Head Mounted Displays for Gaming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Game Journalist Reputation: 407

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,448
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Head Mounted Displays for Gaming

    So, HMD's for gaming have been a dream since the beginning of gaming. There have been a bunch of them over the years. Most of them fail miserably. I've yet to hear of one that didn't suck. The military uses them for a bunch of different stuff.

    But with the rise of Google Glass, I believe more attention will be brought to HMD's for gaming. There is already a sony device out that cost something like 800 Euroes. But it's only compatible with sony blu-rays (I think?) and PS3's.

    I would think that there would be greater interest in HMD's for gaming due to popular manga/anime such as .hack (whose MMO, The World, utilizes HMD's) that it would be more popular.



    Anyways, this thread is to discuss HMD's for gaming. Share your thoughts, opinions, interesting technologies, etc...
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  2. #2
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 35
    Dot_Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Under Your Sheets!
    Posts
    1,190
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    So, HMD's for gaming have been a dream since the beginning of gaming. There have been a bunch of them over the years. Most of them fail miserably. I've yet to hear of one that didn't suck. The military uses them for a bunch of different stuff.

    But with the rise of Google Glass, I believe more attention will be brought to HMD's for gaming. There is already a sony device out that cost something like 800 Euroes. But it's only compatible with sony blu-rays (I think?) and PS3's.


    I would think that there would be greater interest in HMD's for gaming due to popular manga/anime such as .hack (whose MMO, The World, utilizes HMD's) that it would be more popular.



    Anyways, this thread is to discuss HMD's for gaming. Share your thoughts, opinions, interesting technologies, etc...
    The Sony HMD works with anything that can output through HDMI. So, Computers, Xbox, PS3 will all work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizumi View Post
    lol marriage isnt really needed anyway, it was never meant to be between ONE man and ONE woman lol. women were basically property fyi blaze.
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Opolis View Post
    or sick as in she got Leonidas drop kicked in the stomach by a cop? In which case i can agree.

  3. #3
    Game Journalist Reputation: 407

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,448
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dot_Hack View Post
    The Sony HMD works with anything that can output through HDMI. So, Computers, Xbox, PS3 will all work.
    Ah. I guess I was mislead by the website. I suppose it saying that it's compatible with them does not mean that is strictly all they'll work for.

    So, is it any good?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  4. #4
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,462
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    originally i thought the idea was bad but now i like the idea of glasses mounted gadgets.

    i think they will try to make it like the iphone but it will be even better because google glasses will be totally handsfree.

    but i dont know how to use it for gaming so much. i think f it had a wireless connection to a screen/keyboard then it will be ok

    but.. i wud want it to be no heavier or bigger than ordinary spectacles. i dont know how they will do that.

  5. #5
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,787
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    After seeing so many cool instances of it being applied in TV/videogames I gotta say I'd be all for it. In recent years I've seen a lot of people talk about how important immersion into a game is and while I could understand that, I could never understand how the idea of being in a virtual world where you are your own avatar that actually interacts with the world appealed to such a small amount of people. To me, that's the truest form of the the concept when it comes to gaming: to literally be a part of the game you are playing and that's what a HMD can help to simulate.

    But most people seem to be unsure, if not against the idea, as they are when a "new" technology is introduced and mainstreamed. We still live in a time where most people prefer to play video games with a mouse and keyboard or joystick/controller. I've always thought that touch based and motion controls were the first steps toward getting people to accept something like this but to be honest it doesn't look like it's worked out too well. People still think of them as gimmicks with no real practical application in video games, mostly because of how poorly they are implemented or limited in design. Hell, some people still think the DS was a dumb concept.

    And the 3DS?
    "We don't need 3D technology, we just need another analog stick and better graphics."

    *sigh*

    Think about all the reasons people would come up with why they wouldn't want to buy an HMD for gaming:

    "Why would I want to put on a helmet to play a video game when I can view them on my 60" flat screen with my 5.1 surround sound?"
    "Only one person can use it"
    "It's a whole lot of money to just to get one"
    "It's just another useless gimmick, it'll never catch on"
    "It looks dumb/don't like the design"

    Don't think people would say those things? Take a look around the web at what people are already saying about the Wii U, before even trying it or thinking about the potential it could have. First console to have a controller that has a built in touch pad and can stream the audio and visuals from the console and yet a lot of people already hate the idea. Now just what do you think people would say about a headset that acts in the same function?

    I think it's it's a big gamble I think for any company that decides to invest in not only a standardized HMD but games that utilize it to it's fullest potential. They'd have to deal with all of the negative stigma already surrounding this technology, it's history with gaming, and people's general reluctance to try something new.

    But the company that does do it and does it right...damn, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Kashis; 07-14-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

  6. #6
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 35
    Dot_Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Under Your Sheets!
    Posts
    1,190
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Ah. I guess I was mislead by the website. I suppose it saying that it's compatible with them does not mean that is strictly all they'll work for.

    So, is it any good?
    From the reviews that I've seen, the people have loved it. Although each screen is less than an inch in size, it provides 720p and 3D. The main problem that everyone had is that even though it is relatively light and they adjusted it to fit the head, the HMD still puts a lot of pressure on the nose.

    In general, the people couldn't enjoy it for long periods of time because it caused too much pain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizumi View Post
    lol marriage isnt really needed anyway, it was never meant to be between ONE man and ONE woman lol. women were basically property fyi blaze.
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Opolis View Post
    or sick as in she got Leonidas drop kicked in the stomach by a cop? In which case i can agree.

  7. #7
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 233
    SourChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,759
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    After seeing so many cool instances of it being applied in TV/videogames I gotta say I'd be all for it. In recent years I've seen a lot of people talk about how important immersion into a game is and while I could understand that, I could never understand how the idea of being in a virtual world where you are your own avatar that actually interacts with the world appealed to such a small amount of people. To me, that's the truest form of the the concept when it comes to gaming: to literally be a part of the game you are playing and that's what a HMD can help to simulate.

    But most people seem to be unsure, if not against the idea, as they are when a "new" technology is introduced and mainstreamed. We still live in a time where most people prefer to play video games with a mouse and keyboard or joystick/controller. I've always thought that touch based and motion controls were the first steps toward getting people to accept something like this but to be honest it doesn't look like it's worked out too well. People still think of them as gimmicks with no real practical application in video games, mostly because of how poorly they are implemented or limited in design. Hell, some people still think the DS was a dumb concept.

    And the 3DS?
    "We don't need 3D technology, we just need another analog stick and better graphics."

    *sigh*

    Think about all the reasons people would come up with why they wouldn't want to buy an HMD for gaming:

    "Why would I want to put on a helmet to play a video game when I can view them on my 60" flat screen with my 5.1 surround sound?"
    "Only one person can use it"
    "It's a whole lot of money to just to get one"
    "It's just another useless gimmick, it'll never catch on"
    "It looks dumb/don't like the design"

    Don't think people would say those things? Take a look around the web at what people are already saying about the Wii U, before even trying it or thinking about the potential it could have. First console to have a controller that has a built in touch pad and can stream the audio and visuals from the console and yet a lot of people already hate the idea. Now just what do you think people would say about a headset that acts in the same function?

    I think it's it's a big gamble I think for any company that decides to invest in not only a standardized HMD but games that utilize it to it's fullest potential. They'd have to deal with all of the negative stigma already surrounding this technology, it's history with gaming, and people's general reluctance to try something new.

    But the company that does do it and does it right...damn, I'm all for it.
    I could honestly see Razer being the guys that pick the idea up and make something decent of it. At a ridiculously high price, of course.

  8. #8
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,787
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SourChicken View Post
    I could honestly see Razer being the guys that pick the idea up and make something decent of it. At a ridiculously high price, of course.
    I hope so. I hope someone does. I'd be willingly to pay $1K for something like this if they actually had a MMO like in .hack or Sword Art Online. I think it's coming but maybe not for another 5 years minimum before someone even hints at it being a real possibility.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

  9. #9
    Aman Reputation: 193
    Raiyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PAST WHERE THEY PAINT THE HOUSES!
    Posts
    13,577
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I just wonder how bad they would be for your eyes lol.

    If you rescue me, I'll be your friend forever. -- Loric
    Last.fm
    Hey Raiyne

  10. #10
    Detective Kirby Reputation: 10
    Zoilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    My Couch
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SourChicken View Post
    I could honestly see Razer being the guys that pick the idea up and make something decent of it. At a ridiculously high price, of course.
    The price would be over Nine thousandths of a Euro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •