Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 71 of 71

Thread: The dark knight rises shooting 10 dead

  1. #51
    42 Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pok View Post
    We're dealing with large populations, if you don't like statistics what would you suggest? I don't mind responsible people having guns for valid reasons (They don't want to get eaten by bears when camping) but it seems to be statistics and data versus anecdotal evidence when it comes to gun regulation.
    Tossing in unreliable statistics from completely different times isn't credible. Yes, 2-4 years makes a ridiculously massive difference. Regardless, what you may consider a "valid reason" as opposed to what I might consider it are completely two different things. The entire argument on this issue is purely subjective. If you really think that solving it was as simple as throwing around skewed and unreliable statistics, then there wouldn't still be a worldwide issue about it would there?

    There is absolutely no solid evidence to prove one side or the other. Personally, I like being able to own a gun, but that is simply my preference. Yours is obviously different than mine.

    Either way, a couple guys on a gaming forum aren't going to solve a massive, worldwide issue with unreliable statistics found on random internet websites.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Yea since, when you'd turn that around, the trend would obviously be reversed and make people from the UK look like brutal murderous savages.

    Oh, wait, it wouldn't be... Not by a huge margin, an order of magnificence, actually.
    And srsly with this guy.. I will absolutely not take anything you say on this subject seriously, while your signature is still a picture of a man with a gun.

  2. #52
    Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 316
    Pok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,561
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    Tossing in unreliable statistics from completely different times isn't credible. Yes, 2-4 years makes a ridiculously massive difference. Regardless, what you may consider a "valid reason" as opposed to what I might consider it are completely two different things. The entire argument on this issue is purely subjective. If you really think that solving it was as simple as throwing around skewed and unreliable statistics, then there wouldn't still be a worldwide issue about it would there?

    There is absolutely no solid evidence to prove one side or the other. Personally, I like being able to own a gun, but that is simply my preference. Yours is obviously different than mine.

    Either way, a couple guys on a gaming forum aren't going to solve a massive, worldwide issue with unreliable statistics found on random internet websites.
    I agree that our views on what is a valid reason to own a gun is subjective, but I think that there could be a reasonable middle ground.

    My statistics were parts of surveys from the United Nations, not random internet websites, I'm sorry, I didn't think that I needed to cite my source. I'm not trying to falsify data to make my position stronger, I'm taking what that data appears to show and then taking a stance based on that.

    Do you honestly think that the amount of deaths per capita would have been significantly different less than 5 years apart? It seems unlikely. Looking at a graph of U.S. firearm deaths (This one is from a random internet website) it has an incredibly flat line from 2002 to 2007 indicating little to no change in that period.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlazex View Post
    sorry for you have the evil heart in the universe. your type are just destroy are world
    The battle of science vs. religion ended when churches started putting lightning rods on their steeples.

  3. #53
    42 Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pok View Post
    I agree that our views on what is a valid reason to own a gun is subjective, but I think that there could be a reasonable middle ground.

    My statistics were parts of surveys from the United Nations, not random internet websites, I'm sorry, I didn't think that I needed to cite my source. I'm not trying to falsify data to make my position stronger, I'm taking what that data appears to show and then taking a stance based on that.

    Do you honestly think that the amount of deaths per capita would have been significantly different less than 5 years apart? It seems unlikely. Looking at a graph of U.S. firearm deaths (This one is from a random internet website) it has an incredibly flat line from 2002 to 2007 indicating little to no change in that period.
    All I'm saying is that there isn't enough solid evidence to prove that these crimes are specifically influenced by the specifications of the gun laws. I don't believe it is, and I sure as hell don't want to lose my right to own a gun. Despite what Ronin thinks, owning a gun does not make me a savage, I do not intend to kill anyone nor do I intend to make some kind of radical attempt to disrupt the peace. I believe that it is much better to be allowed to have some means of self defense should someone force themselves into my home and endanger the lives of me and my family.

    Cocaine is illegal and strictly "controlled", and yet several millions of dollars worth are smuggled into and distributed throughout the country every year. I just can't be led to believe that guns being strictly controlled makes gun crimes any less prominent. I don't believe that having little-to-no gun control lessens gun crime either, but I do believe that it at least gives the would-be victims of home invasion or robbery a way of prevention.

    As far as the Batman incident, guns aren't allowed in movie theaters and, even if they were, the one civilian weapon that could have pierced through his ballistics armor (FN Five-Seven "cop killer") was redesigned long ago and is only offered with sporting rounds.

    Just because that guy had a gun, doesn't have anything to do with the gun law. The guy's apartment was booby trapped to hell with bombs as well as other traps meant specifically to kill cops who tried to enter. That has absolutely nothing to do with the gun law. That is just proof of how easy people can still get things regardless of legality. The fact that this one incident sparked this huge political dilemma and invoked "I told you so"s from other countries is just retarded. Nobody cares about the fact that the guy had Armor, SWAT uniforms and an assload of explosives; all people cared about was a reason to start shit about America's gun laws. (not implying that you started shit, I'm talking about the worldwide chatter that this shooting caused)

  4. #54
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    He didn't "have a gun" though.

    He had an assault rifle, 3 Glocks and a shotgun and several thousands of rounds for each, in addition to tear gas grenades.

    That's why it is about gun control.
    Can you look up how long it took to get that? In the range of a decade, carefully maneuvering the criminal underground? Or was it rather something in the range of 2 workweeks?

    Well, anyways instead of being god damn freaking impossible to pull of, he took less time to prep, than I did to decide, if I wanted to go watch "The Avengers". I'm sure though, had it taken some 15 years, he would have totally stuck to it.

    @sig:
    You don't suggest that a picture of a gun can be used to shoot bullets?
    Why am I even having it? Because the character is ambivalent as hell. That makes the Iceman interesting, beyond what gear he carries.
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-23-2012 at 08:47 AM.

    Stay frosty.

  5. #55
    42 Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    He didn't "have a gun" though.

    He had an assault rifle, 3 Glocks and a shotgun and several thousands of rounds for each, in addition to tear gas grenades.

    That's why it is about gun control.
    Can you look up how long it took to get that? In the range of a decade, carefully maneuvering the criminal underground? Or was it rather something in the range of 2 workweeks?

    Well, anyways instead of being god damn freaking impossible to pull of, he took less time to prep, than I did to decide, if I wanted to go watch "The Avengers". I'm sure though, had it taken some 15 years, he would have totally stuck to it.
    Are tear gas grenades guns? no. Are you taking into consideration the massive amount of explosives this guy had? no. He was a mentally insane radical who had the means of obtaining illegal weapons, and would have done the same damn thing regardless of the gun law. You're just making up information to try and justify your case. There is no "decade, carefully maneuvering the criminal underground". You can buy a vast array of weapons, drugs, etc. through various networks of people (as the "criminal underground" isn't just a single thing) and have them within a week or less. Looking for something of a shipment, or larger quantities is a whole other story, but even that would take half a year tops.

    Do you realize that the US isn't the only country with loose gun laws? Look at Switzerland. Not only is everyone allowed to have guns, the government fcking gives them guns for preparation in case they need militia forces. The gun crime rate in Switzerland isn't sht, though. The amount of shootings in Switzerland is little over a third of stabbings. Who pays attention to what happens in Switzerland though? Half the world is so fixated on the US that every single thing that happens is blown completely out of proportions, even by US citizens who are ignorant to the truths of the situation, as you've so pleasantly demonstrated.

    You don't know what you're talking about: Hitman Victor with the picture of a guy with a gun as his signature.. the irony is nauseating.

  6. #56
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about: Hitman Victor with the picture of a guy with a gun as his signature.. the irony is nauseating.
    YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


    Remembers me of the time, where I had George Harrison as my avatar.
    For some reason that doesn't allow me to think that taking drugs is mildly speaking a poor lifechoice.

    Well, it is.

    A picture of a gun doesn't make guns good.

    You wana know what a picture is; What you project into it.

    Swizerland doesn't have loose gun laws anyways, but you wouldn't know that. Now I could go into a polemic triade... Maybe say you get your information from NRA weekly mags or things like that.
    I could also do a rant how you know nothing about society, history and how humanity works.

    That's words.

    A gun is a tool. It doesn't hold any form of sentiment to me, different than a screwdriver does. That comes from spending hours and hours on maintaining them and lugging them around on duty.
    I know where I live I will never have to fear guns. No one will have them and no one will shoot me; They are about as much a part of my worries as a meteorie hitting my head on the sidewalk.

    Now you do not want this kind of life?
    Fair deal.
    I call you stupid for that, I hope you don't take too much offence.
    Have fun with your fear, cherish your paranoia and give your gun a nice warm hug from me.

    @ Switzerland:
    A) Don't just buy into any kind of shit you pick up in tabloid headlines.
    I served together with a Switz fellow (dual citizenship). The sentiment the Switz population has towards the "store your military service weapon at home" was never anything but worried and full of doubt. Switzerland has an overwhelming number of strategic disadvantages, which forces it to come up with desperate schemes for self defense. Since the old threats are more and more implausible, this is under heavy debate.
    A Switz might even feel tempted to choose serving abroad for a nation not his home, to escape this and let me tell you this guy was an athlete, Tom Clancy fan and tbh, probably the most capable man in the unit and definitely anything but anti-military. He could have just the same picked unarmed service, which he didn't.
    Hardly anyone in Switzerland thinks that forcing (which is what actually happens) people to store guns is anything but a burden.

    (Hitman victor was the callsign they used for their Humvees, in Generation Kill which they spent the whole series in. The stuff is getting old and obscure by now. I have been to lazy to change my sig for the last larger number of month. There is even a picture in it that 404s, lol. I'd also update you on the use of the word ironic, but it's really up to you, if you want to save yourself from looking dumber than you could, so it's also up to you to find out how it works.)

    Considering buying any Assault rifle where I life:
    You can't.
    That's the difference I am talking about.
    Not on how it would work in the US... That's a pointless argument, he bought them in the store.
    Ofc. an illegal AK costs nothing in Afghanistan since you might just find one lying around in your area if you look hard and long enough. Yes there is actually a NGO that had built a statistical index build around the price of an AK in any respective country, legal or illegal. Yes it does correlate to the chance of violent death by AK.

    Oh effin realy... What a suprise.

    But, please, please ask me for statistical evidence on that. Pretty please. Because it's all a lie, obviousely, made up to slant guns and also a scheme to make it look like you are wrong.
    Guns are keeping people safe. Nobody ever happens to die when guns are around, the idea is ridiculous.

    (And while we are at honing our humor knowledge that's sarcasm.)
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.

    Stay frosty.

  7. #57
    42 Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


    Remembers me of the time, where I had George Harrison as my avatar.
    For some reason that doesn't allow me to think that taking drugs is mildly speaking a poor lifechoice.

    Well, it is.

    A picture of a gun doesn't make guns good.

    You wana know what a picture is; What you project into it.

    Swizerland doesn't have loose gun laws anyways, but you wouldn't know that. Now I could go into a polemic triade... Maybe say you get your information from NRA weekly mags or things like that.
    I could also do a rant how you know nothing about society, history and how humanity works.

    That's words.

    A gun is a tool. It doesn't hold any form of sentiment to me, different than a screwdriver does. That comes from spending hours and hours on maintaining them and lugging them around on duty.
    I know where I live I will never have to fear guns. No one will have them and no one will shoot me; They are about as much a part of my worries as a meteorie hitting my head on the sidewalk.

    Now you do not want this kind of life?
    Fair deal.
    I call you stupid for that, I hope you don't take too much offence.
    Have fun with your fear, cherish your paranoia and give your gun a nice warm hug from me.
    lol fear and paranoia? you are mistaken.

    Everything you have said is your opinion just as everything I have said is. I can argue your ignorance just as much as you can argue mine. Either way, it is a matter of opinion, and nothing more. Don't try to act like you're above me; because you aren't. Talking to you has been a complete waste of time, other than releasing the anger that you just perpetually replace with more. With that being said, this thread is dead, and I have no more reason to talk to you on the subject.


    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I call you stupid
    I know you are but what am I! *runs away*
    Last edited by SqueezyTime; 07-23-2012 at 10:38 AM.

  8. #58
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Fig50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    Peace starts with letting some jackass break into your house and kill you? really? You'd rather die at the hands of someone who doesn't give have a **** about you and is only trying to gain off of your misfortune, than have the means to protect yourself in the situation? Out of sheer pride...
    You do know that civilians who own guns have died many times at the hands of their own weapon during robberies right?
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    Are tear gas grenades guns? no. Are you taking into consideration the massive amount of explosives this guy had? no. He was a mentally insane radical who had the means of obtaining illegal weapons, and would have done the same damn thing regardless of the gun law.
    You don't know what you're talking about: Hitman Victor with the picture of a guy with a gun as his signature.. the irony is nauseating.
    Who are you to call this guy mentally insane?? He had 4 months to plan this through, it seems apparent to me that he knew what he was doing. Using our laws to help criminal's escape is what's nauseating.

  9. #59
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    Talking to you has been a complete waste of time, other than releasing the anger that you just perpetually replace with more.
    You read way to much into it. This isn't a fight. I don't actually "enjoy" disagreeing. You don't have to be angry.

    Stay frosty.

  10. #60
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Fig50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    Because with gun control, only the bad guys have the guns and if the bad guys know that they are the only ones with firearms, they sure as hell are more willing to do what they do. Please use your brain when it comes to this subject.
    No, those who work for the military, police, government, etc will still have their firearms, and i'm positive that it is impossible to NOT use your brain when thinking about any subject.
    Last edited by Fig50; 07-23-2012 at 03:11 PM.

  11. #61
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Computer?
    Posts
    5,171
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig50 View Post
    No, those who work for the military, police, government
    I already said bad guys. Why do I have to repeat myself? Or are you somehow not aware of the many murders done on innocent people on 'accident' by the police which leads to none of them being punished for said murders. Or how about the mass genocide committed across the world by soldiers and you honestly don't think they are willing to do the same on the home front seeing as how they now have the power to do so based on laws that are close to the states being in martial law?

  12. #62
    42 Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig50 View Post
    You do know that civilians who own guns have died many times at the hands of their own weapon during robberies right? Who are you to call this guy mentally insane?? He had 4 months to plan this through, it seems apparent to me that he knew what he was doing. Using our laws to help criminal's escape is what's nauseating.
    Intricate planning does not make him sane. In fact, someone who can devise such schemes is, more often than not, found to be insane. What do you know of this guy other than this shooting? The fact that there were many people in his life who found him to be creepy and not all there? The peculiar answering machine message on his phone? The psychobabble he spewed while in jail? Yeah..

  13. #63
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Fig50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    I already said bad guys. Why do I have to repeat myself? Or are you somehow not aware of the many murders done on innocent people on 'accident' by the police which leads to none of them being punished for said murders. Or how about the mass genocide committed across the world by soldiers and you honestly don't think they are willing to do the same on the home front seeing as how they now have the power to do so based on laws that are close to the states being in martial law?
    You seem to think that the government is just one big conspiracy don't you? I have no interest in discussing that with you. You didn't even quote the whole sentence that I posted. If you're asking if i'm aware of the war that goes on in the world the answer is yes. I do agree with you on the "guns or not, people will still find another way to kill someone if they really want to" post, but I do believe there is always room for improvement regarding laws and such.

  14. #64
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Fig50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    Intricate planning does not make him sane. In fact, someone who can devise such schemes is, more often than not, found to be insane. What do you know of this guy other than this shooting? The fact that there were many people in his life who found him to be creepy and not all there? The peculiar answering machine message on his phone? The psychobabble he spewed while in jail? Yeah..
    And you don't know whether or not he is a "mentally insane radical", unless you have interviewed him and are qualified to do so.
    Last edited by Fig50; 07-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.

  15. #65
    42 Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig50 View Post
    And you don't know whether or not he is a "mentally insane radical", unless you have interviewed him and are qualified to do so.
    I can make my opinions of him just as well as you can. I don't need a qualification for that. His actions clearly shout "mentally insane radical", in my opinion, so that is what I'm going to see of him. You people are so fking haughty over the internet it's nauseating.

  16. #66
    Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10
    Jemcrystal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    I actually enjoyed seeing midnight premieres at that theater but I think its safe to say I wont be making the trip there ever again. We sure do like our mass-shootings in Colorado.
    Don't drink the water in Colorado???

  17. #67
    42 Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jemcrystal View Post
    Don't drink the water in Colorado???
    It could be filled with bullets!!

  18. #68
    Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    2 more people die in hospital thats 12.

  19. #69
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 12
    BoomThunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,821
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Have we heard anything about how he was as a teenager? Were there a bunch of signs like with Cho?

  20. #70
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Computer?
    Posts
    5,171
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Gotta love being able to back up what I say about the police. How about what happened in Anaheim yesterday? Two officers confront three males in an alley way. The three run off and the two officers persue two of them. One of the officers opens fire on one of them running and he dies later on. Multiple sources and witnesses say the officer opened fire only because he did not stop running. There was no weapon on the runner and no threat to the officer. The officer simply started opening fire on him while on pursuit. Later that day a protest breaks out demanding how shooting someone for simply running is justified. According to actual video and witnesses, the police, without warning, start shooting into the crowd which included woman, children and infants with rubber bullets / bean bag rounds which by the way, can kill a grown man if you shoot in the wrong place, yet there are clearly babies and kids there. They also then release a dog which attacks a woman holding her baby and others.


  21. #71
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomThunda View Post
    Have we heard anything about how he was as a teenager? Were there a bunch of signs like with Cho?
    The officials want to brand it as a "no one could stop him" afaik.

    Ofc, it's bogus, but putting it black and white is easier to digest.

    Stay frosty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •