Thread: PS3 Media Server (freakin awesome!)

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 829

Default PS3 Media Server (freakin awesome!)

Any of you guys who own a ps3 are aware of this amazing little program? (i bet im the only 1 who wasnt aware of it -.- lol)
    just to explain what it does. its a free program you run on your computer, it will search for your playstation 3 trough your wired or wireless internet connection and once its been found, ALL your files on your pc are visable on your ps3!
    but here starts the best thing of all. u can play/stream ALL images, music and video files from your pc, on your playstation 3 even if your ps3 doesnt support the filetype, since your computer is doing all the work here.
    that means u can download a 1080p movie or anime of any format and instantly play it of from your ps3 on your big television screen without delay

no need to convert mkv files anymore, no need to wait minutes to transfer files from your computer to your ps3, no need to buy and hook up your ps3/pc with extra cables.. this is like a dream come true for me lol. i'm suprised i had never heard about it o.O

dunno i just felt like making a thread about it, im so super happy right now

edit: just read up, you need a pretty beefy computer for transcoding filetypes your ps3 doesnt support though, however my pc isnt exactly top notch and i didnt had to configure anything. everything works still perfect.
    Last edited by Abhorsen; 07-26-2012 at 10:09 PM.

TOTALFVCKBOY Reputation: 762

That sounds really sweet! I'll look this up.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

Yeah.... uhm. You're a bit late on this. I've been using this for ages when I sit downstairs with my ps3 and I've got a movie I want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksin View Post
    Yeah.... uhm. You're a bit late on this. I've been using this for ages when I sit downstairs with my ps3 and I've got a movie I want to watch.
    why didnt you tell meeee xD

btw i read its also posible to make it work on xbox but i dunno if u need to do anything for that.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    why didnt you tell meeee xD

btw i read its also posible to make it work on xbox but i dunno if u need to do anything for that.
    The xbox can't be wireless connected on a mediaserver, but it requires a ethernet cable. You also need xbox live for it though.
    I once followed a guide to make my banned xbox360 into a mediaserver, but it wouldn't work without xbox live.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksin View Post
    The xbox can't be wireless connected on a mediaserver, but it requires a ethernet cable. You also need xbox live for it though.
    I once followed a guide to make my banned xbox360 into a mediaserver, but it wouldn't work without xbox live.
    oh thats strange lol, oh well it sounds u got it working now though :P unless u own both a xbox and ps3.
    the 1080p releases of sword art online from horriblesubs (anime) look amazing on my sony bravia television in vivid mode lol. (dont worry i will buy it once they release a dvd collection, which is probably still years from now on lol) not a single stutter either. im gonna rewatch all my anime that are not for sale anymore, or not for sale yet :P or just too darn expensive to buy like all eps of bleach and naruto lol. hellsing ultimate 5 till episode 9 isnt for sale in my country yet either so i can watch those too now :3

Pellet Eater Reputation: 17

Sounds unnecessary. I've always just used the hdmi cord from the ps3 and connected it from my laptop to the back of the TV, or if its my macbook I use a DVI adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dameo View Post
    Sounds unnecessary. I've always just used the hdmi cord from the ps3 and connected it from my laptop to the back of the TV, or if its my macbook I use a DVI adapter.
    with this you dont need that hdmi cord :P and u dont need your laptop either since all files are accessed from your ps3. (the laptop just needs to be on)
    i can just go chill on the couch, grab my controller and access my video files on my pc
    Last edited by Abhorsen; 07-27-2012 at 12:06 AM.

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

I use an external drive and netflix. That gives me everything I need.

Hoshigami Reputation: 427

I wasn't aware of this. I'm going to look into it.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

"Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    I use an external drive and netflix. That gives me everything I need.
    i heard of netflix yeah, too bad its not available in the netherlands hehe. and its not free either :P

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

Aw. Its pretty sweet. I don't mind paying the $8 a month for the convenience. Its not that I am morally against piracy nor that I don't know how to do it. Its just that I'm too lazy to even steal things LOL. What has this digital age done to me!?

Retired Staff Reputation: 492

PLEX Media Server > PS3 Media Server. PS3's Media Server has far too much CPU usage.