Gnomoria (think Dwarf Fortress)

Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 85

Default Gnomoria (think Dwarf Fortress)

Hello folks, I ran a search and nothing came up so if I somehow missed it MY BAD! My, has it really been 5 years since I've actually made a thread? Anyway...

If you have played Dwarf Fortress this is pretty much it, except with Isometric tiles (If you've seen/tried Stonesense for DF you will see the resemblance) and a mouse driven interface. With that said, It's much simpler and easier to look at but at the same time isn't exactly as complex and there are some differences.

And so... GNOMORIA!

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomoria
    Gnomoria is a sandbox village management game where you help lead a small group of gnomes, who have set out on their own, to thrive into a bustling kingdom! Anything you see can be broken down and rebuilt elsewhere. Craft items, build structures, set traps and dig deep underground in search of precious resources to help your gnomes survive the harsh lands. Build your kingdom and stockpile wealth to attract wandering gnomads to your cause, but be wary of also attracting enemies!
    The developer is pulling a Notch with this project, so you have to purchase the Alpha but (I BELIEVE) that nets you the full game when it releases, It's going to go for 9.99 but is 20% off for the duration of the Alpha so you can grab it for 7.99, and of course there's a demo you can try.

I've only played it a little bit, but It's pretty fun and the idea of a more accessible Dwarf Fortress makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. OF COURSE, If you're a die-hard DF fan then this may well seem slower, find the isometric tiles too intrusive and the mouse driven interface much more cumbersome and the fact that so much inspiration was drawn from DF a lot of folks start squawking about CLONEZ, but take my advice and just enjoy it for what it is.

So, if you aren't over protective about Dwarf Fortress or found Dwarf Fortress really interesting but couldn't get past the ascii/interface/complexity then this is for you.

http://gnomoria.com/

There's also a slew of screenshots in the media section and some let's plays on Youtube.

EDIT: Wiki link if anyone wants/needs to peruse some of the mechanics and familiarize themselves. http://www.gnomoriawiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
    Last edited by Stranger; 08-08-2012 at 04:00 AM.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 34

nice find dude, i never got into dwarf fortress much myself because im not very good at ASCII games and dwarf fortress seems pretty complicated so i generally stayed away from it (aside from watching some people on youtube play it because they know what the hell they are doing)

but maybe i can give this a shot sometime

Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 85

Gnomoria has updated to v0.8.8

Changelog:
    Version 0.8.8
    General:
    Training Grounds - Workshop that can have a stationed squad. Squad members will take turns sparring to train combat skills.
    When "any" is chosen in uniforms, gnomes will find the best available. If two weapons are of the same tier of metal, gnomes will pick the one they have higher skill with
    Added "any two-hand" option for weapons in the uniform
    Notification for spotted enemies with option to automatically pause and move

Art:
    Added blade trap tiles
    Updated spike trap to animate

Bug Fixes:
    Crash in workshop queue when pressing "Cancel" and then immediately pressing "Move Up" or "Move Down"
    Crash in workshop queue when moving a job after the current workshop job has been suspended due to inaccessible components
    Patrol Routes not loading properly
    Not dropping non-weapon items when combat ends if the uniform has "any" weapon selected
    Two-handed weapons not dropping properly
    Torches being counted in every category in the stock totals overview UI
    Some constructions being subtracted twice from total construction worth

Quote Originally Posted by chris183 View Post
    nice find dude, i never got into dwarf fortress much myself because im not very good at ASCII games and dwarf fortress seems pretty complicated so i generally stayed away from it (aside from watching some people on youtube play it because they know what the hell they are doing)

but maybe i can give this a shot sometime
    Thanks, man. Dwarf Fortress is not for the faint of heart lol, this game is definitely easier to get hang of which is why I love it.

Don't be deceived too much though, even a dumbed down Dwarf Fortress is a little more complex than your average game is. I'll throw a link to the Gnomoria wiki in the op just in case anyone needs some assistance.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010