How many Codecs can I safely install?

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Default How many Codecs can I safely install?

Can I keep downloading Codecs till my PC bursts or should I make an effort to remove the ones I already have before installing more (if possible and I wouldn't even know how)?

In Sims 2 my movie capture has never completely worked even after reinstall and use on several home computers and different disks. It let me capture uncompressed and I have been happy with that until now. Now I want to know what it would be like to alter the video shoot options. If I try I get a popup that says, "You do not have the correct codec installed," even tho obviously I do because it came with the Sims 2 CD.

Thinking of trying vp6_decoder and/or K-Lite. When I go to K-Lite's site they advice download all packages for 32-bit and 64-bit just in case you run into someone's 32-bit PC made vid (mine is 64).

I do not know anything about Codecs other than they compress movie files. I do not know what Codecs I already have. I do not know if you can install to many on your PC. Any thoughts?

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

I found the Codec that goes with Sims 2 game here: http://www.moviecodec.com/download-v...p6-decoder-16/

I also found out Windows Movie Maker is crap and unsupported. Microsoft is putting it's effort into Windows Live Movie Maker. WMM cannot be removed/uninstalled. Just ignore it.

I never installed K-Lite because Windows Vista has their own pack on a more secured site if I want to go that route. I have been told do not put extra codecs in because they could clash. Literally people say, "If it is not broke, don't fix it."

I do not use FRAPS because I lost my password when my PC crashed and I had to replace a memory chip. I'm not paying for their service twice. Most games come with their own recording options now anyway.

I consider this matter closed. Thread archive.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Jemcrystal View Post
    I also found out Windows Movie Maker is crap and unsupported. Microsoft is putting it's effort into Windows Live Movie Maker.
    Also crap.