How many Codecs can I safely install?

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Default How many Codecs can I safely install?

Can I keep downloading Codecs till my PC bursts or should I make an effort to remove the ones I already have before installing more (if possible and I wouldn't even know how)?

In Sims 2 my movie capture has never completely worked even after reinstall and use on several home computers and different disks. It let me capture uncompressed and I have been happy with that until now. Now I want to know what it would be like to alter the video shoot options. If I try I get a popup that says, "You do not have the correct codec installed," even tho obviously I do because it came with the Sims 2 CD.

Thinking of trying vp6_decoder and/or K-Lite. When I go to K-Lite's site they advice download all packages for 32-bit and 64-bit just in case you run into someone's 32-bit PC made vid (mine is 64).

I do not know anything about Codecs other than they compress movie files. I do not know what Codecs I already have. I do not know if you can install to many on your PC. Any thoughts?

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

I found the Codec that goes with Sims 2 game here: http://www.moviecodec.com/download-v...p6-decoder-16/

I also found out Windows Movie Maker is crap and unsupported. Microsoft is putting it's effort into Windows Live Movie Maker. WMM cannot be removed/uninstalled. Just ignore it.

I never installed K-Lite because Windows Vista has their own pack on a more secured site if I want to go that route. I have been told do not put extra codecs in because they could clash. Literally people say, "If it is not broke, don't fix it."

I do not use FRAPS because I lost my password when my PC crashed and I had to replace a memory chip. I'm not paying for their service twice. Most games come with their own recording options now anyway.

I consider this matter closed. Thread archive.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Jemcrystal View Post
    I also found out Windows Movie Maker is crap and unsupported. Microsoft is putting it's effort into Windows Live Movie Maker.
    Also crap.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.