Best Action MMORPG that is our right now?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. #51
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    You should try C9 or Raiderz,Dragon Nest is good too but I prefer that two games,anyway if are willing to spend some money buy GW2 Just my opinion

  2. #52
    Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 11
    LastDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I'd say that there aren't any good action mmorpgs on the market. Each one seems to just be your typical mmo with more mouse clicking and less use of a hotbar. The mmo formula really needs to be broken for the genre to continue. But as of now all MMO are just copies of each other. And whenever a copy is copied it loses quality.

  3. #53
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LastDemon View Post
    I'd say that there aren't any good action mmorpgs on the market. Each one seems to just be your typical mmo with more mouse clicking and less use of a hotbar. The mmo formula really needs to be broken for the genre to continue. But as of now all MMO are just copies of each other. And whenever a copy is copied it loses quality.
    A lot of MMOs that I've played are vastly different, but I don't generally characterize similar features as "copies" of each other. What you're saying is basically they should get rid of the MMORPG genre altogether. If you take away the FPS formula, then you don't have an FPS. It's the same with any genre.

    Also absolutely any game that uses the mouse on a computer is going to involve mouse clicking. Look at absolutely any game utilizing a mouse. Even single player games like the recent port Darksiders 2. The game is 90% clicking, and yet it's a great game that many people enjoy. It works the exact same way as these action MMORPGs which, in turn, work the same exact way as any other action game in existence that uses a mouse+keyboard.

    People get so hung up on trying to link all the similarities of MMOs together that they just assume the entire genre is a bunch of generic copies of each other, without even realizing that EVERY genre is built by games with similar qualities, features, mechanics, etc. There is no "breaking the MMO formula" just like there is "breaking the FPS formula". The people that think the genre needs to change are just the people who don't like the genre. It's the same as people who hate RTS games saying "they need to change them to a different genre."
    Last edited by SqueezyTime; 08-27-2012 at 05:34 PM.


  4. #54
    Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 35
    SorenEmblem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tachikawa City
    Posts
    3,206
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    But there's a difference between changing a game to an entirely different genre, and wanting the flaws of a genre to be fixed. And the thing about the MMO genre is that it's such a broad, expansive term; there really aren't many conditions to calling your game an MMORPG. It just needs to be an online game with RPG mechanics; the rest of the gameplay mechanics are solely up to the developers. Wanting a game to have more unique features and gameplay elements to separate it from other games isn't much of a stretch, especially in the MMO genre since most games directly copy games like Everquest and WoW but they add some stupid gimmick to make it appear different when it's really the same shit with a new coat of paint.

    Also, I can't wait for people to start complaining about GW2 once the shiny new car smell wears off.

    Also, for the OP, I'd recommend Dungeon Fighter Online or C9.
    Last edited by SorenEmblem; 08-27-2012 at 08:31 PM.

  5. #55
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenEmblem View Post
    most games directly copy games like Everquest and WoW but they add some stupid gimmick to make it appear different when it's really the same shit with a new coat of paint.
    There is absolutely nothing true about that statement.
    Every RPG copies games like Final Fantasy? Every FPS copies games like Doom? Every RTS copies games like C&C?
    They're all just as similar to each other as MMORPGs are. The things that you call "flaws" are only flaws to you because you, personally, don't like them. To someone who actually likes MMORPGs they aren't flaws.


  6. #56
    Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 35
    SorenEmblem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tachikawa City
    Posts
    3,206
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    There is absolutely nothing true about that statement.
    Every RPG copies games like Final Fantasy? Every FPS copies games like Doom? Every RTS copies games like C&C?
    They're all just as similar to each other as MMORPGs are. The things that you call "flaws" are only flaws to you because you, personally, don't like them. To someone who actually likes MMORPGs they aren't flaws.
    Yes there is. Look at most of the MMO's on the market; they're all the same game but with a simple gimmick slapped onto it in an attempt to make it seem different. I mean, Ether Saga was just a copypaste of Perfect World but with a chibi artstyle and a unique pet system or something like that. Then there was Luna Online, which was again a copypaste of the generic MMO mold with its token gimmick being the unique relationship system. Trickster Online is a copypasta of the generic MMO mold with its gimmick being furries and the drilling system.

    This problem doesn't happen in many other genres. Not all RPG's are like Final Fantasy; the Tales series, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, and several other franchises prove you wrong because they drastically differ from the "mold" established by the Final Fantasy series. Most FPS's these days copy Call of Duty because that's the industry giant, just like MMO's these days try to copy WoW because that's the industry giant.

    If you think any of this isn't true, you're just deluding yourself, tbh.

  7. #57
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126
    Rya.Reisender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,361
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    But particularly action MMORPGs are quite special and different from the norm. Plus many MMORPGs are quite different from each other, unless you really compare the different PW games which all use the same engine anyway.

    It's not different from the variety in RPGs at all.

    Besides, who says that copying a gameplay mechanic that worked out in the past is a bad thing?

  8. #58
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 90
    SqueezyTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenEmblem View Post
    Yes there is. Look at most of the MMO's on the market; they're all the same game but with a simple gimmick slapped onto it in an attempt to make it seem different. I mean, Ether Saga was just a copypaste of Perfect World but with a chibi artstyle and a unique pet system or something like that. Then there was Luna Online, which was again a copypaste of the generic MMO mold with its token gimmick being the unique relationship system. Trickster Online is a copypasta of the generic MMO mold with its gimmick being furries and the drilling system.

    This problem doesn't happen in many other genres. Not all RPG's are like Final Fantasy; the Tales series, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, and several other franchises prove you wrong because they drastically differ from the "mold" established by the Final Fantasy series. Most FPS's these days copy Call of Duty because that's the industry giant, just like MMO's these days try to copy WoW because that's the industry giant.

    If you think any of this isn't true, you're just deluding yourself, tbh.
    Final Fantasy, the entire Tales series, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile all carry the same RPG elements. That's why they're all called RPGs. I know how RPGs are, because I've played more RPGs than I can count. Regardless of how you see it, I see many similarities in them, as well as many differences. The same goes for the MMORPGs I've played. The way you're looking at MMORPGs is just taking everything at face alone. You focusing on the entire genre and completely ignoring the individuality of each game. I know for a fact that there are many differences between every single one of those MMOs you've listed, because I've played them all..

    You say I'm deluding myself as if your word is the absolute truth, which it isn't. The fact that we disagree sure as hell doesn't mean that I'm deluding myself, and if that's really how you think then obviously you're the one who's deluding yourself. Anyways, we both have our opinions, and we clearly look at games under a completely different light. On the plus side, I at least get to enjoy MMOs a little bit more because I can take in all of the uniqueness and personality of each game that you just can't see.


  9. #59
    Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 35
    SorenEmblem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tachikawa City
    Posts
    3,206
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I understand that there are MMO's that are different, MMO's that break the mold. Vindictus, DFO, Rusty Hearts, Maplestory, LaTale, Final Fantasy XI, etc. all break the standard MMORPG mold. We need more games like that, not this samey bullcrap that developers (mostly Korean devs) keep shoving on us.

    Please enlighten me as to how the likes of Grand Fantasea and Kitsu Saga are different from games like Trickster and Ether Saga, aside from the obvious graphical differences and the one or two gimmicks each game is based around? They all have the same combat system, the same leveling/questing methods, and very similar character customisation options. The only differences are the visuals and the gimmicky shit.

  10. #60
    AM I PRETTY NOW SENPAI~ Reputation: 168
    Arri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    Final Fantasy, the entire Tales series, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile all carry the same RPG elements. That's why they're all called RPGs.
    That's the point people are trying to make here. If you play WoW, then play another generic korean MMO, you feel like you are playing a less polished version of WoW with a different coat of paint. Nobody seems to be arguing that MMOs have certain elements required to be an MMO, same with RPGs, FPS, MMORPG, MMOFPS, etc.

    But I think this is a matter of personal opinion at this point. If someone took WoW, copied it 99%, then added one single feature that isn't even that great, and that makes you feel that the game is "different" enough from WoW, then good for you. Others won't see it that way.

    For example, back when I played TOR and WoW, YES, they played similarly, because they are both MMORPGs. NOBODY is arguing that point. I knew TOR had the same gameplay mechanics as WoW, but I had fun with it anyway because it was different enough for me. My friend, on the other hand, got bored pretty quickly because to them it was "just another WoW clone"

    Though, Soren, trying to say that a 3d MMO and an isometric MMO are exactly the same with no differences whatsoever is kinda falling into the same territory.


Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •