Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally getting around to building my PC - need help

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 18
    Last edited by LaxFogo; 08-29-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Retired Staff Reputation: 714

Get this for motherboard instead.
    The GTX670 offers near equal, in some cases even better, performance than the GTX680 so you can save 100USD on that.
    You might want to get an Antec Kuhler or Corsair Hydro for CPU cooling. They're closed water circuits that offer superior cooling to air cooling and they require no maintenance.

Rest looks fine.
    I can't help you on the speakers though. Seems a bit pointless to have one for both PC and TV seeing you might need to drag the cable around etc. It's not possible to connect them both at the same time afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    Get this for motherboard instead.
    The GTX670 offers near equal, in some cases even better, performance than the GTX680 so you can save 100USD on that.
    You might want to get an Antec Kuhler or Corsair Hydro for CPU cooling. They're closed water circuits that offer superior cooling to air cooling and they require no maintenance.

Rest looks fine.
    I can't help you on the speakers though. Seems a bit pointless to have one for both PC and TV seeing you might need to drag the cable around etc. It's not possible to connect them both at the same time afaik.
    Well, I'll just have the speaker hooked up to my pc then. This is my first time building a pc, would watercooling be a bit complicated?

Doesn't look too complicated, does it?

As for the speakers in that case, wouldn't a headset be a bit better?

Doesn't look too complicated, does it?

As for the speakers in that case, wouldn't a headset be a bit better?
    I decided to go with this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181016

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 61

Unless you go for the high end liquid cooling solution that cost a couple of hundred it is instead better to go for air cooling.
    CPU Heatsinks like the Noctua NH-D14 will actually perform better than the cheap liquid cooling solutions.

42 Reputation: 90

Quote Originally Posted by RyviusRan View Post
    Unless you go for the high end liquid cooling solution that cost a couple of hundred it is instead better to go for air cooling.
    CPU Heatsinks like the Noctua NH-D14 will actually perform better than the cheap liquid cooling solutions.
    Wouldn't say that's the case with all cheaper coolers. more $ != better. My friend got a Corsair cooler (just asked and it was the H100) and his i7 stays around 34c while gaming. Which is perfect. Having the need to go any lower than that is just an obsession.

Passive cooling won't be enough for that i5 and even high end cpu fans get a lot noisier under stress than a water pump. So my preference would be for that cooler. I highly doubt the H80 is a massive drop from the H100 (even if it is it's a $10 difference to get the H100).
    Last edited by SqueezyTime; 08-30-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 156

Liquid cooling is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by ZormaX View Post
    Liquid cooling is scary.
    It seems scary because it uses water, but it isn't really dangerous. Liquid coolers can usually last years before having any problems, and cracking/somehow releasing water into the case is a rare incident that's probably caused by user error anyways, I would say. The worst thing I've seen is someone screwing it on too tight and cracking the motherboard.. which is kind of retarded since they must have used some incredible hulk strength to even do that.

*off topic: Your inbox is full.
    Last edited by SqueezyTime; 08-30-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 156

Thanks and now its not (:

Quote Originally Posted by SqueezyTime View Post
    Wouldn't say that's the case with all cheaper coolers. more $ != better. My friend got a Corsair cooler (just asked and it was the H100) and his i7 stays around 34c while gaming. Which is perfect. Having the need to go any lower than that is just an obsession.

Passive cooling won't be enough for that i5 and even high end cpu fans get a lot noisier under stress than a water pump. So my preference would be for that cooler. I highly doubt the H80 is a massive drop from the H100 (even if it is it's a $10 difference to get the H100).
    The Noctua NH-D14 has won out in temps against those cheap all in one liquid coolers.
    Also the Noctua NH-D14 is almost completely silent.

And there are many air coolers in it's price range which perform around the same and are just as quiet.

The size of the NH-D14 kind of puts me off. You can't use RAM with tall heat spreaders to name one thing. Other than that it also offers superior cooling.

The Noctua NH-D14 has won out in temps against those cheap all in one liquid coolers.
    Also the Noctua NH-D14 is almost completely silent.

And there are many air coolers in it's price range which perform around the same and are just as quiet.
    If those coolers can keep an i7 < 40c under stress then it doesn't matter if the air cooler is better. A CPU isn't going to perform any better at 30c than it will at 35-40c, so it's all just a matter of preference.

The one thing I don't like about that air cooler is how big and heavy it is. I've seen coolers like that cause damage to a motherboard over time, not to mention issues you may or may not have with space. On several motherboards the RAM slots are very close to the CPU and having gaming RAM with large heatsinks, you'll definitely have a problem on some motherboards. With a water cooler you aren't putting stress on the motherboard and you can move the pump to accommodate any space issues.

Either way, it's just a matter of who prefers what. They both keep the CPU just as cool either way.

Hell, even my V8 kept my Q9550 at 43C max under load at stock speeds. You're most likely even better off with a cheaper one if you're not OCing.

Still, I only recommend a water cooling one here since he's going all out on his PC.

Hell, even my V8 kept my Q9550 at 43C max under load at stock speeds. You're most likely even better off with a cheaper one if you're not OCing.

Still, I only recommend a water cooling one here since he's going all out on his PC.
    Plus they look cooler. lolgetit they're cooler.

If he is going all out then recommended him a better liquid cooling solution the cheap all in one kinds are not that great.

If those coolers can keep an i7 < 40c under stress then it doesn't matter if the air cooler is better. A CPU isn't going to perform any better at 30c than it will at 35-40c, so it's all just a matter of preference.

The one thing I don't like about that air cooler is how big and heavy it is. I've seen coolers like that cause damage to a motherboard over time, not to mention issues you may or may not have with space. On several motherboards the RAM slots are very close to the CPU and having gaming RAM with large heatsinks, you'll definitely have a problem on some motherboards. With a water cooler you aren't putting stress on the motherboard and you can move the pump to accommodate any space issues.

Either way, it's just a matter of who prefers what. They both keep the CPU just as cool either way.

The large coolers have retention plates that are screwed onto the back of a motherboard to prevent issues.
    The only people who damage their motherboard are those who don't know what they are doing and most likely forgot to screw on the back retention plate.

RAM with tall heatsinks are pointless too.
    RAM does not get that hot and overclocking RAM does not bring any noticeable performance.
    A regular short heatsink is fine.

If you want to spend money on a liquid cooling system then you should be spending a couple of hundred instead of the cheap all in one solutions which perform worse than the top air coolers and are yet more expensive.

If space really is an issue and you don't want to spend a lot of money then I guess it's ok but make sure to carefully pick out fans if noise is an issue.

Plus they look cooler. lolgetit they're cooler.
    Those cheap all in one versions are not cooler.
    Last edited by RyviusRan; 09-01-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Those cheap all in one versions are not cooler.
    Guess the joke kinda just went right past you..

Guess the joke kinda just went right past you..
    It's a bad joke if it doesn't hold true.

It's a bad joke if it doesn't hold true.
    It's not a joke if it holds true.. it's just a statement. You are wayy to serious dude. I'm just trying to be nice despite us disagreeing, I really like your input and it helps the OP out a lot to have different inputs, but you srsly seem like you're just trying really hard to dislike me.

So this is what I got right now

How can I make it better? I'm going to order it on the 7th

I'm missing a SSD, do I need one? If so can you recommend me one please

Also any material I need to buy to put it together? Or will it come with everything I need?

Also can someone recommend a gaming mouse and keyboard?
    Last edited by LaxFogo; 09-03-2012 at 09:45 PM.

This won't add gaming performance but you could get 2 screens.

I've looked it up and the H100 can fit in your case but only in a push configuration, not in a push-pull configuration.

If you don't mind having a headset for VoIP, I suggest a Logitech G930 or G35, depending on if you want a wired one or not, the wireless one lasts 9 hours. They're 7.1 and have a crystal clear microphone.

This won't add gaming performance but you could get 2 screens.

I've looked it up and the H100 can fit in your case but only in a push configuration, not in a push-pull configuration.

If you don't mind having a headset for VoIP, I suggest a Logitech G930 or G35, depending on if you want a wired one or not, the wireless one lasts 9 hours. They're 7.1 and have a crystal clear microphone.
    Whats the difference between a push and a push-pull config? Should I get another cooler than?

Which cooler will work for a push-pull then?

I'm missing a SSD, do I need one? If so can you recommend me one please

Also any material I need to buy to put it together? Or will it come with everything I need?

Also can someone recommend a gaming mouse and keyboard?
    Last edited by LaxFogo; 09-03-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Smaller watercooled ones because they don't take a 1 by 2 fan slots. :/
    So you're stuck with a corsair H80 if you want watercooling.

As for aircooling, plenty of choices there. Noctua NH-D14, Cooler Master V6 GT etc.
    Since you're going all out already, you might as well take the NH-D14 (it's 10USD cheaper than the H100). Just secure it well and you're set. You probably would need to install the fan before putting the motherboard in the case though.

As for supplies, you don't really need extra supplies as everything you will need you already get with that particular item.
    It might be of interest to get a long screwdriver, about 7.87 inches or longer (to tighten the upper left screw on your motherboard) and some L-shaped SATA cables since your HDD-cage is in the width of your case and not in the length.

edit: I'm not really pro-SSD yet. They require some minor tweaks before they're used such as moving all data to the 2nd normal HDD etc. It's up to you if you really want your OS to boot in 20 seconds or not, otherwise you won't really have much use for it.