Important question on Game Engines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 10

Exclamation Important question on Game Engines

Just a quick important question I need to know right now. Do you need to program if your go to use a Game Engine like Irchilite and Crystal Space? Like C++ or is it like a thing where you make the game in the program and compile it in a launguage? How do they work, do you need to program,ect?
    Here are the ones im interested in...
    Crystal Space- http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwi...w_articles.php
    Irchilite- Most people know the link I dont have time to post...

Crumbly, yet Good Reputation: 75

Quick Answer - Yes.

Infact, that's the only answer. I think.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

So to use Crystal Space I have to program with c++ or with irchilite i have to do same thing? And if yes-Is it harder then programming a normal game just in C++ or easier;simpiler?

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

Irrlicht is a 3D Engine with some extra functions (Collision, etc...). You still have to build your application. You can also modify Irrlicht to your satisfaction due to its license. With Irrlicht you can build Games, 3D Art Tools, and almost anything you wish. It is also a great source to learn DirectX and OpenGL, due to the authors clean coding and excellent documentation based on source.

Crystal Space 3D is a Game Engine SDK. It was built only for games. I don't know much about it.

A 3D Engine and a Game Engine are different things. A 3D Engine is more wide open to all types of 3D/2D Applications (Irrlicht also supports 2D) but requires more coding. A Game Engine was made only for games and requires less coding since it is assumed that you are building a game.
    Last edited by AlexS; 09-10-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Banned Reputation: 14

Im working on a game using Irrlicht right now and trust me it's not that hard, I didnt know C++ yesterday, today im coding in it like a madman.

Good way to learn in my opinion.

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by TLM View Post
    Im working on a game using Irrlicht right now and trust me it's not that hard, I didnt know C++ yesterday, today im coding in it like a madman.

Good way to learn in my opinion.
    A 3D Engine is easy. Imagen a Game Engine.

Irrlicht is an excellent source to extend your C++ (shows you a hierarchy system, where everything comes from a parent) and your DirectX/OpenGL, as I mentioned above.

Dantes Inferno Reputation: 10

Which engine do you think is the best?

So I don't understand, how would you use it with C++? And where can you learn C++ with Irchilite?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cj Shadows View Post
    So I don't understand, how would you use it with C++? And where can you learn C++ with Irchilite?
    You don't 'use it with' C++. An engine is written in a language. If you want to alter the root engine to make a game out of it, you need to basically 'add new pages' in that language, then recompile the whole thing.

Here's an comparison about using a gaming engine: imagine you want to build a house. Now, if you want to, you *could* start with a design, and build the house from scratch. Might take a while, but if you know enough about house building and keep working, eventually you'll have the house (game) done.

Now, using a game engine is more like starting with the frame of a house already built, and the foundation laid. Obviously, having some of this stuff done for you should save you some time. Part of the job is already done.

The problem with game engines come when the framework they have prebuilt for you doesn't quite mesh with your design. Then you might find yourself digging up more ground to add a bit of extra foundation, or tearing out some support struts where you didn't want a room, before you can get to the job of completing the house.

So while a game engine will generally give you a good jumpstart, that jump will rarely mesh perfectly with your design for your game. So in most cases you'll have to alter the engine, recode it, to make it work for your game. Then of course you need to 'finish the house', or add all those details specfic to your game.

Not a perfect analogy, but it might help.

42 Reputation: 10

while on the topic of game engines (i dont want to start a new topic)

Is there a java game engine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast