you guys think mice feel emotions?

Hybrid View

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Default you guys think mice feel emotions?

Today I was doing a job for my dad ripping down some sheetrock. There was a mouse family in part of it. The babies were scrambling to their mother riding on her back as she fled. One of the dogs killed 2 of the babies.

My dad and my friend just laughed, I kinda laughed too. I know they won't think twice about it, but it makes me sad. I've always had a big heart for animals (often too big) and now I'm sad.

Besides fear, do you guys think mice have the capacity to feel and mourn the loss of a sibling or child? I know people set traps and exterminate mice, but to me they aren't really pests that much. :?

I dunno. All I know is I feel sad

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 605

There are animals (mammals at least) that get depressed whenever one of their family dies. So yea, I guess mice feel emotions beyond fear.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Haha I know its my hippie heart and I'm being dumb but I genuinely felt bad for a while. It's probably because dinsey has personified all animals to me when I was young :P

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 31

Say one of your dogs is female. And let's say she end up having babies.

Then your dad kills one of the babies.

I'm fairly certain your dog would not be too happy about that.

In parallel, I can't imagine why you would think mice would enjoy having their children killed. Indifference is one thing, but laughing about it is just screwed up.
    No substitute for the king.
    Hilarious. I lost.

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Haha I know its my hippie heart and I'm being dumb but I genuinely felt bad for a while. It's probably because dinsey has personified all animals to me when I was young :P
    I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of being upset over a baby mice dying. I feed the squirrels around my house (put out a box of peanuts) and they have become very friendly, to the point they take from your hand and we've even named some of them, and it's always upsetting to see one die by whatever means.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

*takes his hand off the mouse for a sec and stares at it*

...nah
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Ride em’ Yoshi Reputation: 26

Sorry to disapoint you but mice don't fell mourn in theyr spicies it's survival of the fitest and if it's nesesery the mother would eat her children to survive thats why they give birth to many babyes so at least some will survive they do however fell emotions other tham fear and self preservation instincts when it comes down to it they can't remember anyting from 2 days ago so don't kill yourself becouse you laughed after all your laughter was your self preservation instinct(you wanted to be a part of the group)and your dog killed the mouse becouse of its instincts(mice carry desisses and can often poson the food from wich they eat Dogs can smell that and the eating of the mouse is sort of like theyre vacsine agaitst those desisses)
    So yeah it's a mest up world and I think you'll probablly morn those babys more than the mother coz of your in-build moral system(and the fact that you can't forget everyting in 2 days)I don't think it's a bad thing but don't be too hard on yourself

And just so you know I don't care how angrry some of you are with this post coz Iám not visiting this tread again
    I try to be good,but then I get bored!
    You have been warned.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Yes, it's probably similar to the emotion people feel when their children are killed. Of course, you don't have to think that way or you'd feel bad about eating cows and pigs and chickens. But yes, animals have feelings. Are mice self-aware..? Not sure. I think the way people define sentience is as this: If it's a life that benefits me by being treated like a person then it's sentient; if it benefits me to inflict suffering on it then it's not a person and therefore not sentient.

The way I define sentience is: If it has a brain then it might be sentient, and if it can recognize itself in a mirror then it's at least as sentient as me, and if it has the same League of Legends rating then it's at least as intelligent as me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1e0x0BDM6o

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    *takes his hand off the mouse for a sec and stares at it*

...nah
    Aha!
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.