35 Years of console launch prices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Default 35 Years of console launch prices

Adjusted for inflation

Super Moderator Reputation: 189

So the point of this is what? New consoles are expensive, it doesn't matter if something that came because it was more expensive or not.

Just because I have something worth $700 and something worth $1,400 doesn't mean the thing worth $700 isn't expensive.

Aman Reputation: 193

That's true.

And keep in mind, everything to do with electronics has only gotten cheaper in time. What's more accurate is that the perceived value of a console nowadays is relatively lower than it was in the past. Could be rose-tinted glasses, could be that the majority of console releases just don't warrant a commitment to a particular console etc.

If you rescue me, I'll be your friend forever. -- Loric
    Last.fm
    Hey Raiyne

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

So if they cost one dollar each, but the price where rising for the last few years, they would be?

Socrates is a duck kinda logic.

Also:
    Wouldn't buy into that graphic, without a source, that at least tries to defend it's point. Could be done by anyone and by anyone I mean "person who doesn't know how to calculate the inflation adjusted prices correctly."
    Buying power isn't a constant. For that reason, that inflation adjustment only serves one purpose: Compare two different goods; Buying power simply falls out of the picture.
    What it does not enable one to do: Compare the price of a good to itself over the years and make assumptions about how cheap/expensive the good is.
    Last edited by Ronin; 09-14-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Stay frosty.

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

There should probably be a source for the graphic.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 134

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...st_history.php

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Well, so it compares it to the standard commodity goods bucket.
    The problem is that the meaning of this measurement is degrading, since we actually spend less and less on stuff that goes into it.

Since we know that the ratio of the money we spend on food is falling and this shows a further decrease in comparison to food, I would say that the assumption of a nationwide fall of the prices of the devices compared to total buying power went down and they are more easily affordable,
    I also think that the theory of this effect being a result of falling chip prices in general very plausible.

Ergo:
    Statistics are actually depict a development that is even more drastic if you actually think about affordability, even though it lacks some depth. I would assume that the number of units sold per household would be a better estimate, though it wouldn't be as intuitive and "blog-able".

It would be more interesting for the consumer anyways, to compare, which consoles are falling in price quickest, to see who is actually driving the market and also ofc this drags in the old debate of "which is better" on technical terms.
    Last edited by Ronin; 09-14-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Stay frosty.

General Manager Reputation: 353

Harsh crowd. Pretty sure the meme was meant to be humorous, not literally challenge you to prove him wrong.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Innovation is now having games play themselves? I don't want to live on this planet anymore. - Blackomen

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Basically what I see from this graph is that the WiiU gets Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive, then massive amounts of people start complaining about it being overpriced.

Sub text.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast