Something like SAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 15

Default Something like SAO

Propobly many of you know the anime named Sword art online.

So there are few condictions for what im looking for. i wont make it difficult for you so il say it in few words.

Closest thing possible to anime Sword art online.

Not and MMO but a simple single player game.

Ah and if someone gonna ask why im asking for single player game in mmo section. the answer is. Becouse theres not a request section for what im requesting.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

.hack// game series?

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 23

As above stated, this is about as close as you will ever get xD

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 185

SAO fits a lot of niche genres.
    Videogames are designed differently from anime episodes.
    Watching something is different from immersing yourself in a game.

Wait 4-5 years for a SAO MMO. (EDIT: Or be more specific.)
    Last edited by Phenoca; 10-05-2012 at 10:15 PM.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 88

SAO fits a lot of niche genres.
    SAO in terms of MMO G s pretty generic.. but I must say I love the anime series

<3 http://www.onrpg.com/boards/showthre...11185-End-Game

DrHime |MsNakita
    SD Gundam - League of Legends - Grand Chase

Wand of !!!!!!11!!! Power Reputation: 50

The game that had probably the best "SAO feel" was Ragnarok Online back in the beta.
    *~'` To marry a korean girl you must first beat his father in Starcraft `'~*

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

I'd suggest Mabinogi. Just to name off a few things, it has an anime feel, with very realistic environments, tons of armor, weapons, pets, and even mounts. There's a pet shop, along with crafting, blacksmithing, tailoring, fishing, and even more. Give the website a look. I think you'll like the game. It's as close to SAO as you'll possibly get for now.

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/

As for a singleplayer game.. well, what about Dragon's Dogma or something? Dark Souls?
    Last edited by TheNoob101; 10-14-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 15

To me, SAO is appealing to MMO players because people in the anime actually played the game like MMOs should be played and used to be played. The people actually worked together and some plotted against each other.

You had:
    Player Merchants
    Player/Guild Ran Towns
    Players doing various jobs instead of fighting like mining and weapon making, being a chef etc. 99.9% of MMOs require everyone to be some kind of fighter or battle healer.
    Player Housing that wasn't instanced and was in every town and served a purpose (players needed to rest)
    Players had to team up for most monsters and definitely for bosses (most MMOs today are cookie cutter single player games)

In the anime there weren't too many negative aspects that plague MMOs today. People running multiple alts to do crafting jobs, bots, cash shops, players ignoring each other just to solo content (with the exception of the main character i guess, lol).

It all boils down to community. Games now days don't reward you for working together. They reward you for playing alone and never teaming up. MMOs aren't designed for fun, they're designed to keep you playing and spending money by giving a sense of progression. How many times have you spent days trying to get something in an MMO not having fun and then you finally get that reward only to enjoy it for a little while and then repeat the process of doing chores just to get to the next step. MMOs are only truely fun when you're doing stuff with a group of friends and just chatting and hanging out while fighting monsters or even just talking to strangers in a town.

The closest thing to SAO I can think of would be Final Fantasy 11, Ultima Online, Runescape, and maybe fallen earth. Most of these game except for FF11 have conformed to the garbage solo/casual play style that WoW made popular. Sure you can raid or do boss fights, but 99% of the content is just single player content.
    Playing:
    Second Life - Skyrim - Waiting for a decent MMO

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 26

Ragnarok and Mabinogi have the best SAO feel but it fits too many genres. My 2-bit list would be 10 pages long if I attempted it.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Most of these game except for FF11 have conformed to the garbage solo/casual play style that WoW made popular.
    FFXI's abyssia expansion pretty much made this statement false.

Anyway I'd say go for guild wars 2 atm, newest thing out, B2P, and there is nothing else out atm lol. Maybe wait for FFXIV a realm reborn? you had to party in FFXIV a lot before if u wanted to level fast, hopefully they keep that feeling with the new version, + u can play a pure crafter or gatherer in FFXIV so yea :x
    How to make an onrpg sig in 5 easy steps
    1. Insert pic of random anime character/girl(scantly clad = extra points)
    2. Post the specs of your computer even though no one really cares
    3. Put a random quote from some dead poet or something that makes you seem smart
    4. Quote a post that makes you feel cool
    5. And lastly write in bold red letters about how win you are

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast