Music in MMO's

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Music in MMO's

Music does help with setting the tone and mood of a game world - Do you think music makes a game? Or do you find game music annoying and just turn it off.

I find that some soundtracks within games are ok, however some games have extremely annoying soundtracks

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 292

There's good and bad music in MMOs just like there's good and bad music in everything else. Good musical selection is often a major reason why people enjoy games, if not makes them at the very least memorable. To me, it's the best kind immersion, and what links the proper emotions and mood to the visuals.

That was one of the best things about Ragnarok. It's what set the forests and caves apart from each other, made Comodo seem like a lively island vacation and what turned that big crater that used to be Morroc into a desolate desert town.

Basically, music makes shit feel adventurous. At least it does to me.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 12

Granado Espada does have epic soundtrack. At times, i'll just sit back enjoy the music and the auto attack system.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 292

Quote Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
    Granado Espada does have epic soundtrack. At times, i'll just sit back enjoy the music and the auto attack system.
    I've never actually played Granado Espada, but I still listen to that game's OST from time to time (A lot of folk here used to talk about about how good the soundtrack was so I got it a few years back). I really like the tracks by S.F.A. but I didn't know for the longest that the guy that wrote those also did some of LaTale's and Talesweaver's music as well.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 50

Music is REALLY important actually.
    Music is what made L2 such a great MMO and memory to me for example.
    I still remember the days sitting in Dion, listening to the music and trying to sell soulshots on dwarves...

Or RF Online has some really top-notch music too. And I played that one for a few years too.
    So far all the MMO's I played for a longer period of time (only L2 and RFO) both had top-notch music, and really memorable one.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 167

I always turn off the music in a game. I find it counterproductive when you are in a fray and you hear soothing "nappy time" music.

I go and turn Pandora on and let it do the trick for me.

I really like the games that allow you to play your own (Spaecowboy).

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 10

Ya music in mmos do play key...for example i like atlantica and PWI along with Sword2...it really helps bring the mood and when u think back on it the music, atmosphere and etc makes you emotionally attached to that particular moment when you were playing it.

When music is bad in an mmorpg i usually play music i think is fitting to the area...like some final fantasy type stuff or other mmorpg music. Only time i really listen to mainstream type stuff in an mmorpg is when im grinding or doing something really repetitive..

In an MMO, I like the idea of outgearing other players, and stomping the [filtered] out of them
    avo420x

A Shrubbery Reputation: 25

Music has always been a large part of my life, especially classical, opera, and jazz. MMORPGs, on the majority, have a classical-themed score. This suits me very well, indeed.

Good examples:
    RF Online - Amazing musical score. The Cora base theme is probably in my top 5 most favorite songs I've heard in MMORPGs.

SUN Online - Outstanding. Made by the same composer who produced the LOTR score for the movies, Howard Shore.

2Moons/Dekaron - Surprisingly, I enjoy this music. Some of the short, 30-40 second scores are amazingly good.

Granado Espada - Great baroque style, it went perfectly with the setting of the game.

Atlantica Online - Not the best score, but the fact that the music changes so many times depending on where you are in the world, you never get tired of hearing the music.

Aion - Fantastic, full-symphonic score. Few games surpass this quality of music.

Silkroad Online - Wide variety of music from oriental to European scores depending on where you are.

Bad examples:
    FLYFF - This has one or two nice pieces, but the majority of it is horrible. It's a constant barrage of cute, techno junk that assaults your ears from the moment you login.

Kal Online - By far the worst music in any MMORPG, ever. It's a constant -- I repeat, CONSTANT -- taiko drum track that repeats itself over and over and over regardless of where you are, be it a town, a dungeon, an open field, or a boss battle. The only difference in music is the login screen which is decent and the original castle war theme.

Tantra Online - This game actually has nice music, but every piece in the game is basically a rendition of the same song. It rapidly turns a nice song into one that just makes you want to turn of the sound.

Those 1001 random Korean grinders - Too many to count, but they all have that very generic, quasi-pop-classical score that just does nothing for the game. Most have one or two redeeming tracks, but the rest is garbage.

Champions Online - The musical score is as bland and repetitious as the game's many instance dungeons.
    Hooray for gaymers!
    Why is it that, as a society, are we more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?

Main games I've played: KalOnline, Requiem, Silkroad, FLYFF, Rohan, Rappelz, SUN, LoL, Guild Wars, RF Online, Rift, and DDO
    Currently playing: Waiting for something interesting

McFox Sandwich Reputation: 15

Ragnarok online OST, precious memories of my childhood came with the music.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 128
    Sega Enterprises Infractions: 2many2count

PSO2's music. Awesome.
    sunic hudgehug

pso2 is da game

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast