Smite [Discussion] God-themed MOBA

Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Smite [Discussion] God-themed MOBA

I believe we had, at one time, a thread for Smite discussion. However, I have no idea where it's gone to.

Smite is a free-to-play MOBA-type game with a theme of ancient mythology and gods from all around the world. Besides the neat theme, Smite is also a third-person MOBA, as opposed to over-the-top like most MOBA's are. Some people will argue that this means it takes more 'skill' than other MOBA's, I think it just makes it more fun for those of us that prefer WASD movement.

(Please keep in mind that the game has received extensive updates to graphics and user interface since this video was posted)

As of now, Smite is in open beta. This means anyone can make an account and download the game to play. There is also a $100,000 tournament in the works, I think.

If you would like to add your name to the IGN list, just post here and I will add them as I see them. Feel free to PM me if you feel I am taking to long to add your name.

Updates:
    1/30/2013 - Vulcan "The Smith of the Gods" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.
    2/13/2013 - Neith "Weaver of Faith" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.
    3/13/2013 - Aphrodite "The Goddess of Beauty" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.
    3/28/2013 - Apollo "God of Music" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.

IGN:

ApocaRUFF - Psychopath
    Stranger - Infuriated
    Jerov - Jerrid
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 03-28-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52

Downloading right now, Please tell me we get to buy a *GOD*right away.

Want dat freya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote
    IPandawa was a minor god who came to power and joined the ranks of the twelve when she discovered a recipe for the perfect bamboo wine/milk.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

Quote Originally Posted by Heartyace View Post
    Downloading right now, Please tell me we get to buy a *GOD*right away.

Want dat freya.
    You can buy gods right away. Most gods cost 5,500 of the in-game currency, or 200 Gems. Or you can pay $20 or something like that to get all 30 of the pre-release gods.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Heartyace = My Ign I'm online right now~

I'ma guess it works the same way as LoL

and start a game
    IPandawa was a minor god who came to power and joined the ranks of the twelve when she discovered a recipe for the perfect bamboo wine/milk.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 220

There was a thread about the game but it died out because people stopped playing. Honestly, I think it had an interesting concept but the execution of the game overall is just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermatoo View Post
    There was a thread about the game but it died out because people stopped playing. Honestly, I think it had an interesting concept but the execution of the game overall is just awful.
    You get points for pointing that out, the tutorial felt pretty bad.

I'ma play Artemis and see how it is, then think about my next course of action for this game.

It's pretty fun. I guess it's a bit of a niche thing. That is, not everyone will be able to relate to the way the game is played. To me, it's smooth and fast paced, the combat is fun.

As a new player, you shouldn't have to much of an issue doing good if you've played other MOBA's, as level 1-5 has a separate queue than higher levels. Artemis is a great god, used to be my favorite when I first started playing. If built right, her ult + her speed bow (can't remember the name of it) will be able to kill anything that isn't a tank, and even things that are a tank. It's also good for taking down towers.

If you don't like Artemis, I suggest Ra. It's a great god to play as a new player. It's somewhere between support and glass cannon. Support, because he has an area heal that is placed on the ground, that also damages enemies (makes it good for farming mobs). His sun beam is also great for taking out mobs, and doing a decent amount of damage to players. His ult does a massive amount of damage, especially during early and mid game.
    -Cingal

Getting kinda annoyed with the way that they do matchmaking. If I join the queue, there is no garuntee that I will get in to a game, and will have to wait another 3 minutes. And if someone leaves the match lobby, I then have to wait another 3 minutes still. I've spent the past 12 minutes trying to get in to a Conquest game :/ People keep leaving the lobby and then I have to wait another 3 minutes.

Why did they switch it from the old system?
    -Cingal

Been playing a lot of Ao Kuang with a tanky build and I'm loving it. I have yet to do bad in a game (not saying I haven't lost one, I've lost plenty) with him using this build.
    -Cingal

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

I do not know why this game is more popular than Tribes: Ascend and Wrath of Heroes. Do people like WASD this much?

It's a nice game... But I didn't notice any gameplay improvements over other MOBAs. Ao Kuang has gratifying skillshots. Is Artemis still overpowered?
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast