Smite [Discussion] God-themed MOBA

Page 48 of 82 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 85

I wouldn't know about turning a game around by talking, I don't even bother to communicate outside of VGS in a bad game since bm is typically flying already. The only other ways I've carried/turned Arena games around is getting fed/farmed or keeping better tabs on the minions then the enemy. If you aren't pushing the waves you aren't winning, I've witnessed so many games lost when the team that won had inferior K/D ratio because of lost waves. (Keep in mind a minion killing a minion does not result in a ticket but being blasted by a God will, meaning every wave is equal to a single God kill, minions vs minions results in no tickets and your own wave through a portal becomes a kills worth + depriving the enemy of a kills worth.)

I agree with you about being agressive - this is definitely key. I firmly think minions should be kept in check but it doesn't need to be done by all 5, past the first few minutes of the game 2 people should be more than enough and the rest should be actively zoning/harassing until an opening arises. Also, being defensive can work, there's just a difference between defensive and passive and too many people are passive thinking they're putting up any sort of defense. Being greedy is also a no no, you have to be smart about being aggressive.

Thankfully, it isn't actually that hard to be really aggressive and push the waves simultaneously. It's just, people tend to get pulled into 'Jungle' fights and if you don't have the wave advantage or at least in a stalemate you are gambling countless tickets, even if you break even in the team fight the advantage goes to the pushed wave.

I think defensive play is at its optimal if you have a crappy comp with no tank but a lot of damage(cc helps), they can clear camps and waves insanely fast early, thus they can get a foothold the enemy can't ignore and enough damage to mow down the tank early and proceed to snowball by rapid farm and countering initiations.

This is all opinion though, I just like talking about Arena strategies, since they are there just not as big or grand as Conquests. :P
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 23

The most frustrating arena matches I've played are ones where your entire team doesn't go forward at all towards mid and sits back by the portal waiting for minions to come. It happens so often! They are too scared to engage, nobody does anything and one by one people get CCed and ganked by the enemy who have control over mid. I have never seen this strategy work where everyone stands by the base, yet so many bad teams do it. I don't understand their reasoning: "Let's all do nothing and we will win."

Focusing on minions is not the correct thing to so. If you see one person in the enemy team slightly away from the rest of the his team do you continue to focus down minions? No, you focus that guy. Similarly is you see a teammate CC an enemy do you focus down minions? If you see one or two people on the enemy team has backed due to OOM or low HP do you continue to pressure minions? If you see a teammate trying to contest a jungle camp and you see the enemy going that way do you continue to focus down minions? If you see a teammate get CCed do you continue to kill minions? No no no!

Minions is always a tertiary objective. Your primary concern should be how much damage you are doing to the enemy team. When to kill minions should be very organic and intuitive. If you have an Ao Kuang who does nothing but sits and kills minions and has little to no participation in fights you are going to lose. 1) The Ao Kuang is taking all the farm, 2) All that farm is being entirely wasted because he is basically worthless to the team. You should not designate people to kill minions, it's done in an opportunistic fashion, by everyone.

The best teams I've been in are ones where the entire team plays really aggressively and forces the enemy team to play by their base. Most importantly, good teams peel. I cannot overstate the value of peeling in this game. If the enemy player is posturing to attack a teammate or is attacking a teammate your counter pressure or CC are incredibly important. You are basically getting free damage while they are focusing your teammate.

Another thing, as far as I'm concerned beads is almost mandary in Arena, regardless of enemy comp. Many many gods have CCs that will mean a death sentence without beads, Athena, Mercury, Ne Zha, Chronos, Fenrir, Anubis and ofcourse Ymir and Ares just to name a few. The only exception might be if you have a character that has high access to CC immunity skills like Xbalanque and Chang'e.
    Last edited by Geffreyy; 12-26-2013 at 07:41 AM.

I agree, but I still think minions are a greater priority than anything, they net you many times more than killing a God in a fraction of the time. I also don't like passive teams either, it doesn't take long to take down a wave and obviously you should balance your priorities with team fights. I'm just saying you can't ignore your waves and just hope it works out. I don't think anyone should be standing by the portal as well, pushing waves and being aggressive are #1 priorities. All of these things can be accomplished at the same time, Jungle fights should be kept short, unless the enemy is neglecting their waves.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 23

What do you guys think about the new spectator camera with auto zoom. I liked the old camera in tournaments but I'm getting used to the new one.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 18

I've just started trying this out casually, honestly I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm still using auto buy and auto skill up. I pretty much only play Nu Wa, have been doing pretty well with her, but I dun understand alot of things yet (especially jungle, some heroes and roles). Doesn't help I'm playing from half the world away so my ping isn't the greatest...

What is Nu Wa's main role? Pushing? I like her cos she can push lanes really hard. I've usually done very well with her. Is she strong at the moment?

I think it's pretty fun, but I don't think I'll play this game seriously though. Seems like almost every game someone DC's or AFKs in my team...

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Don't be discouraged by that dude ! It's only on lower levels mostly BUT the thing is they don't punish people for nothing in this game unlike LoL where they punish you even if you didn't do anything wrong ;D

@Senna

Get used to playing and work your way into building your own items, you can customize your own autobuy thingy from the guides menu (I think, it's there somewhere lol) and also use to it look over the shop, the popular tab should give you a good idea for what to get and always try to check out what other Nu Wa's are building in your game (noting if they're flopping or winning helps lol). You will definitely want to drift away from the automatic function eventually though, even after customizing it since you will inevitably want to have more control over the abilities/consumables you're getting.

Leveling skills is actually pretty simplistic, typically there's a dominant skill in your kit that will get leveled above the others, then a 2nd, then a utility/escape skill that gets left at 1 for most of the game and your ultimate whenever possible. I think most Nu Wa's put a bit of priority on her mist, that's pretty much all I know, I've only played her once and people are bound to build her different in Arena (my main mode).
    Last edited by Stranger; 12-31-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    @Senna

Get used to playing and work your way into building your own items, you can customize your own autobuy thingy from the guides menu (I think, it's there somewhere lol) and also use to it look over the shop, the popular tab should give you a good idea for what to get and always try to check out what other Nu Wa's are building in your game (noting if they're flopping or winning helps lol). You will definitely want to drift away from the automatic function eventually though, even after customizing it since you will inevitably want to have more control over the abilities/consumables you're getting.

Leveling skills is actually pretty simplistic, typically there's a dominant skill in your kit that will get leveled above the others, then a 2nd, then a utility/escape skill that gets left at 1 for most of the game and your ultimate whenever possible. I think most Nu Wa's put a bit of priority on her mist, that's pretty much all I know, I've only played her once and people are bound to build her different in Arena (my main mode).
    I haven't seen any other Nu Wa's actually. Seems like nobody plays her... then again I've only a few games played...

Idk, auto level skills does flamestrike, clay soldiers, then mist. Why would people level mist first? It doesn't give any good combat ability. It doesn't even seem to fool good players (a Cupid could reliably chase mi and hit mi when I'm in mist).

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 16

nu wa is just not a verry good character - what she offers other people can do a lot better - maybe she'll get a rework or a buff sometime in the future?

she just got a minor buff thut with max cdr you can spam your mist skill now - if you are playing solo i'd level up her flamestrike then her mist and max clay soldiers last.

i'm assuming you are playing her in conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by Senna View Post
    I haven't seen any other Nu Wa's actually. Seems like nobody plays her... then again I've only a few games played...
    That's more or less a result of being in the lower levels, I'm thinking.
    Idk, auto level skills does flamestrike, clay soldiers, then mist. Why would people level mist first? It doesn't give any good combat ability. It doesn't even seem to fool good players (a Cupid could reliably chase mi and hit mi when I'm in mist).
    I believe it was because of how mist is a DoT, which used in conjunction with the item Gem of Isolation makes it quite effective because Gem slows those hit by your damaging spells. Also, whether it fools them or not really comes down to how well you normally dodge hits. That and it's meaningful for concealing teammates/soldiers/minions as the surprise, not a personal cloak, since I'm pretty sure anyone who sees the mist will assume Nu Wa is in it lol.

I do see Nu Wa pretty often, but I'm level 30 and queue primarily Arena.

EDIT:

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Drybear is pretty decent to learn from, he's got a few Nu Wa videos, too. Just fair warning, they are a few weeks old and I'm sure there have been tweaks. Still mostly applicable.
    Last edited by Stranger; 12-31-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

Page 48 of 82 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast