Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Smite [Discussion] God-themed MOBA

Game Journalist Reputation: 484

Default Smite [Discussion] God-themed MOBA

I believe we had, at one time, a thread for Smite discussion. However, I have no idea where it's gone to.

Smite is a free-to-play MOBA-type game with a theme of ancient mythology and gods from all around the world. Besides the neat theme, Smite is also a third-person MOBA, as opposed to over-the-top like most MOBA's are. Some people will argue that this means it takes more 'skill' than other MOBA's, I think it just makes it more fun for those of us that prefer WASD movement.

(Please keep in mind that the game has received extensive updates to graphics and user interface since this video was posted)

As of now, Smite is in open beta. This means anyone can make an account and download the game to play. There is also a $100,000 tournament in the works, I think.

If you would like to add your name to the IGN list, just post here and I will add them as I see them. Feel free to PM me if you feel I am taking to long to add your name.

Updates:
    1/30/2013 - Vulcan "The Smith of the Gods" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.
    2/13/2013 - Neith "Weaver of Faith" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.
    3/13/2013 - Aphrodite "The Goddess of Beauty" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.
    3/28/2013 - Apollo "God of Music" has been added to the game. Read the full patch notes here.

IGN:

ApocaRUFF - Psychopath
    Stranger - Infuriated
    Jerov - Jerrid
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 03-28-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or *******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52

Downloading right now, Please tell me we get to buy a *GOD*right away.

Want dat freya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your average commentor
    If she has anime flu, she will die.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

Quote Originally Posted by Heartyace View Post
    Downloading right now, Please tell me we get to buy a *GOD*right away.

Want dat freya.
    You can buy gods right away. Most gods cost 5,500 of the in-game currency, or 200 Gems. Or you can pay $20 or something like that to get all 30 of the pre-release gods.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or *******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Heartyace = My Ign I'm online right now~

I'ma guess it works the same way as LoL

and start a game

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235

There was a thread about the game but it died out because people stopped playing. Honestly, I think it had an interesting concept but the execution of the game overall is just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermatoo View Post
    There was a thread about the game but it died out because people stopped playing. Honestly, I think it had an interesting concept but the execution of the game overall is just awful.
    You get points for pointing that out, the tutorial felt pretty bad.

I'ma play Artemis and see how it is, then think about my next course of action for this game.

It's pretty fun. I guess it's a bit of a niche thing. That is, not everyone will be able to relate to the way the game is played. To me, it's smooth and fast paced, the combat is fun.

As a new player, you shouldn't have to much of an issue doing good if you've played other MOBA's, as level 1-5 has a separate queue than higher levels. Artemis is a great god, used to be my favorite when I first started playing. If built right, her ult + her speed bow (can't remember the name of it) will be able to kill anything that isn't a tank, and even things that are a tank. It's also good for taking down towers.

If you don't like Artemis, I suggest Ra. It's a great god to play as a new player. It's somewhere between support and glass cannon. Support, because he has an area heal that is placed on the ground, that also damages enemies (makes it good for farming mobs). His sun beam is also great for taking out mobs, and doing a decent amount of damage to players. His ult does a massive amount of damage, especially during early and mid game.
    -Cingal

Getting kinda annoyed with the way that they do matchmaking. If I join the queue, there is no garuntee that I will get in to a game, and will have to wait another 3 minutes. And if someone leaves the match lobby, I then have to wait another 3 minutes still. I've spent the past 12 minutes trying to get in to a Conquest game :/ People keep leaving the lobby and then I have to wait another 3 minutes.

Why did they switch it from the old system?
    -Cingal

Been playing a lot of Ao Kuang with a tanky build and I'm loving it. I have yet to do bad in a game (not saying I haven't lost one, I've lost plenty) with him using this build.
    -Cingal

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

I do not know why this game is more popular than Tribes: Ascend and Wrath of Heroes. Do people like WASD this much?

It's a nice game... But I didn't notice any gameplay improvements over other MOBAs. Ao Kuang has gratifying skillshots. Is Artemis still overpowered?

Codename: Duchess Reputation: 195

I play a mean AO Kuang.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    I do not know why this game is more popular than Tribes: Ascend and Wrath of Heroes. Do people like WASD this much?

It's a nice game... But I didn't notice any gameplay improvements over other MOBAs. Ao Kuang has gratifying skillshots. Is Artemis still overpowered?
    Tribes is an awesome game. I would have thought that it would have more of a following. As for the other... I don't think I've heard of it. At least, it doesn't ring any bells right away. Link?

As for Artemis, she can be very good if played correctly, but I wouldn't say over powered.

The only build that I've come across (but I don't play much) that I would say is overpowered is Crit Chance Loki. It's kinda BS how I can build full tanky build and yet he can destroy 90% of my health in two seconds.

Edit: Was right in the middle of a decent game and then I got kicked off the game. I log back in and it told me I was a deserter, rather than letting me back in like it normally does. I was about to get pissed off, but then I got kicked off a second time and I was able to rejoin the queue and a few seconds later an announcement was made that the servers were going down in 10 minutes.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 02-01-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    -Cingal

For new players I'd suggest the follow Gods(in no paticular order):
    - Ra
    - Ymir
    - Arachne
    - Kali
    - Artemis
    - Ao Kuang

I personally would stay away as Kali and Arachne as a new player. Ra is great cause he is good for laning with a jungler, or playing mid. Or just laning with anyone, due to his ability to take out minions and healing himself/friendlies. Plus his ulti is very nice.

Ymir is a tank, he's good at keeping himself and his team alive (if played right) and is capable of stunning + slowing enemies for his friendlies to finish off.

Artemis is great because she can dish out a lot of exp while not being absolutely squishy. She is also good at mid lane because of her AOE attack. Her ulti (stun) + her speed arrow with damage build can be deadly.

Ao Kuang, if belt for tanking, is great for just about anything. You gotta realize that, especially early game, your purpose is to take out creeps and provide backup for friendlies. Mid game you are (usually) an awesome tank so you can take a lot of hits for your friendlies, or use your speed boost (2) to help you take out fleeing enemies with your 1 or ulti, or even a well placed 3.

Late game, your role, for the most part, goes back to being primarily for creeps and a backup tank in team fights.

At least that's been my experience with the above mentioned.

I've yet to meet an Arachne or a Kali that has been a threat to me as Ao Kuang. I can get away from most champs no problem. The biggest problem I've had, and I've only run in to it once, is a well-played Loki.
    -Cingal

Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 94

I play pretty regularly. IGN Is Infuriated and I'm level 30, probably a waste of time to hit me up for a Conquest match since I pretty much play Arena exclusively. Domination can be fun sometimes, though.

I play with Hercules, Ymir, Cupid and Hebo, usually whichever fits the team comp best.

It's got plenty of issues, but I haven't enjoyed a game like this since Exteel (not quite the same but have similar addictive qualities for me lol). My main tip is don't rely on the automatic skill/items forever.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    I personally would stay away as Kali and Arachne as a new player. Ra is great cause he is good for laning with a jungler, or playing mid. Or just laning with anyone, due to his ability to take out minions and healing himself/friendlies. Plus his ulti is very nice.
    Arachne is good for new players because her eggs act as wards and can solo jungle minions at rank 3, she has a massive easy to use slow and most people don't know how to counter life drain, her ultimate is hard to hit and her team fight presence is a little lacking, but overall she is a decent carry for newbies to learn.

Kali's life steal is the main reason I suggested her, that and anyone coming from LoL who enjoys Kat will most likely enjoy Kali.

Ymir is a tank, he's good at keeping himself and his team alive (if played right) and is capable of stunning + slowing enemies for his friendlies to finish off.
    Ymir can build some AP which allows him to do respectful damage while also being tanky, which helps quite a bit when your carries are playing catch up.

Artemis is great because she can dish out a lot of exp while not being absolutely squishy. She is also good at mid lane because of her AOE attack. Her ulti (stun) + her speed arrow with damage build can be deadly.
    On top of that her abilities are all very simply to use, which is why she is such a strong pick.

Ao Kuang, if belt for tanking, is great for just about anything. You gotta realize that, especially early game, your purpose is to take out creeps and provide backup for friendlies. Mid game you are (usually) an awesome tank so you can take a lot of hits for your friendlies, or use your speed boost (2) to help you take out fleeing enemies with your 1 or ulti, or even a well placed 3.

Late game, your role, for the most part, goes back to being primarily for creeps and a backup tank in team fights.
    That's because Ao Kuang is boss! The biggest advantage Ao has is his pushing power thanks to tornado which is his best ability imo.

At least that's been my experience with the above mentioned.

I've yet to meet an Arachne or a Kali that has been a threat to me as Ao Kuang. I can get away from most champs no problem. The biggest problem I've had, and I've only run in to it once, is a well-played Loki.
    The reason they aren't a threat is because Ao Kuang is a pain in the *** for most melee due to his CC and move speed boost from slither.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I play pretty regularly. IGN Is Infuriated and I'm level 30, probably a waste of time to hit me up for a Conquest match since I pretty much play Arena exclusively. Domination can be fun sometimes, though.

I play with Hercules, Ymir, Cupid and Hebo, usually whichever fits the team comp best.

It's got plenty of issues, but I haven't enjoyed a game like this since Exteel (not quite the same but have similar addictive qualities for me lol). My main tip is don't rely on the automatic skill/items forever.
    I had a lot of fun with the water world game mode(was Arena where everyone played as Hebo), crazy doesn't begin to cover the match.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 46

so decided to join in on the SMITE train. IGN Jerrid.

currently eyeballing quite a number of champs, although first shop pick is Bakasura, just for the omnomnom W and puke ult, followed by either Ares or Odin.

Honestly wish I knew that about Ymir, the AP bruiser thing. I lost my very first match with him, even though all his moves to me feel quite good.

Think this is just extra incentive to turn off the auto-buy thing, although I already turned off auto-skilling.
    Last edited by Jerov; 02-01-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    Messing around.

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 10

I used to play a lot smite...but now im playing a lot FPS.

My fav heroes were hebo,Arachne,Thor(It sucked before buff but still played it) and Hel...but she is usually banned lol.

The only thing i dislike its the arena game mode...its...brainless.

I usually don't like Arena mode, but it's pretty easy. You just have to focus on killing the creeps while you let the rest of your team throw themselves at the enemy. Sometimes you have to encourage people to focus the creeps, but it's usually not so bad.
    -Cingal

I don't like it, Im'a uninstall. I don't fancy the game play, feels chunky.

General Manager Reputation: 484

Arena Mode with a group of friends is the best. I don't even play the original mode anymore. The roar of the crowd and my friends getting nuts on vent is just the best.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Blade & Soul
    History: Elsword, Dragon Ball Xenoverse FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

I wouldn't really say Arena is brainless or easy, but... I'd say it's more obviously influenced by bad randoms, since the entire mode is basically just one big team fight until the end and the bad players just keep dying and can't do anything helpful like pushing a lane or something you could do in Conquest. (killing minions is useful and essential but only up to a certain point)

Since It's one big team fight I feel like it has its own set of merits over Conquest, It's truly a war of attrition and close fights are incredibly satisfactory. Especially when it's down to like 2 - 2 and the other teams by 1, I put up with a lot of stupid games and It's worth it when those games occur.

Sadly most Arena matches pretty much boil down to whoever has more players with some balls, a lot of teams just get instantly pressed to their base because no one's initiating while the tank tries in vain to reclaim the middle ground, often the damage is off killing minions (you don't really need 4 people to kill minions lol) or jungling for 5 team fights and fighting 1 and then back to jungling for 5 more...

Honestly, I wish there were an Arena ranked.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I wouldn't really say Arena is brainless or easy, but... I'd say it's more obviously influenced by bad randoms, since the entire mode is basically just one big team fight until the end and the bad players just keep dying and can't do anything helpful like pushing a lane or something you could do in Conquest. (killing minions is useful and essential but only up to a certain point)

Since It's one big team fight I feel like it has its own set of merits over Conquest, It's truly a war of attrition and close fights are incredibly satisfactory. Especially when it's down to like 2 - 2 and the other teams by 1, I put up with a lot of stupid games and It's worth it when those games occur.

Sadly most Arena matches pretty much boil down to whoever has more players with some balls, a lot of teams just get instantly pressed to their base because no one's initiating while the tank tries in vain to reclaim the middle ground, often the damage is off killing minions (you don't really need 4 people to kill minions lol) or jungling for 5 team fights and fighting 1 and then back to jungling for 5 more...

Honestly, I wish there were an Arena ranked.
    I feel it's easier to carry teams in Arena than in Conquest.

That's why I'd like to see some kind of ranked Arena queue, wouldn't have to worry about low level bads and everyone would be more serious with less people shrugging off a loss because its been cast as a casual mode. Carrying a team would probably be more difficult with more competent and competitive teams.
    Games & IGN
    Wurm Online Leviathan
    FFTA2
    Last updated May 31 2010

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

Bans..?
    Arena mode..?

I dunno. I ran a public vent server with 100 slots for SMITE, but I only played the game for 2 days, so when I invited my friend who plays Tribes onto ventrilo, he got mad that I had a SMITE voice chat. And since I am already good at League of Legends I have no reason to learn another competitive MOBA.