Dota 2: Discussion

Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Ride em’ Yoshi Reputation: 17

Coming from LoL I feel, that there are few kind of awkward feeling in the game.

1) Possibility to swap minimap with items, so that it would be in same place as in LoL. I find it strange that they haven't made this possible during the developing of the game, that has been in semi-open beta over 1 year.

2) The characters feel far less responsible, I guess this is because of the turning animation, it feels like you are playing with 300ms ping in this game.

3) The game length is kind of too long. The early-mid feels a lot better than in LoL, but the end game seems to almost always just go on and on, so the overall length of a game feels longer than in LoL.

4) More of a personal a reference and game play mechanic rather than odd feeling. Pulling the creeps to stop a lane or creep blocking overall is in my opinion is kind of stupid. Being able to reset a lane from pushing every few minutes with creep pull is just somehow wrong in my opinion.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Norsu View Post

1) Possibility to swap minimap with items, so that it would be in same place as in LoL. I find it strange that they haven't made this possible during the developing of the game, that has been in semi-open beta over 1 year.

2) The characters feel far less responsible, I guess this is because of the turning animation, it feels like you are playing with 300ms ping in this game.

3) The game length is kind of too long. The early-mid feels a lot better than in LoL, but the end game seems to almost always just go on and on, so the overall length of a game feels longer than in LoL.

4) More of a personal a reference and game play mechanic rather than odd feeling. Pulling the creeps to stop a lane or creep blocking overall is in my opinion is kind of stupid. Being able to reset a lane from pushing every few minutes with creep pull is just somehow wrong in my opinion.
    My thoughts exactly Yet im still playing dota cus you can use each and every hero and most importantly the heroes are just so much more exciting compared to what lol has to offer

Lockhart’s are forever Reputation: 28

1. Well, the minimap was always on the bottom left side - in SC, WC3, DotA, I dont quite see why they would do it the same as LoL.
    If you mean it as an option to change it then maybe they'll allow some UI remapping.

You'll get used to it once you play more.

That's the point, there are strats focusing on early, mid and late game. There's push strat in which you can win games in 13 minutes, there's a mid-game strat by picking semi-carries and combos that work well in the mid game, and there's a late game strat in which hard carries shine.

this mechanic is also important. Not only you're denying both exp and gold so the enemy is theoretically weaker, but as a support you can get some last hits and gold aswell to buy more wards, sentries, upgrade a courier, buy a smoke, a dust or if you're all set you can save for your boots \o/. Also - your carry will be a bit safer (although not always) when the creep line will be closer to his or her tower rather than pushing too much.

Game Journalist Reputation: 75

All of these are parts of the game new players have to get used to and learn how to counteract.

Swapping mini-maps, I thought that was in the game, I'm surprised. You're allowed to skin the UI now so they should add support for swapping in the future, unless there already is a console command for it. There are lots of commands that one can run to change how the game is played and make it function more similar to league.

Turn rate takes sometime to get used to. I came from HoN, which has higher turnrate than League of Legends but lower than Dota, so it was awkward at first. It's part of the game as some spells modify turn rate such as Batrider's Q.

The length of the game depends on leadership in the team. PUBs in the lower levels tend to drag it out a lot but later on people work together and actually push a lot more frequently. Try to take lead and tell people to push and group up. Average game length tends to be 40-45 minutes but of course this all depends on the game and its heroes.

Pulling is a great mechanic as it adds more to the lane. Supports have so much more to do and can contribute greatly to how the laning phase turns out. If it annoys you too much, warding camps causes the creeps to now spawn and at the lower level people don't tend to deward or even pull properly. Pulling without getting your creeps killed works against you as then you get a double wave and end up pushing.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 278

Quote Originally Posted by Abubakr View Post

Swapping mini-maps, I thought that was in the game, I'm surprised. You're allowed to skin the UI now so they should add support for swapping in the future, unless there already is a console command for it. There are lots of commands that one can run to change how the game is played and make it function more similar to league.
    playing with the mini-map on the right side is for nubsie pubsies.

Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

Reading Week is here, time to play some Dota, oh and study of course.

Wow, Tusk is a lot of fun. Looking forward to playing him some more and compile the patch coverage. Anyone have their own personal play styles when it comes to Tusk? I'd love to try him out with various styles.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 46

meehhh, personally I would play him as a bruiser ganker going into full damage FALCONPAWNCH!!! mode if I get fed early on from ganks, but I can't really think of any 'off-the-wall' builds for him. /shrug

I'm starting to really like Nightstalker after playing a few games with him. He's like one of those binary characters where daytime he's UP and weak, then along comes night and he goes "time to make the map my *****". also has one of the best movement animations I've ever seen when his passive is working. something about seeing your char actually racing through the jungle and the river looking for someone's face to bite off feels sooo satisfying. also also he helps teach me value of teh ganks and the sustain power of the bottle & urn for comebacks in fights. finally, scepter map hack, nuff said.
    Messing around.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 25

Tusk should be played as a solo, either on mid or in a 1vs1 lane. Once you hit 6 you can combo people and start acting as your team's iniatiator with Snowball. Get some cost-effective items like Drums, maybe even Mek and just help your team get kills. He's not a carry nor a ricer. Maybe a weak support but he needs levels to be effective.

I need to play him some more for the upcoming patch coverage. My friend loves Tusk and picks him every game leaving me with little chance to play him more when queuing with a group. He seems to be kind of like Night Stalker. Take a solo lane (mid) and get some levels. From there, begin ganking with strong initiation.

Medallion and shadow blade seems to work well on him. I'm not a fan of shadow blade as it tends to get countered easily with wards or gem but it seems to work well with his ult.

Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast