Dota 2: Discussion

Page 12 of 86 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 75

I've always found Dota 2 to be faster than LoL but slower than HoN. How do you guys define the pace of the game?

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 46

from my PoV with LoL and DOTA 2 (don't play HoN), the average LoL pub game is about 25-30min. before either victory or surrender, whereas in DOTA 2 it's usually about 35-40min. to be fair though, I'm currently in the low echelons for DOTA 2 (only have 13 'confirmed' wins so far) while I'm probably somewhere in the mid area if there's some sort of rating system to LoL pubs.

oh, guide system came out recently. good idea even though we already have stuff like the forums & Dotafire, don't like that it's ingame only (as in, in the middle of a match) and you can't leave feedback like in Dotafire outside of +'ing and -'ing, which runs the risk of pubstomp builds being unquestionably rated highly and spoiling newbies who are practicing builds in bot games.
    Messing around.

However, pace isn't really how long the game is though. For me it's a measure of how much is going on average throughout the game. It might be the lower brackets being really slow in Dota 2, I've seen it at times when watching friends, people are too scared to push or don't know when they can end. It picks up later on.

Also, we could use some more members in the OnRPG Dota Steam group! Check out the OP.
    Last edited by Abubakr; 02-24-2013 at 03:54 AM.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 25

Pub games are usually made of lots of carries who want farm, people out of position dieing for no reason whatsoever. LoL has this forced meta where everything has to be done a certain way which makes it a bit better a lower level of play but completely kill any possible high level play.

HoN also had non existant turn rate which is why it feels faster.

Let's hope a new hero comes out this week. Most likely Skywrath Mage. I could use another hero to play around with after this school week is done. :S

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

My favorite champ is Necrolyte. Awesome sustain, and support.

Yeah, Necrolyte is a lot of fun and very strong. Just want this week to be over (at least tomorrow, due to final midterm) so I can play some more Dota. School is fun, but not as fun as Dota.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 25

Running Necrolyte as support is asking to lose, just saying .

Also, lots of changes in the competitive scene. AA and LoH out of Na'vi, leaving place for KuroKy and Funn1k. Surprised they decided to pick up a German but we'll see how it goes. Should be really interesting but I'm still sad to see LoH go. He's such a good player and I'm not only talking from a Na'vi standpoint but even when he was in DTS back in the days.

Wow... That's a big change, I saw the tweet saying there will be changes but I didn't think it would be with their roster. KoroKy and Funn1k are both great players so I'd like to see who this goes. I really liked LoH though.

And yeah, Necrolyte shouldn't play support. He can be really strong with some items. Also, tutorial is coming out for new players, should be sometime tonight. Looking forward to seeing how well it is implemented.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 46

Another for Necro shouldn't play support. But then again, generally if I have to play support, I'd rather pick a hard support like CM, Lich, or KoL (right now I prefer KoL), instead of the more ambiguous ones like Necro & Ogre Magi. Champs like them I feel are better as mid champs depending on who's going to mid, with Necro's powerful ability to deny & sustain, and have deceptive burst with his ult, while Ogre Magi has dem ganks, lolskill burst, and natural tankiness. also they both scale well with items. Necro wants tank to keep his passive running and spam his Q, while Magi wants dat scepter and a refresher orb for FOUR rolls of the die instead of two.

Speaking of Ogre Magi, it's funny how some people don't know how bursty he is once he gets multicast, as a Storm Spirit found out the hard way when he was at 3/4 health. One multi-Q, a W, and some club-smashy, and he was dead. Guess we outsmarted him.

Also want to try the tutorial when it's released, just to see how it is.

Edit: apparently you can look at the user guides on steam. huh. Link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/570/guides/

Edit 2: Okay, playing the tutorial right now. It's currently like an RPG tutorial of sorts where you're "questing" with Dragon Knight. So far it's taught me how to move, how to AA, shop for items, use abilities, show the three types of jungle camps and also play with the vision along the way, and now going to practice LHing. Quite nice so far.

Edit 3: Alright, so like the update says, it's mechanics 101. It teaches: how to move, AA, shop, use items, and level up and use abilities, what the three types of jungle camps are while giving hints as to how vision works, and basic creep mechanics (LH for gold, let creeps eat enemy creep hits for you, let creeps put stuff into LH range, and more aware newbs will pick up the difference between when a melee and range creep can be LH). From my POV, a good Baby's First DOTA 2 Steps, and by proxy LoL & HoN with whatever's transferable. Can't wait to see what the next "quests" (training sessions/modules) are going to be. I would just die if they put in one on lane control, cause one of the #1 newb things I do get annoyed by are the one's that AA all day long with little care for themselves or the rest of the team.
    Last edited by Jerov; 03-01-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Messing around.

Page 12 of 86 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast