Dota 2: Discussion

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 75

Post Dota 2: Discussion

New to Dota?

Dota can be a very hard game to get into because of its very steep learning curve. You will suck if it is your first Action RTS (real time strategy) game and will hate it. Trust me, stick with it and it will get better.

This guide has proven to be useful for newer players, however, my suggestion is to simply play and learn from there. Welcome to Dota, You Suck.

Hero Pool

Check out the Dota 2 Wiki for up to date hero information: http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Heroes

Recommended Heroes for Beginners
    These heroes are selected due to not relying heavily on farm, skills that are easy to hit and understand and single mistakes do not decide team fights. Of course, even if these heroes are good for beginners, many will still be played by top tier players due to Dota's naturally high skill ceiling and learning curve. They may be easy to understand but definitely hard to master.

This list will change and evolve based on the community's collective thoughts on what heroes are good for beginners.

Intelligence

In order: Windrunner, Zeus, Lina, Shadow Shaman, Jakiro, Ogre Magi, Keeper of the Light, Lich, Lion, Dazzle, Crystal Maiden, Death Prophet

Strength

In order: Sven, Beastmaster, Omniknight, Huskar, Centaur Warrunner, Tusk, Axe, Sand King, Tidehunter, Night Stalker, Spirit Breaker, Undying

Agility

In order: Juggernaught, Vengeful Spirit, Sniper, Luna, Bounty Hunter, Ursa, Bloodseeker, Razor, Venomancer, Viper

Dota 2 @ OnRPG

Full Review

Latest Articles:
    Dota 2: Techies has arrived!
    Dota 2: New Bloom Festival
    Dota 2: Wraith-Night UpdateDota TV: Tune Into eSports Without Logging Out
    Dota 2: Sleep, not Stun
    Dota 2: Wait for me, my Princess
    Dota 2: Falcon Punch!
    The Greeviling Reviewed
    Halloween Brings Diretide

Recommended Websites

Team Liquid
    JoinDOTA
    DOTABUFF
    Dota 2 Wiki

Free to Play
    Valve has released a great documentary going over the competitive side of Dota 2.

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

OnRPG Steam Group

Please join our OnRPG Steam group. This group can be used to get to know other Dota players from the community and learn about any upcoming events (with reminders!).

Rules

1. Do not begin comparing Dota 2 to other games. Keep this thread focused on Dota.
    2. There are many ways to play and think. Respect that.

Obviously the forum rules need to be observed
    Last edited by Abubakr; 09-12-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Removed CyborgMatt's blog.

Post reserved for future updates.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I've played DoTA 2 in the past, but have never been good at it. I got to a point where I could play as Lich and Lion decently, but eh... I have a friend that plays it all the time, though. Overall, it's a fun game if you don't mind being bad for your first week/month or so.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

Dota 2 is awesome in regards to the fact that unlike LoL, you don't throw money at your screen and then win... You're forced to learn balanced heroes. You also get every single hero without buying them like you do in LoL, which is a massive turn on. Now with that said, both games are pretty hard to get in to. I suggest you find a few heroes you are interested in, find highly rated guides, follow or at least somewhat follow those guides and learn to play within co-op games against bots set on easy. Buuut with that said, even 'bot easy' is pretty hard to start at, so be calm and don't freak out if you die from a bot, like over 9000 times at first.

My current favorite hero: N'aix the Lifestealer

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    Dota 2 is awesome in regards to the fact that unlike LoL, you don't throw money at your screen and then win... You're forced to learn balanced heroes. You also get every single hero without buying them like you do in LoL, which is a massive turn on. Now with that said, both games are pretty hard to get in to. I suggest you find a few heroes you are interested in, find highly rated guides, follow or at least somewhat follow those guides and learn to play within co-op games against bots set on easy. Buuut with that said, even 'bot easy' is pretty hard to start at, so be calm and don't freak out if you die from a bot, like over 9000 times at first.

My current favorite hero: N'aix the Lifestealer
    Aren't skins purely cosmetic?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

Quote Originally Posted by ProneToBleed View Post
    Aren't skins purely cosmetic?
    You are required to buy entire heroes within LoL while in Dota 2, you have access to all of them for free, with the option to customize them with cosmetic items. With that said, they don't have skins but individual parts for decent customization. For example, I can equip different weapons and armor parts, separate from a set. There are more options as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    I've played DoTA 2 in the past, but have never been good at it. I got to a point where I could play as Lich and Lion decently, but eh... I have a friend that plays it all the time, though. Overall, it's a fun game if you don't mind being bad for your first week/month or so.
    Yeah. It's a game where you will really hate it at first because you will keep getting crushed and not know why. Once you get past that, you come to love it. And good choice with Lich and Lion, both are very good beginner heroes even used in more serious games.

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 10

Dota 2 is quite fun, first character I learned was Jugg then Sven and Templar Assassin. It's very hard to play, but that should not discourage anyone from trying it. Just ask around on Onrpg, people generally give advice out and are willing to help you in-game!

Let's not start that.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

i find dota heroes a lot more interesting but i really miss smartcast and no turn speed anyway, if some1 wanna play with me(im still a baddie only about 50games) add me on steam : nubcandy

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast