Divergent Online - Hardcore Sci-Fi Sandbox MMO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired Staff Reputation: 492

Default Divergent Online - Hardcore Sci-Fi Sandbox MMO

Several years ago we posted about an up-and-coming sci-fi sandbox MMO called Divergence. The game featured a hybrid interface that allowed players to toggle between an action mode with crosshairs and a more traditional MMO targeting and auto-attack setup.

The game subsequently dropped off the grid, but now developer Stainglass Llama and Divergence universe creator Ethan Casner are back with an IndieGogo crowdfunding project and a $50,000 goal.

Divergence promises a seamless, non-linear, and modifiable world with skill-based progression and plenty of non-combat advancement opportunities. It also styles itself as a hardcore enterprise with open PvP, lootable corpses, "limited permanent death," and unique races and breeds.
    YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Website for IndieGogo: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/339276/

This and The Repopulation seem to be duking it out for indie Sandbox MMO title to watch -- and I'm liking the features listed in both of them. I kickstarted TRP, but I'll keep researching to see if this title is worth funding as well in its ambitious list of features.
    Last edited by Bryan; 02-25-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Banned Reputation: 34

but still only one guy. alot player now of day wont pay monthly fee for mmorpg. he would need to make cash shop system to keep his game alive. he maybe get like 100 people to play it but that dont keep a mmorpg alive. and player see to many bugs and error they freak out and dont understand a mmorpg is a big bug game it keep getting update and new things and human are not machine that what people forget
    Last edited by NeoJaz; 02-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

IndieGogo crowdfunding project and a $50,000 goal.
    This sounds hopeless. Is it a mainstream publisher? No? Alright then. TheRepopulation gets funded while Xenocell and Xsyon aren't. Star Citizen (a mainstream developer) gets funded while Vendetta (a completed product) doesn't. Pathfinder gets funded while Forge and Arche Blade (playable products) aren't funded. Quality has nothing to do with a game's success. It's all just hype and marketing... But I'll stop ranting and watch the video. If this game is at all innovative, then you can bet that the fundraiser will be unsuccessful.

1:45 Well that just made everyone interested.
    2:42
    4:55 SO TRUE

Well, time to bring out the wallet instead of watching helplessly. The gaming industry is a fücking joke.

20:10 Beautiful graphics.
    21:36 :) I do.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapiidz View Post
    Even if this does get funded, it will have a cult following at best.
    Why does it have to appeal to everyone? Going mainstream isn't his goal. He just wants to make his dream come true. Yeah I'm bitter about indie sandbox projects too, because they (almost) always are unsuccessful. But remember - the mainstream games you are comparing to have hundreds of times as many employees.

Sure, it's good for the producer, getting the money in before even implementing most of the "defining features" (looking at you, WarZ). But it leaves players disappointed and ultimately, spending less money than they would have done.
    He has a physics engine, a variety of models, animations, explorable areas and up-to-date graphics. Each of which is individually a major accomplishment for a small team of programmers - let alone ONE GUY. What you don't see is the serverside networking and databasing that also requires immense knowledge and effort.
    5:06 MAINSTREAM GAMES HAVE HUNDREDS OF PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYEES. He did this himself. It's not even about the game. Yeah I can play another sandbox. An asian grinder. A mainstream cash cow that milks its playerbase with cash shop items... But I am ****ing sick with the retarded cycle of high quality games getting shutdown due to lack of funding and players flocking to overhyped big publishers. If you go to a videogame store in 2000 it used to be all PC titles. Now the only PC section is a few Blizzard games. Anyone who wants to make their own game and actually spends their life trying to meet the expectations of modern gamers just gets screwed and bankrupted. Indie developers wish they could make minimum wage. Some of them go mainstream. Most of them don't. And the primary difference between success and failure is marketing/hype. That shouldn't be what drives the gaming industry, and I say this everytime an MMO goes bankrupt. And I'm ****ing sick of repeating this. Anyone who dedicates their life to the gaming industry notices the same thing:

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    As Omer is a very isolated guy I can't say 100% that's his reasoning but I believe it's a likely theory.

My second theory is maybe after dedicating his life to nothing but MMOs for an extended period of time he got burned out on seeing the industry not innovating in the slightest
    The new generation of consoles will have a large majority of the gaming base,
    Did you know that console games are buy-to-play?
    Last edited by Phenoca; 02-25-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

Ethan Casner really hates Venture Capitalists, heh.

The video was pretty poor in all honesty. A lot of talk about a seemingly endless MMO where events were yet to take place etc, with no explanation of how he was going to achieve it. Looking at what is currently in the video, it will be 2+ years until that game is ready for a proper release. (Alpha/Beta isn't release.)

By 2015, the game just won't be competitive in the gaming market. 2014/2015 is a terrible time to be releasing a new mmo. The new generation of consoles will have a large majority of the gaming base, whether that's the new xbox, ps3 or the improved PC releases. (PC quality of console ports will see a dramatic jump up as they are no longer limited by the 7 year old console capabilities, coupled with better/cheaper hardware)

Even if this does get funded, it will have a cult following at best.

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 15

Quick 2cent. No one cares if an interesting game's in development. As a player, we play games, not wait for them to be playable. Tell us again when it's released in case we haven't already heard about it.

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Oraigin View Post
    Quick 2cent. No one cares if an interesting game's in development. As a player, we play games, not wait for them to be playable. Tell us again when it's released in case we haven't already heard about it.
    Pretty much this, to a lesser extent. With gamers being a largely teenage based group (that's changing, but still the case), by the time a game like this get's funded, produced and released, a large portion of the community will have moved on to something else. 2 years in the gaming industry is a long time. What happened to the days when you bought a game already in version 1.0? Everything for the past few years has been released as alpha/beta and half the players have gotten bored before it even launched. Sure, it's good for the producer, getting the money in before even implementing most of the "defining features" (looking at you, WarZ). But it leaves players disappointed and ultimately, spending less money than they would have done.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 50

Quote Originally Posted by Oraigin View Post
    That's true. People might get hyped when seeing it now, but at the time this is ready to release most will have moved on and gotten used to something better. I agree

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 47

Honestly, there are thousands of projects like this. There was no detailed info about the game, just showing he has a few ideas and work done.

Last but not least, he somewhat claims he hates how mmorpgs are released by greedy companies, usually releasing a game in a bad state and what else. My question is...how will his game be any different? He showed he has some ideas and work done, but that's about it.

I wish him the best...but it didn't give me a single strong reason why people should support his game instead of any other indie game other than it being a sci-fi mmorpg. The talk is nice...but words are just words, there is no proof to see if what is being said is true or not...it's pure marketing after all even if it's an indie game.
    Last edited by Adamaris; 02-25-2013 at 06:08 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

MFW out of half an hour of video, all he had to say was that it was a refuge for old SWG players.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

See's title, so happy to see Divergent, sad when I realise it's not.. Divergent as a game

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast