When do you say that skills are balanced in game?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 11

Default When do you say that skills are balanced in game?

A lot of players are complaining about mages in rose online because of their debuffing ability. They have two skills that can debuff an enemy and both have 100% success rate w/ 2 minutes cool down (not sure). I understand them and i really get frustrated when i lose my buffs cause it makes killing a lot more difficult especially when the opposing group has complete buffs.

Plus, they can
    -decloak invisible enemies
    - use mana from enemies
    - buff themselves if they choose to get the skills
    - has tons of AOE skills

mages (in most games) have an average defense compared to other classes. i get that. THey also need to run from melee classes because of that and they're somehow the weaker class~?

But I don't think this is still enough to say that having all those cool skills is fair to other classes.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Well you answered your own question in a way. Any game that players come to rely on certain buffs becomes insanely imbalanced instantly. Especially if a debuff mechanic is added.

Rock Man Reputation: 14

a game is balanced when every class has imba skills of its own that serves a niche purpose, and that no other class has.

@Mizore not really. just make it so that every class has to be relied on for something. whether it be imba healing, imba dps, imba buffs/debuffs

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 10

well if all of the classes depends on buffs and there is just one class
    that can debuff them that also has high damage and lots of AOE skills then yeah it's pretty imbalance
    Last edited by summerishere; 03-21-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 21

A game is balanced where everything has an opposite and a purpose ... What is the opposite of this item? Well OK, i just got an item which automatically heals X amount of hp every second... Well then let's reduce your mana regen per second by 20% or something... Purpose? Well now you are much more suited to tanking in a party rather than dealing damage, allowing you to build a more defensive character whilst someone else might use items to build a more offensive character...

I have to second Feyte's response, i love seeing people get away with making an offensive cleric... a super defensive rogue that you can't hit because they have ridiculous evasion etc etc. Giving players the ability to deviate from stereotypes exponentially increases the customization available to them but the key is balance... Make sure that no matter what combination a player tries, there will always be a "weakspot"

I think this whole notion of "Mage = Unstoppable Glass Cannon" needs to be thrown out the window and i have a simple counter for this stereotype... Want to take care of a mage that hits u with insane damage? Spell Shield which reflects X amount of skills but immobilizes you for the duration or until it procs, skills that remove snares or debuffs (A good example would be something like a Barbarian War Cry/ Berserker Rage that breaks you free of any restraints but in turn deals damage to yourself for the duration), gap-closing skills like a Leap or Dash... See? Simple things like this can allow you to counter a "Glass Cannon Mage" if you know how to use them...

Sorry for the lengthy post but there are some things that are no-brainers and it astounds me when massive developing companies fail to incorporate these kinds of things... (Probably why i like Path of Exile so much, their Dev team have common sense)

I'm excited to see other people's thoughts on this issue ^^

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 11

I don't think mages in Rose Online have high damage or do they?
    But considering they have low def and low atk pwr, I think it's just fair for them to have those skills.

Balanced would mean having skills unique to each class that could compensate for each class' weaknesses.

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 23

do you want to know what overpowered is? two words. ASURA STRIKE

EijiDate - Commander - lvl 5x
    Requiem: Memento Mori - Nova Server

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

I'm in the school of thought of the "perfect imbalance".

Here is a video that can explain it better than I can.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ayotori20 View Post
    I don't think mages in Rose Online have high damage or do they?
    But considering they have low def and low atk pwr, I think it's just fair for them to have those skills.

Balanced would mean having skills unique to each class that could compensate for each class' weaknesses.
    Rose has always suffered an interesting problem where if your opponent has buffs and you don't, you will lose 98% of them time at least. The buffs simply are that powerful.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 14

one of the perfectly balanced game i played was starcraft 1. and the original 6 2nd jobs of ragnarok online. idk but sometimes i think that devs have their own favorite classes and tend to buff that class like the force shielder in cabal.
    ---
    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. Why? Why did he jump over?!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast