Depression

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

Default Depression

Any ways besides meds to battle depression? Im on meds but they are 50/50 meaning sometimes works and sometimes they dont. Im depressed right now and im not sure why. Its never ending. My mind wont stay stable. So any thing i can do at all to make my self feel a little better. Im trying not to self harm any more. Its really hard because it relives my pain im going throgh. So please help me out. No this is not for attation this is me asking for some way to battle this never ending battle. I dont mean by cureing it since that seems inpossibal to do. I am just tired of being sad happy anger sad happy wanting to die over and over.

Thank you

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 619

listen to Swans it will make you happy again

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

but seriously if your mood changes so often i would talk to your shrink about your meds cause it might just be that.
    play some games, take a walk outside, eat/drink some nice things. enjoy the small things of life.
    Last edited by Abhorsen; 03-21-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Currently Playing: Borderlands the pre-sequel

>Screenshot Collection 2013-2014<

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 384

Curing depression for Duby

Code named.

Mission inpossibal.

But On a serious note, you should find a vent, that isn't self harm. Pick up a hobby, anything to keep your mind from swimming, which generally leads to depression I would think.

┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴ Reputation: 534

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    Any ways besides meds to battle depression? Im on meds but they are 50/50 meaning sometimes works and sometimes they dont. Im depressed right now and im not sure why. Its never ending. My mind wont stay stable. So any thing i can do at all to make my self feel a little better. Im trying not to self harm any more. Its really hard because it relives my pain im going throgh. So please help me out. No this is not for attation this is me asking for some way to battle this never ending battle. I dont mean by cureing it since that seems inpossibal to do. I am just tired of being sad happy anger sad happy wanting to die over and over.

Thank you
    Get professional help and call a hotline.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 134

A good old fap session cures me of everything.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post

Thank you

The neat thing about the internet is that you find out that 60-80% of the people that you meet will suffer from some degree of depression, either at the time of meeting, prior to it, or sometime after. Not everyone you meet will have it to the same extent as you, some will be worse off, some better off, but a lot of people can relate to the feelings.

Personally, the best way I have found to deal with those feelings is to write (mostly about games, sometimes other things) and play games with people in a Voice-chat environment. Writing helps you express yourself, and if people read what you write, it generally makes you feel better a bit better about yourself (if self-esteem is an issue). If you write a journal/diary or a blog, it'll help you express the stuff you are feeling. A lot of the time, I find a big problem is just that you don't understand what you're feeling or why you're feeling it. It's why people always suggest you talk about your feelings rather than keeping them in. Writing about it can help you understand it better and feel better.

Being in VOIP with people completely eliminates that feeling of being alone. That's why I suggest that people join a good guild with a voice chat (either TS, Ventrilo, Mumble, Raidcall, etc...). Playing a game can also make you feel like you're being productive if you're working at accomplishing some task. Which helps a lot when you're feeling down.

So, my suggestion to you is: Find a good guild that are friendly and understanding. Get in VOIP with them and be there daily, spending a few hours a day (if you have that much spare time) interacting with them. Play games with them. Then, start a blog at blog.com or blogger.com or one of those sites. Begin writing about your experiences in the game each day, as well as how you're feeling and all that. Don't be afraid to share your blog (put it in your sig on OnRPG or something). Then, sign up for a google analytics account or whatever it's called and attach it to your blog so you can see how many people are visiting.

Also, if your computer can handle it, start recording some gameplay and put it up on youtube. Also sign up for photobucket (I find it to be the best hosting site for screenshots), so you can share screenshots of your gameplay.

You'll feel like you're being productive with your time. You will be able to express your feelings, and take your mind off of things that may be causing you issues with your life. You wont feel alone because you'll be in a VOIP with people (even if you're just listening in... if you can't find a good guild, find a good twitch.tv stream that has a streamer that participating with his viewers... just hearing a voice and talking to people in a chatroom scenario can help).

The meds can only help, they wont cure it. You need to start feeling like you have a purpose in your life, even if that purpose is only to play games. If playing games is what you like, make it your purpose. It's why people get hobbies, because life is just shit if you don't have something you can dedicate time to that you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    Get professional help and call a hotline.
    He's already done that, I think. Considering he's on meds.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 03-21-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 32

I suffer from depression.I have been from the age of thirteen and I am now twenty.The thing about depression is that it never leaves and rears its ugly head when you least expect it to.Sometimes talking helps you feel better other times it will just make it worse.The thing that you have to do is simple:Have fun.Do something that YOU enjoy doing.Be it playing video games,playing cards,hanging out with friends,caring for plants,working out,etc.Although they seem like hobbies they are therapeutic in nature.They are all forms of venting and they will make you feel better.Watch a comedy or my favorite web series "Rage Quit" if you want because laughing does help!Self harm doesn't help though it simply causes more damage than good.Because the scars are a reminder of why you caused yourself harm and you will be trapped in a never ending cycle of harm.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

@łApocaRUFF:
    Feeling like shit is kinda wide spread. I think it's because people are not very resilient to emotional distress. Modern day culture is infected with things that can cause depression.
    Becoming HC clinically depressed is more rare, but yea, aside from that moments where it's great, life pretty much sucks.

@duby:
    Find a place that does meetings and "self-help groups". Those self-help groups are not in all sense "self-help". They are partially named such to not shame people who do not want to accept help and also give them a space. However you can use them to let them help you outside of you "helping yourself".
    A way more formal way of saying this: Get a working support network. People to talk with, honestly and genuinely. Not being genuine and building a facade can add to your problem.
    (No matter what it is, if you can't find something like that easily in your area, try to find any kind of social interaction thing for grownups. Something religious, if it must be, even if you don't "sign up for it", they might be tolerant about that. Keep away from groups that might be "immature", not in the sense of age, but behavior. Baseline: find a group of nice people and hang out with them, no matter if you like what they do at all. Your depressed you won't "just love it", at least at the beginning.)
    Also: Do sports and exercise. Force yourself. It also teaches you to force yourself to do other things that are actually "good for you". This is the key to overcoming your limitation, because it's just in your head. If you feel you can't you could also try to phase it out and "dive through", just start doing it without allowing yourself to think about it at that moment (if you are not too uncomfortable with that).
    Last edited by Ronin; 03-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Stay frosty.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 62

I have to take meds for mine. Talking about it did nothing( usually just made it worse), "self help groups" did nothing, getting hobbies did nothing( was depressed doing hobbies), getting over it didn't help( got 4 suicide attempts), altruism does nothing( feel nothing bout it), exercise did nothing( was a scholarship offered level athlete), hung around people( made it worse). I don't want to take them, hate it, but honestly, it's the only think that has helped for me. Sometimes a person has to take meds. Sometimes it's the only think that can help. Maybe after a year, after your able to talk and get better, you can start weening off them and see how it goes.

I took em for bout 4 months was doing very well, went off them and plummeted hardcore and had to go back on. Kinda just accepted I may be one of those people that has to take them or I'm just doomed, ****ed, and dead by my own hands eventually.

I don't fully know your situation, but only you can know if you've tried everything. If you have, the next step may just be accepting you may be one of them people who has to take meds to get through the day. If not, try the stuff you haven't yet.
    Last edited by Rebuzzal; 03-21-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Go outside.

Dunny 2014 Updated 10/19

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast