Depression

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 547

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuzzal View Post
    I have to take meds for mine. Talking about it did nothing( usually just made it worse), "self help groups" did nothing, getting hobbies did nothing( was depressed doing hobbies), getting over it didn't help( got 4 suicide attempts), altruism does nothing( feel nothing bout it), exercise did nothing( was a scholarship offered level athlete), hung around people( made it worse).
    All that medicine ever can do is say "This is what helps, usually".
    You can't predict the future and you never know what will happen.

People get discouraged from keeping trying different things if one or two won't work for them.
    Especially if they are in a constantly discouraged, depressed state.

Every of the things you said are normally good and for that reason, should be tested out.
    OP should; That's my opinion.

Like when you said hanging around people makes it worse for you, is also revealing it obvious that social interaction can be a very important a factor in this.

Even though "exposure" as psychological ailment is pretty much the mainstream idea of things, it can also not work, in which case, usually the opposite, limiting exposure works. That is something for everyone individually to try. When an impulse arises into the direction of giving it a try. One can see the glass as half full or empty, but that it should be tried doesn't change.

Edit:
    Anyways, the first preferable option to treat depression should be therapy.
    All those options are either easy to deal with don't require a lot of effort and don't cost a lot. They are also not as promising concerning getting real tangible results. They offer a good chance. The majority of afflicted people at least feel "better" doing each one of those things.
    Last edited by Ronin; 03-21-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Stay frosty.

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 382

When I was 15 I also had depression, it was serious as well. to describe it how I remember feeling, the moment I woke up I would feel fine, then about 10 seconds later a dark cloud would set over me and I would lose motivation to even get out of bed, I had no desire to do anything but just lay there and exist, rather than live. I couldn't sleep some nights, I would just lay there, my heart would race, It was terrible. I eventually started seeing a doctor for it, who prescribed me with some meds, I was taking the meds for about 2 months, they worked, but then one night I remember asking myself "Do i really want to take this stuff for the rest of my life?" So I threw them away, I started looking inside for what was causing my depression, I decided that it was my environment at the time, so I moved to stay with my relatives in a different state.

Since then ive never had depression like that again, other than the occasional night where im wondering what im doing with my life, but thats normal for most people.

My advice is to try and remain optimistic, try to figure out whats causing your depression, try not to let your mind swim, just always remain doing something, anything.
    Last edited by TreyTrey12; 03-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 41

I vent my feelings by typing it out as a journal and finding healthy activities that keep me focused like my part time job or volunteer work.

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 194

Exercise is thought to be one of the best treatments for depression, no joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlazex View Post
    sorry for you have the evil heart in the universe. your type are just destroy are world
    The battle of science vs. religion ended when churches started putting lightning rods on their steeples.

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 11

What depressed people need is most of the time, change in perspective. I would say best thing to do is to seek professional health. It's also possible that the meds you are actually taking are causing your depression. A trip to a psychiatrist could help ^^

Ride em’ Yoshi Reputation: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    All that medicine ever can do is say "This is what helps, usually".
    You can't predict the future and you never know what will happen.

People get discouraged from keeping trying different things if one or two won't work for them.
    Especially if they are in a constantly discouraged, depressed state.

Every of the things you said are normally good and for that reason, should be tested out.
    OP should; That's my opinion.

Like when you said hanging around people makes it worse for you, is also revealing it obvious that social interaction can be a very important a factor in this.

Even though "exposure" as psychological ailment is pretty much the mainstream idea of things, it can also not work, in which case, usually the opposite, limiting exposure works. That is something for everyone individually to try. When an impulse arises into the direction of giving it a try. One can see the glass as half full or empty, but that it should be tried doesn't change.

Edit:
    Anyways, the first preferable option to treat depression should be therapy.
    All those options are either easy to deal with don't require a lot of effort and don't cost a lot. They are also not as promising concerning getting real tangible results. They offer a good chance. The majority of afflicted people at least feel "better" doing each one of those things.
    Well, I didn't just try one or two things. I tried for 21 years, a lot of shit. I did both ends of everything. My point was, doing the typical things suggested doesn't always work. People say exercise more. That did nothing FOR ME. I was a college scholarship offered athlete. Dont exercise? same deal. Get out more. I threw parties with 100+ people, was around people a good bit. Made it no better. Be alone? same shit. Talk about it, don't talk about it, same result. Help people, don't help people. Same shit. therapy? I was in therapy for a year and still attempted suicide. No therapy, same deal.There is likely nothing you could offer that I didn't try. Taking meds was the only thing that made me somewhat stable.

If ya read the second paragraph, I said that if he hasn't tried some things, he still should. I was coming from the angle that if he has tried everything to his ability and nothing is working, it may be time to accept he might have to take meds. And who knows, If it makes him decent enough to make a great deal of progress, he may can come off them at some point.
    “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 88

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    Im depressed right now and im not sure why. Its never ending. My mind wont stay stable. So any thing i can do at all to make my self feel a little better.
    change your Avatar

DrHime |MsNakita
    SD Gundam - League of Legends - Grand Chase

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 504
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Chiyeon View Post
    change your Avatar
    Yeah, stop surrounding yourself with negative stuff. Your environment affects you.

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 178

[01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): it's just im tired of all this
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): women need to know
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): chivalry never existed
    [01:54] Hyst (cstrikermx): knights were bastards to everyone
    [01:56] Riz (rizev): What about...
    [01:56] Riz (rizev): JEDI knights?

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Go outside.
    Perhaps to exercise. Ways I deal with depression is sleeping, music, or exercising.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast