Which is better VB or C++?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired Staff Reputation: 10

VB is a MUCH easier language to learn, but also it doesn't preform well for games. C++ on the other is a very tough programming experience, but is great for games.

Stick with Visual Basic if you just want to make windows applications

Learn C++ if you want to program your very own games.

Learn C++ if you want to program proffesionally in the future. The language is becoming a standard for all types of jobs and apps.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono
    Learn C++ if you want to program proffesionally in the future. The language is becoming a standard for all types of jobs and apps.
    Uhm, this was true 10-15 years ago, but that's simply just not true anymore. C++ in the business industry has become a legacy language -- that is, it exists just to maintain previous code made with C++ -- for the most part. Languages like .NET (C# and VB.NET) and Java have more or less begun to dominate the business industry.

Now the games industry is different. They still stick to ASM/C/C++ pretty religiously. But still, this has been the standard fare in the game industry for years and years now.
    Gauntlets of Recursion (+5) - My game development journal.

Retired Staff Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by HopeDagger
    Uhm, this was true 10-15 years ago, but that's simply just not true anymore. C++ in the business industry has become a legacy language -- that is, it exists just to maintain previous code made with C++ -- for the most part. Languages like .NET (C# and VB.NET) and Java have more or less begun to dominate the business industry.

Now the games industry is different. They still stick to ASM/C/C++ pretty religiously. But still, this has been the standard fare in the game industry for years and years now.
    C++ is also .NET, you can use it in that manner if you want, and if you don't then thats fine, because not all PC's support .NET, only systems that are running on Windows I believe, this can be a problem at times. C# isn't very popular, and VB has its limits. Also I should'nt have is "is becoming a standard", I meant to say "IS a standard". :P

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Programming languages are tools, just use whichever one fits the program your developing best.

none of them are better than the other, you just cant compare them, they each have there own uses...

if one was truly better than the other, than the "other" wouldnt exist, because there would be no need for it...
    Last edited by Hayloe; 06-16-2006 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono
    C++ is also .NET, you can use it in that manner if you want, and if you don't then thats fine
    C++/CLI (Managed C++) should be considered as a completely different beast than unmanaged C++. C++/CLI sees pretty seldom usage, but that may or may not change in the future depending on how Microsoft pushes it.

because not all PC's support .NET, only systems that are running on Windows I believe, this can be a problem at times.
    Nay; it's no problem. Check out Mono and .GNU.

C# isn't very popular
    Yeah right! C# is becoming hugely popular. Do a search on any job-search website for "C#" and you'll be whacked with pages and pages of results. .NET is gaining huge popularity. Even a handful of commercial C# computer games have been released.
    Gauntlets of Recursion (+5) - My game development journal.

I have become interested in this conversation. What games are written in C#?

-Bryan-

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 12

well, my friend says she thinks vb would be good for txt based rpg what with the if/then and such... (dont know the actual stuff) anyhoo, she started teaching me some, and she said you can do some stuff like if heroweapon equals icesword then hit equals 5-10 or whatever. this is not real VB. i dont really know anything about it, but i would do vb. also the fact your learning in school is wicked cool, it will help you out later.

Banned Reputation: 14

I found the best way to decide between two different programming languages was to sit and read them. Find yourself an example of a program written in both VB and C++, then read it through line by line and see if you can easily follow what it is doing, if you follow one easier than the other then maybe that's gonna be the easiest language for you to learn.

For example when I was first starting to program I couldnt decide between C and C++, so I just read through a basic hello world program:

Code:
    //my c++ example of hello world

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

main() 
    {
       cout << "Hello World!\n";
    }
    And:

Code:
    //My example of hello world in C.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
       printf ("Hello World!\n");
    }
    I read through them both line by line and came to the conclusion that C was easier to understand for me, i saw printf and thought "ok thats gonna print something". Then I saw cout << and thought "erm? wtf.". But maybe that's just me, I hope you try this and I hope this help's with any other languages anyones having trouble deciding between.

(Please note that looking at hello world for an example is pretty crappy, you might wanna try something a bit more complex, I just posted Hello World because it's short and sweet.)
    Last edited by TwitcH; 07-19-2006 at 02:56 AM.

Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 10

Some people may have a different perspective of "cout << " because its commonly pronounced as "see-OUT", and the " << " has a visual effect as to the flowing of text onto the screen.

As everyone says, its mostly a matter of preference and what you need to do. Also, some things use multiple languages. For example, if I was making an MMORPG, I could just do everything in C++, but why bother when theres other tools to do such? Maybe make the patcher in VB, the server in C++, and the client in DarkBasic with a few addon C++/Assembly DLLs to assist? Theres a lot of diffirent uses for diffirent languages, but diffirent things can be pulled off at diffirent rates. Then again you go back to the matter of personal preference. =P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast