Camelot Unchained: The Ripple Effect

Hybrid View

General Manager Reputation: 353

Default Camelot Unchained: The Ripple Effect

Hey all!

Not very often in recent memory has there been something going on that impacts the online gaming community enough to get me hyped up. Maybe the City of Heroes event. Certainly the threat of SOPA. But right now the Camelot Unchained Kickstarter isn't looking great and I can't stand the thought of seeing it not make that goal.

Anyway I've written up a piece of what its failure might mean for the industry as a whole since its received enough spotlight that the ripple effects are going to be far felt.

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editor...d-an-industry/

It's not too late. Click the link in my sig and help make this kickstarter a reality.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Stop being a dirty hobo and pay the cheap monthly sub. - FarmerM

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 181

You know why so many back off from Supporting it. :9

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 36

Like I said before, 2 mills are way too much. I dont think they'll make it. I didnt pledge (nor will I ever pledge to anything).
    Regardless of that I'd like to see the game continue.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 29

Im sorry, Even though the idea is great and all... In its form right now. Its just some guy throwing ideas at you stating what his ideal MMO would be... Theres nothing really physical to reinforce anything.... The whole video makes me feel like If I pledged money, It wouldnt go to the game... but the guy himself... Cause thats all he could seem to talk about...

But another similar game would be Richard Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar.... which I feel is wayyy more deserving of pledges than this game. Yes, Richard Garriot's is also kinda egotistical.... but so far all of his games where cult successes and extremely fun to play...

Also, I feel your review is kinda like trying to make us feel bad that we arnt gonna back up a game that for most of us feels like bunch of hot air...
    There are so... SO many other games that are getting backers and pledgers and donators, but what those games have, is a bunch of guys who took the time to actually make a Tech Demo, a proof of concept... Well anything more physcial than a bunch of screenshots and some guy talking about how he made (Insert some shitty iphone sounding game here) oh and he helped make the first age of camelot....

I mean yea I agree with some things you posted... but im sorry... Camelot Unchained isnt going be this linchpin that will start this horrible ripple effect. If it gets its money, GREAT!, if it doesnt... Maybe they should make some demos and actually show people something... Then try again a second time...

In the meantime, I'll stick to pledging money to. Starcitizen, Shroud of the Avatar and Guns of Icarus: Adventure mode. All games that could be considered "Indie Titles".
    Last edited by Imaword2; 04-27-2013 at 09:44 AM.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 50

Damn, Dizzy. You're a real CU fanboy aren't you? lol
    Gotta say that I agree with Imaword2.
    Sure, he can talk a lot, and lots of what he says sounds great. But if I am to invest my money, I want to see proof of what I am about to invest in actually exists.
    Never been a fan of Kickstarter to begin with... Won't pledge anything unless I am really convinced. And sadly CU just doesn't convince me even if in theory their concept sounds unique.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

i don't understand why Mark J is going about Camelot U in this way. As he has so much experience and credibility, why doesn't he do a proper straightforward capital raising from the expert venture cap guys? I understand maybe he does not want to give them equity, but at least he can put together a proper ownership structure?

I feel the little guys putting in $25 each is good because it spreads the risk, but I feel this type of structure doesn't give Mark the weighted balance of encouragement and incentive he needs to make sure the money isn't wasted. What if soemthing goes wrong over the next two years and the $25 little guys are at risk of losing all their money? Who is going to come in to help Mark J then? Will it be some big investor who will get mark J to competely change the direction of the MMO? Why should the little guys be harmed then?

So, I sort of feel if he is going to do something and raise money from the small $25 guys then
    1) It should be much much smaller
    2) It should be much more concrete and not just a torrent of ideas. Mark J is experienced, surely he can put together a 6-10 page slideshow of what the mmo is.
    3) And it should involve some credible professionals. Maybe a law firm, accoutning firm to certify his projections. If Mark J has money he should put it to those guys.

I'm also interested in the return of Richard Garriott - but, im also waiting to see if he can really do a pure gfx update of the old UO without changing the gameplay.

Either way i wish them both the best of cap raising + gaming good fortune!
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

General Manager Reputation: 353

Quote Originally Posted by Imaword2 View Post
    Also, I feel your review is kinda like trying to make us feel bad that we arnt gonna back up a game that for most of us feels like bunch of hot air...
    There are so... SO many other games that are getting backers and pledgers and donators, but what those games have, is a bunch of guys who took the time to actually make a Tech Demo, a proof of concept...

Backers were invited into the Tech Demo last night on livestream. And yes I'm trying to make people feel bad. Not everyone as I get a lot of people aren't in a position to do anything. But some are.

I mean yea I agree with some things you posted... but im sorry... Camelot Unchained isnt going be this linchpin that will start this horrible ripple effect. If it gets its money, GREAT!, if it doesnt... Maybe they should make some demos and actually show people something... Then try again a second time...

The problem isn't that Camelot is going to be the cause of the Ripple Effect. It's that it's one of the few projects that had a chance of stopping it

In the meantime, I'll stick to pledging money to. Starcitizen, Shroud of the Avatar and Guns of Icarus: Adventure mode. All games that could be considered "Indie Titles".

Damn good projects as well. At least I know I'm talking to someone with good taste.
    @xDrac keep waiting on your shiny treadmill.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Stop being a dirty hobo and pay the cheap monthly sub. - FarmerM

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 50

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    @xDrac keep waiting on your shiny treadmill.
    Can't take criticism and respect other people's opinions, huh?
    Last edited by xDrac; 04-27-2013 at 03:29 PM.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

i just wanted to keep encouraging onrpg, Dizzy and Mark Jacobs.

I REALLY do feel a good sequel to DAOC will arrive. mark is a great candidate to do it.
    I also feel onrpg, the mmo community and forums and their enthusiasm and resources are a fabulous and really credible way of raising money and getting projects going.

So, I don't think Mark should stop here. I think he should go on and continue to develop DAOC 2. Those ideas he has, and that Dizzy has, are all good. Just put it together and keep polishing it until it becomes credible. Then more money will flow and he will get his goal.

(ps - as im biased, it would have to be a good solid product to outshine Regnum for me. It also has to have a particular flavour to make me switch out of regnum. For example, maybe a look and feel like Torchlight cud work, tho i am not sure).
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

EVERYTHING is craftable? Crafting-class with turrets? And the guy talking is adding his own $2 million to the Kickstarter. I'd love to see what happens.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.