Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Guild Leadership - A Discussion

  1. #1
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,687
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Guild Leadership - A Discussion

    So, I am the guild leader of Amitabha in Age of Wushu. It was an accidental thing. I needed a group of people to play with and didn't find one that suited my needs fast enough, so I created one. At first it started slow and I figured it would be a throw-away thing. Now I have a website, mumble server, a strong group of core members and 90 members with an average of 20-25 people online. I understand those numbers will fluctuate significantly as the server progresses and as people learn the game is not for them, quit, etc...

    I have decided that I will be making Amitabha into a multi-gaming community sometime in the future (IE when another game catches my interest I will be leaving Amitabha within Age of Wushu to someone else and possibly re-create it in another game. All of us sharing the same website, forum, and mumble or TS).


    What I want to know is: What do you expect from a guild? A Gaming community? What makes you more likely to enjoy your time when playing with a guild? Have you ever run a guild? Any tips? Etc.... Generally just a general discussion on general guild leadership.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  2. #2
    Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 32
    Igneius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MMO heaven :3
    Posts
    549
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    What I want to know is: What do you expect from a guild? A Gaming community? What makes you more likely to enjoy your time when playing with a guild? Have you ever run a guild? Any tips? Etc.... Generally just a general discussion on general guild leadership.
    What do I expect from a guild:Help and wisdom from the more experienced players.I have joined guilds that simply talk all day about cookies and instead of answering a question from a new player they choose to ignore it and leave that player in the dark.It is quite annoying to both witness and go through.

    What makes you more likely to enjoy your time playing with a guild:I have always loved guild based events.Such as pvp tournaments for either in game prizes or cash.Also the conversations that are had while doing a dungeon...no one likes a silent party.

    Have you ever run a guild:I used to run a guild named "Aegis" which branched out from Mu Online to other games.We used to have a nice website but due to the inability of one of the guild leaders as well as the drama provided by them this ended roughly a year in...

    Any tips:If you spot a drama mama kick them out immediately!No ands ifs or buts about it.They are a plague that will ultimately wind up either destroying what you are trying to accomplish or taking a nice chunk of your guild members with them once they decide to leave by offering a better guild or whatever.I've seen it happen before it is quite sad and annoying...

    Good luck on your multi-gaming community!

  3. #3
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,687
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Igneius View Post
    What do I expect from a guild:Help and wisdom from the more experienced players.I have joined guilds that simply talk all day about cookies and instead of answering a question from a new player they choose to ignore it and leave that player in the dark.It is quite annoying to both witness and go through.

    What makes you more likely to enjoy your time playing with a guild:I have always loved guild based events.Such as pvp tournaments for either in game prizes or cash.Also the conversations that are had while doing a dungeon...no one likes a silent party.

    Have you ever run a guild:I used to run a guild named "Aegis" which branched out from Mu Online to other games.We used to have a nice website but due to the inability of one of the guild leaders as well as the drama provided by them this ended roughly a year in...

    Any tips:If you spot a drama mama kick them out immediately!No ands ifs or buts about it.They are a plague that will ultimately wind up either destroying what you are trying to accomplish or taking a nice chunk of your guild members with them once they decide to leave by offering a better guild or whatever.I've seen it happen before it is quite sad and annoying...

    Good luck on your multi-gaming community!

    Thank you for the feedback. I feel that I accomplish most, if not all, of what you have said (at least so far still young and plenty of time to screw up).

    For the first item, I create help guides(both written and video), do live streams where I answer questions and give tips, and answer questions constantly for both members and non-members. We even have a decent number (that is growing) of private guides that only those that join can access. That's one of the incentives of joining. How do you feel about that?


    The second item, I know what you mean about events. Right now we do this daily: Script Stealing/Protecting event together, then immediately after we do large "Guild Escorts" event which usually has 15-20 people participating, then we split off and do instances. Of course, on Friday and Saturday we do the School Wars event together, and Sunday everyone that is at a decent level participates in the school tournaments. We also do dueling together but haven't set any time for that specifically. I've been thinking about a PVP tournament with a rare script/flying skill as a reward, though.

    I and the rest of the leadership are also currently in the processes of creating a sort of DPK system that isn't reliant on instance-running only, too. Do you guys like guild-run reward systems?


    As for your tip, I've already had to do that twice. Which was hard as I am the kind of guy that gives people the benefit of the doubt. I gave both a second chance and both failed that chance and are now out for good and not welcome back.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Reputation: 208
    Arri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,730
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I come from CoH, so my ideas of a guild probably differ from a lot of people.

    What I look for in a guild is a community of players who are all willing to work together and help each other. Level shouldn't influence what someone will or won't do, because that just segregates the guild into the high levels that don't acknowledge the existence of the low levels and the low levels who want to become high level so they can actually interact with the rest of their guild.

    Guild events are nice and everything, but I don't like it when they become mandatory and forced. I am in no way a raider, so any type of event that demands you be there on a certain day at a certain time and if you don't show up you get the boot will just make me reconsider.

    There's always going to be differences between members who have been there since day one and members who just joined, but that shouldn't mean cliques should form. In fact, it's my belief that if a clique forms within a guild, it's already dead.


  5. #5
    Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80
    ASNZern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,815
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Attitude of the guild.
    What the guild stands for.
    Activity of the guild members.
    Knowledge of the guild.

    One thing thou, as you move into a Multi-gaming clan, you don't need to run everything by yourself.
    I have run my own small guild in Ragnarok Online back in the day, and I have been a part of a multi gaming clan for the last 7 yrs (same one clan for 7 yrs long). The way it works is, anyone, with experience, can expand the guild into new MMORPG by grabbing a few members to help and recruit more from the game. Obviously quality control is important !
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

  6. #6
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,164
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    My advice is too pessimistic, coming from personal leadership experience. Just try socializing with different people in the guild.

  7. #7
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 34
    AngelTales's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,476
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    "Have every single person connected/engaged!!"
    Yes one sentence that summarizes what a good guild should be.

    I am not a big fan of big guilds in general, as it's much much harder to have everyone on the same page. Not saying it is impossible, but the leader and the cores have to work much harder to keep everyone connected. Drama? Quarrel between members? Tbh wouldn't even happen if the group is tightly knit. However if a drama is at play, I disagree with simply kicking whoever out - that's not a solution, it's simply running away. Again "connected" is key, if everyone wants to kick - obvious solution there...

    What I look for when joining a guild?
    Don't hate me for this - I look for how CONNECTED the guild is within and to me. Say it definitely feels welcoming when members greet me when I come online, and since I like that feeling I do ofc do the same when others come online (just an example, only small guilds can really pull this off). I have been soloing or dueting with static partners for quite a few years now, but if I join a guild and my solo/duet gameplay is still as is ... I would question why I joined this guild, especially at end game and forced pvp/battleground type games.

    Have you ever run a guild?
    Yes, couple years back I use to run quite a few OnRPG foreign game guilds and couple English just release type of game for OnRPG as well. Tbh people on this forum are pretty easy going and friendly or obvious trolls, no major issues besides the active thing, which I have no comment as I am one myself as well (SORRY ).
    Then I joined up at Loli aka Steparu.com, small very tight guild, there were no members, just Steparu and bunch of cores. It's not an active searching for member kind of guild, as we mostly play with each other, but occasionally we do pick up randoms and get new recruits and eventually new cores or via friend invites. At the beginning at least, the guild is now completely different.
    The last guild I created /slash gathered is Requiem (O Genesis (C in Fantasy Earth Zero, my ign was Tales if anyone is wondering ... couple unexpected drama near the end and I found out I am not a good leader, one single event took place against my repeated "request"(.../order, I went to bed/sleeping when the event took place) and I stopped caring and left myself, very irresponsible.

    Tips ... I was a cruel, bad leader, no tips =( gl bb /runs away

    Off topic: anyone starting any intere ... any games I might be interested? Actually at this moment I am willing to give anything a shot ... no orc/ugly character only games please ... I am very bored >""<
    Last edited by AngelTales; 05-03-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    Upcoming:
    [NA] Black Desert - Tsukito,
    [Valkyrie] TBD
    [Ranger] Hamaya
    [Plum] TBD

  8. #8
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,687
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelTales View Post
    "Have every single person connected/engaged!!"
    Yes one sentence that summarizes what a good guild should be.

    I am not a big fan of big guilds in general, as it's much much harder to have everyone on the same page. Not saying it is impossible, but the leader and the cores have to work much harder to keep everyone connected. Drama? Quarrel between members? Tbh wouldn't even happen if the group is tightly knit. However if a drama is at play, I disagree with simply kicking whoever out - that's not a solution, it's simply running away. Again "connected" is key, if everyone wants to kick - obvious solution there...

    What I look for when joining a guild?
    Don't hate me for this - I look for how CONNECTED the guild is within and to me. Say it definitely feels welcoming when members greet me when I come online, and since I like that feeling I do ofc do the same when others come online (just an example, only small guilds can really pull this off). I have been soloing or dueting with static partners for quite a few years now, but if I join a guild and my solo/duet gameplay is still as is ... I would question why I joined this guild, especially at end game and forced pvp/battleground type games.

    Have you ever run a guild?
    Yes, couple years back I use to run quite a few OnRPG foreign game guilds and couple English just release type of game for OnRPG as well. Tbh people on this forum are pretty easy going and friendly or obvious trolls, no major issues besides the active thing, which I have no comment as I am one myself as well (SORRY ).
    Then I joined up at Loli aka Steparu.com, small very tight guild, there were no members, just Steparu and bunch of cores. It's not an active searching for member kind of guild, as we mostly play with each other, but occasionally we do pick up randoms and get new recruits and eventually new cores or via friend invites. At the beginning at least, the guild is now completely different.
    The last guild I created /slash gathered is Requiem (O Genesis (C in Fantasy Earth Zero, my ign was Tales if anyone is wondering ... couple unexpected drama near the end and I found out I am not a good leader, one single event took place against my repeated "request"(.../order, I went to bed/sleeping when the event took place) and I stopped caring and left myself, very irresponsible.

    Tips ... I was a cruel, bad leader, no tips =( gl bb /runs away

    Off topic: anyone starting any intere ... any games I might be interested? Actually at this moment I am willing to give anything a shot ... no orc/ugly character only games please ... I am very bored >""<

    Age of Wushu?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  9. #9
    Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 156
    ZormaX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    3,573
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    First off, congratz on a successful guild. I realize that you are having quite a time in Age of Wushu. I went on the website to read its mechanics but did not completely understand its sandbox concept. (Enlighten me on this game if possible).

    As for this thread, one of the best guild experiences I had was in World of Warcraft and Conquer Online. In both cases, what made it truly great was the effort of the guild leader. As the guild leader, you should not only encourage chat on a teamspeak server but also in game chat so new joining members can see that the guild is active.

    Also, I feel like as a guild leader, you should/will have to work harder than others. By this I mean guild leaders should not only be devoting time/effort towards their character but also towards the guild. For example, if you don't take initiative putting money in the guild bank, nobody else will either.

    Lastly, I think a great way to get the guild together as a 'community' is to hold guild events (with rewards). If somebody shows continued loyalty towards the guild over an extended period of time, he/she should be given the benefit of that (such as a promotion).

    Pretty simple things I'm sure you know already but these simple things made for some of the most memorable gaming experiences (with MMOs)

  10. #10
    Cingal's Collar Reputation: 51
    Imperidal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I used to be a guild leader in my current guild. We've been in many MMOs and still running active since 2008/2009.

    I skimmed through the wall of text from others replies and i think what major stuff need to be done is there.

    What can i say is, if youre planning to pursue a multi-gaming guild.. Its gonna be quite tough. But meh, if youre dedicated, itll work somehow


  11. #11
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,164
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZormaX View Post
    By this I mean guild leaders should not only be devoting time/effort towards their character but also towards the guild.
    Basically this.
    You end up spending 100% of your time sorting out drama and organizing events, and 0% of your time leveling-up your character. I quit my part-time job and still could not keep up with mediating through the player-drama... (This was in Dragon Nest, and I co-led a very competitive PvP-guild.)

  12. #12
    Game Journalist Reputation: 95
    Abubakr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,555
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I just look for a guild that is active, has experienced players and is willing to help out its members.

    Just wondering, how did you come up with the name? The name is the first thing I look for in a guild.

  13. #13
    Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 156
    ZormaX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    3,573
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Guild name:


  14. #14
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,687
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abubakr View Post
    I just look for a guild that is active, has experienced players and is willing to help out its members.

    Just wondering, how did you come up with the name? The name is the first thing I look for in a guild.
    Amitabha is the name of some Buddha or other. Supposed to be translated to Everlasting Light/Soul/stuff like that. It's commonly used as a sort of greetings and chant in certain sects of Buddhism. Kinda like how Christians might say, "Bless you." The Shaolin NPCs in the Shaolin area will also often say it when you pass them.

    It fits pretty well when you consider we were originally a Shaolin-focused guild and our guilds lore (which is near non-existant, admittedly) is that we are a sect of Shaolin that allows people from the outside to convert and still use the Kung Fu from their original school and even encourages its own Shaolin monks to learn the styles of other schools.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  15. #15
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422
    poeticas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12,093
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    decent website (gathering point for people from all the games that are being played by that community) , solid leadership , rules , a lot of gaming in many games , freedom for players to express their thoughts and suggestions which games to join and i would have many many more ;]
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

  16. #16
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 110
    Chiyeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    [x]What do you expect from a guild?
    Active and a tightly knitted members wherein the guild can stand on it's own w/ or w/o the Guild Leader

    [x]What makes you more likely to enjoy your time when playing with a guild
    The Members.
    convo on boring raids, competitive PvP, tips and other players I can trust my character w/

    [x] Have you ever run a guild? Any tips? Etc.... Generally just a general discussion on general guild leadership.
    IDK why but I always end up being the assistant guild leader / right hand master

    One of the best exp I've had on a guild was on a competitive guild for 2 years on MU Online - JediRULE
    I was in charge of 'Market' things, guild funds and events.

    We have a guild vault wherein we donate rare items / jewels. We have a list of all the set items needed by each member..and that guild vault will fund all the items we will need.

    I was in charge of buying and selling -- most of the Market Transactions
    The game community had this system that the Guild Leaders of the buyer / seller should be monitoring each transaction since it is a huge amount -- anti scam.

    We meet up on weekends and rent a whole cafe for Castle Siege that lasts 6 hours or held the event on a guild members place.
    The characters we were using on CS was coined as the 'Jedi Team' -- created and taken care of the core members, dressed up with the best equips (better than the ones we personally have for our characters) and the 'built' of each character was entirely for the purpose of the SIEGE.

    Basically the whole guild have the right on these 8 characters and the best members will pilot each 'Jedi Character'..




    I wish to relive this experience.


    DrHime |MsNakita
    SD Gundam - League of Legends (PH) - Grand Chase


  17. #17
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,687
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiyeon View Post
    [x]What do you expect from a guild?
    Active and a tightly knitted members wherein the guild can stand on it's own w/ or w/o the Guild Leader

    [x]What makes you more likely to enjoy your time when playing with a guild
    The Members.
    convo on boring raids, competitive PvP, tips and other players I can trust my character w/

    [x] Have you ever run a guild? Any tips? Etc.... Generally just a general discussion on general guild leadership.
    IDK why but I always end up being the assistant guild leader / right hand master

    One of the best exp I've had on a guild was on a competitive guild for 2 years on MU Online - JediRULE
    I was in charge of 'Market' things, guild funds and events.

    We have a guild vault wherein we donate rare items / jewels. We have a list of all the set items needed by each member..and that guild vault will fund all the items we will need.

    I was in charge of buying and selling -- most of the Market Transactions
    The game community had this system that the Guild Leaders of the buyer / seller should be monitoring each transaction since it is a huge amount -- anti scam.

    We meet up on weekends and rent a whole cafe for Castle Siege that lasts 6 hours or held the event on a guild members place.
    The characters we were using on CS was coined as the 'Jedi Team' -- created and taken care of the core members, dressed up with the best equips (better than the ones we personally have for our characters) and the 'built' of each character was entirely for the purpose of the SIEGE.

    Basically the whole guild have the right on these 8 characters and the best members will pilot each 'Jedi Character'..




    I wish to relive this experience.
    So you all lived near each other? That's pretty neat. Always had an interest of doing something similar to that - creating a guild of locals.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  18. #18
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 110
    Chiyeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    So you all lived near each other? That's pretty neat. Always had an interest of doing something similar to that - creating a guild of locals.
    Hmm.. not really near.. rather living on the same country..


    DrHime |MsNakita
    SD Gundam - League of Legends (PH) - Grand Chase


  19. #19
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,687
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiyeon View Post
    Hmm.. not really near.. rather living on the same country..
    Wish that worked in America ;-; Maybe same state. But even then it can be hours and hours of driving between cities in one state.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  20. #20
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 110
    Chiyeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    | (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Wish that worked in America ;-; Maybe same state. But even then it can be hours and hours of driving between cities in one state.
    that's the same here too.. The siege is scheduled over the weekends - once a week - Saturdays, so we all make time for that.. sometimes we spend over nights (but I was too young back then -- so I wasn't allowed ;__; )
    Last edited by Chiyeon; 05-06-2013 at 11:02 PM.


    DrHime |MsNakita
    SD Gundam - League of Legends (PH) - Grand Chase


  21. #21
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 31
    Tyrfing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,276
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Multi-gaming community clan usually fails miserably. Worse case scenario, it ruins both the origin and the new.
    No substitute for the king.
    Hilarious. I lost.

  22. #22
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,164
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiyeon View Post
    Basically the whole guild have the right on these 8 characters and the best members will pilot each 'Jedi Character'..
    I recall that you can be a turret-gunner in Subspace Continuum. Every weekend the mods would host an event and sometimes you'd get 15 turret-gunners on one spaceship shooting at another 15 turret-gunners on two spaceships that were whizzing past each other trying to dodge the gunners.

  23. #23
    Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10
    utero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    What do you expect from a guild? A Gaming community?
    Helping and sharing each other’s opinion. Giving tips to new players and trusting each other.

    What makes you more likely to enjoy your time when playing with a guild?

    Guild members, Raid runs and organized pvp where our members know each role of their class.
    I also make real friends with my guild that results us seeing each other in real life like going to party, bars or celebrating birthdays.

    Have you ever run a guild?

    I became a guild leader in 2 games and I am very strict to my members. For example, if our members are not doing their guild quest, I would kick them in the guild even they are strong. I don’t care how strong they are as long as they are following the guild rules. I prioritize gearing my guild mates first before gearing my character. There is an instance that my members are stronger than my character since they have better gears. There is also an instance that we had a scheduled boss raid but one of our mage is late for 5 minutes so I cancelled the raid. Everybody is begging me to start the raid but I cancelled it. I told them that it is not my fault for cancelling the raid, blame your late mage. After that incident, they are on a head time regrouping at raid. Even some players criticize my decisions, our guild resulted as one of the elite guilds =).

    "There is no such thing as an appropriate joke. That's why it's a joke."

    -Michael Scott

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •