Looking For - Adventure MMO Action Game

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 15

Question Looking For - Adventure MMO Action Game

Hi All,

I'm interested in finding a mmo that fits the following criteria:

(1) Adventure/Action Game: I'm looking for an adventure game with combat set in an action type setting.

(2) World with Progressive, Unlockable content: I want to be able to potentially explore the whole world as a new player (however realistically I would not be able to complete all zones due to a lack of gear).

(3) Tools > Leveling: I want a game with more of a focus on using tools to unlock areas. I don't want a game big on leveling as a way to improve. For this criteria #3, I am thinking of games I have already played and enjoyed, such as the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Terrarria.

(4) Moderate to Large size: A medium sized world seems best. I would like a game that takes 300+ hours to complete.

(5) Multiplayer Features: Ideally I prefer a multiplayer game BUT I don't want to be penalized for playing solo (if a mmo has instances, I want to be able to solo them).

(6) No permadeath Mediumcore where some penalties on death occur is preferred. Resurrection sickness is ideal.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

IMT

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 185

Nice post. You put what you wanted and formatted the text

Guild Wars 1 focuses a lot on (2) - unlockable content. I am not sure how much of it is soloable content. Res sickness exists. It sounds like you are coming from Guild Wars 1 though - lol...

Dragon Nest has unlockable content - all of which can be soloed (solo'd?). Earth Eternal used to be pretty good in the beta where its entire community was roleplayers from text-based games since it was by the developers of Iron Realms... Except then they got bought-out and 'Facebook'icized :/ I would not touch Earth Eternal now (not to be confused with Eden Eternal)!

I guess... World of Warcraft. LOL

You like OoT and Terraria? Ohkay... Feyna's Quest and ... What was it?? OMG I TOTALLY FORGET NOW. But yeah. Those two. I reformatted my hard drive. I can't find it. But try CAVE STORY.

Braid has some puzzles. Actually there are a TON of puzzle-based games on Steam. Go check some out.

What was that thing being hyped a few months ago? ... Don't Starve.

I'm not very good at puzzle games. So just play Cave Story and World of Warcraft

Also - if you have the expansion pack for the N64 then I recommend Majora's Mask :P Windwaker and Twilight Princess are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Nice post. You put what you wanted and formatted the text

Guild Wars 1 focuses a lot on (2) - unlockable content. I am not sure how much of it is soloable content. Res sickness exists. It sounds like you are coming from Guild Wars 1 though - lol...

Dragon Nest has unlockable content - all of which can be soloed (solo'd?). Earth Eternal used to be pretty good in the beta where its entire community was roleplayers from text-based games since it was by the developers of Iron Realms... Except then they got bought-out and 'Facebook'icized :/ I would not touch Earth Eternal now (not to be confused with Eden Eternal)!

I guess... World of Warcraft. LOL

You like OoT and Terraria? Ohkay... Feyna's Quest and ... What was it?? OMG I TOTALLY FORGET NOW. But yeah. Those two. I reformatted my hard drive. I can't find it. But try CAVE STORY.

Braid has some puzzles. Actually there are a TON of puzzle-based games on Steam. Go check some out.

What was that thing being hyped a few months ago? ... Don't Starve.

I'm not very good at puzzle games. So just play Cave Story and World of Warcraft

Also - if you have the expansion pack for the N64 then I recommend Majora's Mask :P Windwaker and Twilight Princess are good too!
    Ooo thank you for the helpful and informative post. You've included lots of really helpful input - thank you.

- I am not coming from Guild Wars 1, but am an ex-WoW player (stopped at the Wrath of the Lich King expansion). I prefer the actiony combat in Guild Wars 1 and 2. The main issue with WoW is that it is too big for me (lots of content and updates are awesome, but I tend not to keep up in the way I would like and feel left out). Dragon's Next never clicked for me. GW2 is high on my list of considerations.

- Cave Story is a yes for me, I haven't gotten around to it and it looks like a really good fit.

- Don't Starve does have fantastic, astonishing artwork and great style. It triggered my intuitive sense that something isn't right. A bit more digging found that it's permadeath, so that's an initial turnoff. The main issue I could see is with the scale of difficulty and resource management objectives (one review wrote "Unfortunately, it feels like [the dev] spent more time dreaming up ways to make the game hard than ways to make it fun.) While I don't think it's fair to judge without playing the game, I do think the game will trigger some negatives for me that will make it more frustrating than enjoyable. The game is refreshing in many ways, so I will look at it again in a few months.

- Hehehe I checked out the Zelda wiki . . . wow the developers/game companies stayed busy. I've only played Ocarina and Link's Awakening! But I'll check out Cave Story and delve a bit more into Terraria first.

Thank you greatly for the informative and helpful reply. I appreciate it.

IMT
    Last edited by IcedMinttea; 05-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

I dunno, I find Dragon Nest and Guild Wars to actually be games with fairly little content compared to other MMORPGs, so if you find even that too much, I can't really think of anything other than maybe small indie MORPGs but those aren't action at all. Also doesn't your original request intentionally request something large?

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I dunno, I find Dragon Nest and Guild Wars to actually be games with fairly little content compared to other MMORPGs, so if you find even that too much, I can't really think of anything other than maybe small indie MORPGs but those aren't action at all. Also doesn't your original request intentionally request something large?
    Edited second post for clarity. Original asks for medium - large world, 300+ hours. I typed so much I forgot to fill in my thoughts in my second post. GW is a good size.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

On a sidenote, it's not really action, but ever tried The Secret World? It's a pretty amazing game with a strong exploration part and you can basically go anywhere right at the start if you have the gear. It has no leveling either, just getting skill points and weapon mastery points.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 86

i also think he should look at The Secret World. Buy to play, really good and innovative content- completely new Call of Cthluthu style atmosphere. actually, i like to hear from players who play this game.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif