Thread: What an obnoxious trend! (Automated everything in a lot of new browser games)

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 131
    FINE Arkansas, are you happy that I'm being honest?

Default What an obnoxious trend! (Automated everything in a lot of new browser games)

Sometimes I see a cutesy browser game being advertised and I think, "Okay, I'ma give that a try and see what I think."
    Then I find that I can't do ANYTHING myself except perhaps press enter or something like that to get a conversation with an npc going.
    EVERYTHING is automated!
    Why is this considered fun?!

I'm just curious, does anybody happen to know how this started?

General Manager Reputation: 526

Even the game developers think their game is boring and put in extra effort to save you the suffering of having to play it.

Rather than the effort to make the game more interesting to play. Yes it is quite the baffling trend.
    I’d rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Girls dont even look up [anymore], I feel like they're brainless zombies controlled by their iphones. - Abhorsen

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Battleborn, Herowarz
    History: Stardew Valley, Blade & Soul, Elsword, Dragon Ball Xenoverse FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 22

This has actually been driving me crazy over the last week or so. I love my normal games to death but sometimes I just want a break, I figured browser MMO's would be a nice break, but most of the time you just click whatever is highlighted in the quest and your character walks there, kills the mobs, comes back, all on its own. Most of the time the combat is even 100% automated, you just select which skills your character will use automatically. The ones that aren't automated are basically time sinks like the swarm of 'Ville games or PvP kingdom fests like the million and one Evony clones.

I think I've burned through about two dozen of them in the last couple days, good browser MMO's don't seem to exist. Heck, good time wasters don't even seem to exist anymore, at least not ones with persistence to them.

Well, I'm sure good ones do exist, but I haven't found any yet.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

I don't understand this crap either. If you have to put automated bots in your game just to level up for you, then why not just decrease the level grind or perhaps.. make the game fun.
    Relax and enjoy life

Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

I'm not sure about all the other automation but I do like auto-walking to my quests or auto-tracking them. Not exactly a fan of traveling in games and find this kind of automation to be for the better than for the worse.

There are several games that lack automation just have to find them :P.
    Pride is a wonderful trait.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnoh View Post
    I'm not sure about all the other automation but I do like auto-walking to my quests or auto-tracking them. Not exactly a fan of traveling in games and find this kind of automation to be for the better than for the worse.
    ^ this, but i think they are talking about automated everything from looting, to walking, to combat.
    Call me Red

---------------Currently Playing------------------
    -Vindictus (West)
    -Mabinogi (Mari)
    -Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 168

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    Sometimes I see a cutesy browser game being advertised and I think, "Okay, I'ma give that a try and see what I think."
    Then I find that I can't do ANYTHING myself except perhaps press enter or something like that to get a conversation with an npc going.
    EVERYTHING is automated!
    Why is this considered fun?!

I'm just curious, does anybody happen to know how this started?
    I'm actually a huge fan of the simulated browser game genre. I honestly do not believe there are enough of them. They are a ton of fun. I absolutely love Minitroopers (the forums have rankings and tournaments), I used to like MyBrute a lot as well. The company Muxxu/twinoid has made the best games for this genre of games. Die tonight is very well done. Monsterbowl was my all time favourite. RIP Monsterbowl, I still miss it.

So yeah, there is a pretty good backing behind these types of games. It's because they don't take up more than an hour of your time daily. So you can do it anywhere, every day, and feel relaxed and happy at your growth. You don't need to dedicate nothing; and can even do several of them at one time, and make as many characters/accounts as you like.
    Me, Me, Me, GF |&| Me! D;!

RIP the Dawngates : (

You can join my Minitroopers army!

Don't you dare quote me!

Don't you dare Rep me neither!

I don't want your petty influences upon my soul!

Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 94

I feel this way every time I look for a TCG in Google Play and have to wade through tons of garbage where you "collect, craft, fuse!" cards and the game just boils down to watching autobattles between the cards and hitting the adventure button and waiting to see what rewards you get.
    »Games & IGN«
    Wurm Online » Leviathan
    FFTA2
    »Last updated May 31 2010«

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257

I actually prefer fully-automated combat, or combat where I only have to choose what to summon (e.g. cardgames or heroes that follow your computer-code instructions).

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    Even the game developers think their game is boring and put in extra effort to save you the suffering of having to play it.
    LOL

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 91

I think the reason is people still view browser based games "casual" only.

Unfortunately, devs see "casual" and assume the very extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.

Sonic’s Milkshake Reputation: 10

i think they were just trying to make the game noob friendly
    it's just that it became stupid friendly that you can play it
    without even looking or paying 100% attention to it ~_~

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 110

I dont know either, Im confused if clicking the NPC and pressing ok is playing or can even be considered as one..

the only browser games I loved:
    PET FOREST - Turned based RPG with cute pets. Pokemonish

BACKYARD MONSTER - Strategy

DrHime |MsNakita
    SD Gundam - League of Legends (PH) - Grand Chase