Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 18.75%
  • no

13 81.25%
    Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 235

Default do you think art has to be negative? and why

not that I think there's anything wrong with negativity. quite the opposite. I want to collectively punch the faces of all the people in our culture (ie. the people behind CNN) who feel that not offending anyone ever is the greatest virtue and that partisanship and actually arguing opinions are terrible things that should be avoided. so, as paradoxical as it might sound, I think negativity is often a good thing.

art is in this instance defined as "a creation intended by its creator to be art that puts an entirely new idea/way of thinking/avenue of thought/new facet of an idea etc. into your mind", if that makes sense.

what brought this on was that I was thinking on how older, successful musicians usually cease to make interesting work, or at least make less interesting work, once they become happy and successful. By contrast, musicians who do not achieve major success ie. Michael Gira of Swans, are able to go on making interesting music into their sixties.

Also, the more difficult and alienating someone's art is to the masses, the better it is, apparently.

these are obviously generalizations, but ones that seem to me to be true for the most part.

Do you think art has to be negative? or is it possible for art to be positive? and back up your reasoning.
    Last edited by postrook; 05-28-2013 at 03:52 AM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 504
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

I think saying "art has to be ___________" is always wrong.

I agree with you in principle, as art is about challenging peoples perceptions about everything. but it seems to me that the serious artists whose works are considered important usually had what would be considered extremely dark ideas to impart. whereas people making "fun" music, pictures, books and so on are not considered to be artists.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 547

Art has to be provoctive. Being positive can also achieve that.

People might argue that art can be everything, but imo it cant be common. If its something common its just craftfull not art.
    That this makes art generally provocative comes from the combination of being uncommon and relevant. This is the same as innovation always being disruptive, to put it into new-age slang terms.
    Its negative towards the status quo. That might just be a good thing.

In a sense positive/negativ fits, but it is easily misunderstood. Art isn't good or evil, just like any form of change can be evil but doesnt have to be.
    Last edited by Ronin; 05-28-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Stay frosty.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

No, a BIG NO! I personally love the arts.

Ride em’ Yoshi Reputation: 53

From my understanding, quite a few very talented artists tend to be mentally ill, thus negativity or seemingly negative imagery. Such as major depression, bipolar, schizo, etc. Something about mental illness brings out creativity for some reason. THis isnt a catch all but seems to be the case for quite a few.

But also something about dark art is more intriguing. Makes me think more about what was goin on with the person more so than someone drawing rolling hills.

To me everyone is always about the positive. Don't think negative, be happy. Throwing on masks to hide the pain and darkness. Rarely do I hear people talking about the hardships, pain, darkness in their lives, whats actually going on in their heads. It's always some mask talking bout everything being fine, giving a persona of perfection. Its a breath of fresh air, I suppose, to see the real person, the pain and darkness coming out. Kinda a **** you to society to me. Keepin it real.
    Last edited by Rebuzzal; 05-28-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”

it's interesting that you voted "no", then. :]

reading this thread the morning after, I think what I was really trying to do was challenge the perception that "negativity" is a bad thing. our society pushes on you the idea that you should suck it up, not talk about negative things, and pretend to be happy, because no one wants to be around whiny, negative people, right? you should put a smile on your face and go buy something to cheer you up.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Well... Art is certianly getting depressing if they consider this "art".

You lazy ass. - Bunzz

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 185

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuzzal View Post
    From my understanding, quite a few very talented artists tend to be mentally ill, thus negativity or seemingly negative imagery. Such as major depression, bipolar, schizo, etc. Something about mental illness brings out creativity for some reason.
    I am sure that majorly depressed people or people with schizophrenia have thought deeper about the purpose of life than more "normal" people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by a deficit of typical emotional responses.[1] Common symptoms include auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking,
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix23
    Beatrix23 emotions will only make you play worse.
    Someone who controls there emotions, while also having beliefs in God which atheists consider "delusional" could be categorized as having schizophrenia? Just because someone isn't a hardcore enthusiast of their culture and role in society does not mean that their brain is disfunctional. I happen to shutdown my emotions because I feel they mess with my objectivity, but if someone spends their time trying to provoke a "typical emotional response" and if I respond objectively then I have schizophrenia??? Mental diseases are identified from the reference point of society and I don't think society is omniperfect.

Why would you even say that art is negative? When I told a close friend that she was contradicting what she told me previously she said I was being resentful. When I told another close friend that the rules he was disappointed in me at for breaking had been well-hidden from me at the time I broke them, and that my first friend was crushing my will by trying to convince me that I was doing something wrong and then when I followed her logic, telling me that my problem was that I was not admitting to what I was doing wrong (having sexual relationships with a third friend, even though I've never touched her in my life) since I agreed with the logic and was therefore hiding a sexual relationship from her... When I explained this to my second friend then he told me I was being NEGATIVE, since he admired the first friend who was accusing me of sexual relationships which I did not do in the first place - regardless of whether my relationship with a third friend was good or bad from the reference point of the first friend.

If I see artwork that is negative then I am not interested. But when I see artwork about compulsory schooling or environmental degradation or divorce or mistakes or killing or getting fired from work or the zerg I don't necessarily see it as "negative" if it's done in a satirical, humorous, or thoughtful fashion... But apparently my friends see anything sex-related as "negative".

If artists do art as a hobby, then they are probably doing it for fun, and therefore view their own artwork as "positive".

TL;DR - Your poll question and your thread title are two different things: Art doesn't HAVE to be ANYTHING... When I read manga I'm reading it for the story and the characters - not to discern whether the art style is positive or negative!

Firor's Fury Reputation: 94

On the idea of negative, Pointing out the negatives can help transform into positives, just focusing on positives will only neglect the negatives which will probably do more bad than good. IMO mind you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast