Taken me 5+ Years, but it's finally done

Hybrid View

FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 70

Default Taken me 5+ Years, but it's finally done

An article I wrote (Today as of this thread opener date) about the types of guilds, types of people in MMOs and a review of some of the Publishers I've played:

http://iancarlson666.tumblr.com/post...nd-guild-types

Now I need to go find a coffin and bury myself. Biggest project I've ever done. I feel sad, happy, relieved and tired all at once thanks to me publishing it.
    Last edited by coldReactive; 01-28-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EQ Next, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

If you get kicked out of a hardcore guild for not committing to guild events, it's because you are not contributing to the guild's success, and being successful is the mission of a hardcore guild. If you wanted long-lasting friends then there are social guilds out there dedicated to promoting fun and friendship.

While I feel guilty about using pirated software, it's simply too convenient! The video editing/photo editing/screen recording software isn't going to punish you for pirating, and making a 2-minute Youtube video to explain a complex concept to everyone is my solution to leaders' frustration with "explaining something many times".

The terms "devolves" and "suck-up" are kind of negative. There are plenty of "suck-ups" who are nice people, and plenty - or at least a few - Multi-MMO Guilds which have strong leadership and maintain a good community atmosphere!

I always give away resources to guildmates under the assumption that at least 50% of what I distribute will never be given back to me or the guild. If I help someone and then they subsequently quit the game or my guild, then it's their choice.

I think "mob drops" are genius, and I could (combining it with four other exploits) make $5-10 an hour doing this on Entropia with buddies. But I would probably get banned for "exploiting", and dispersing money between fake accounts and non-involved players in order to throw-off the account bans is too complicated. If I wanted to killsteal as a living then it would be simpler just to go on the street and steal some chips from a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    The troll is a person who scours the community looking for people to easily piss off, bait into bad situations, etc.
    You dedicated an entire paragraph just to me? Thanks! Wouldn't "Analysts" naturally categorize other "Analysts" with opposing mindsets as "trolls"? I am also a "Suck-Up". But leaders' basic expectations require you to act like that if you don't want to get trolled

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    This type also can be labeled the "Mimic" of the types of individuals that exist. This person can become any type of individual they want, but often is a "Normal" person usually, while they analyze the community for what they desire in it. If they find the community is too harsh, trolly, etc. They often revert back to "Normal" type and stay silent on the forums, etc. once their job is completed. Sometimes, they will change usernames. This user will often look at guilds, their requirements before joining, rather than to straight up join any guild, even after they "Revert" back to normal.
    ... It's scary how well you understand us.

The scariest thing in life is understanding ourselves. Since our personalities and actions contradict our most important priorities all the time! We dismiss this as "mistakes" and subsequently blame "mistakes" on "others" who - if they are not at fault - we condemn using circular logic.

Everyone is a "Mimic" because that is how our brains learn and function imo. I have switched between so many different personalities in every game that I've played (I even have a different personality, and behave completely different according to which class I play in the same game) that I've completely forgotten the way I was three years ago.

Studying psychology objectively is frustrating - not because of the lack of interesting results - but because of the insignificance of human existence! (imo)
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Although not quite the response I expected, it's good to know there are people who understand the types we have today. I didn't want to sugar-coat this at all, so I used the negatives in-line.

Waiting On: EQ Next, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

P.S: Posting this because I removed my DevART Account)

Edit: Fun Fact, this is experience from 2006 and beyond. Please use it as a source if you need to. It's all original content based on experience. I feel tired, happy, sad and relieved now that I finally got to publish this.

I haven't been able to start something like this because I needed more time to look at the communities I've been to over the years. After all, I only [really] started the MMORPG life around 2007 when Angels Online went Open Beta. I'm here, today, writing up this narration, review, of MMORPG Communities. Those who don't know about the inside workings of these communities, will be a sad bunch when they find out the dark truth behind all the "glitz" and "show" that are the hardcore and "suck-up" guilds of each MMORPG. For those who have been playing MMORPGs for ages, may already know what I'm talking about, while others are forcing themselves to turn the other cheek with phrases like "I don't know what you're talking about ^^" or "That guild doesn't look like they would act like that, I don't know what the heck you're talking about." Among other annoying lines they pre-prepare in their heads in case someone like me tries to take down their vision of a perfectly stable community that their eyes and brain are making to cover up the dismal and dank truth. I will first start off with the various types of guilds before going onto the various types of individual players in the communities, as well as whole communities entirely.

First on the guild type list in this review, is the "hardcore" part of the community. I wanted to take this on first, but I was blinded by one once. I'm not going to try and name names here, but I have seen plenty of them. Hardcore guilds rush to the level cap, without any real drive to do so besides the standard stereotypical "We want to be the best." In truth, these guilds technically can be called "MMORPG Hopper" guilds. They often are the same group of people, and they go from MMORPG to MMORPG because they get to the end-game content too fast to care about the upcoming content that they'll be too bored to play because they're setting their "boredom" up by going too fast. This type of guild is also the type of guild that does NOT help people who are not in their guild. If they do, they often recruit that person immediately after, no questions asked; then causing that player to get "bored" by power leveling them to end-game content, and making them act the same way as they--the guild itself--did before. I suggest that players who go into a hardcore guild look at their requirements first, before taking on such a guild. If they require you sign up on their forums, they may force you to do some things you normally wouldn't expect to do in a guild. (Roll call, etc.) These guilds also borderline on the "Suck-up" guild type, as they try to get the attention of the entire community by posting things like "First to do X" or have a server-wide event that may or may not get GM-sponsership. The hardcore guild also tends to frown upon builds that don't meet their expectations of a certain class. For instance, if you play a normally "tank" class, they will often shun / scoff at you for building a DPS version of that class. (They will however, eventually find a way to include you in their guild, but they still won't be happy with it, and make your life a subtle hell.) Hardcore guilds will participate in PVP Events, and sometimes will even kick you without question or notice if you do not join in.

Second on the guild type list is the "Suck-Up" guild type. As I mentioned in the previous type, they can be considered borderline hardcore and vice versa. The "Suck-Up" type often tries to get to the level cap as soon as possible, but is a bit more lax on their members getting there. (Though they tend to subtly prod the lower members to attempt to get to the level cap asap. Especially healers and tank combinations.) When a Suck-up guild reaches the level cap with several of their staff... they often immediately try to get attention of the GMs, etc. by producing "Quality" fan-site content. Often, this content is pieced together by using pirated software (After Effects, Photoshop, etc.) and media packs provided by the publisher. if you try to prod into what software they use, they will often either say a free variant of the software they actually use, or just say they use the software, just without saying it's pirated until you start asking questions about the price of the software. Once you do open their "wounds" on any subject however, they swill start blowing it off with "cute" emoticons, etc. like "^^" and "" and "^_^" and others. This is often to cover up the fact they are trying to play "suck-up" to the publisher staff. Sometimes, these guilds crop up out of no where overnight as well. When this happens, it's often because the guild leader of a previously social guild gets recognized by the publisher staff, and this often devolves the guild into an MMORPG Hopper or known as a Multi-MMO Guild.

Third on the guild type list, is known as the "Family" or "Social" guilds. Depending on what type you get, these can be either REALLY bad, or REALLY good. it also is dependent on the individual people within the guild, and who was chosen as staff in the guild. The Family sub-type often has players who gather up in real life, taking photos of each other, going to -cons, etc. However, a simple slip up of a guild staff member may cause a breakdown of certain users' morality, etc. For instance, I was in a family guild, where, on their voice chat, I had an encounter with a dark side of one of the staff members. They said that if they had to explain something many times, even to different players, newbies so to speak, they couldn't take it. I will explain more about this type of individual person later, however. In a "Social" guild, they often are dependent on a large group of people, usually of various nationalities, etc. The social type also usually has either a small website, or a social site of sorts (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, etc.) In this type of guild, it is not uncommon to find hardcore people who will level up with that guild's resources just to leave the guild when they hit level cap to join a hardcore guild. This often is due to the guild's inability to be "Frontal" or "Aggressive" with keeping their members. Some members of a social guild will attempt to be "Aggressive", but often fail to do so, because of their social instability and being "Anti-Social" when they think they aren't. Social guilds sometimes have a small selection of voice chat users, while family guilds often have more voice chat users. Family guilds often don't have more than one nationality either within their ranks.

Fourth on the guild type list, is known as the "Normal" guild type. This guild type has people who band together for a similar cause, without the need of a website, voice chat, etc. Rather, the only place this type of guild has information posted on, is usually the MMO's own forums. This guild doesn't usually have anywhere near as many players as the other guilds do, and often never participates in PVP events due to the lack of size of their guild. This guild type can also be called the "Underdog" or "Turtle" in the old story of the rabbit and turtle racing. This guild often stays throughout the life of the MMORPG. I created this type of guild on Perfect World International, known as "Valkyria" and it still exists today without me there. This guild often has various nationalities. Those who don't speak English often have "friends" that do join with them, while they stay silent.

Fifth on the guild type list, is known as the "Troll" guild type. Now, I don't want to sound "Racist" here either, but I've seen this guild type the most in English-speaking MMORPGs with non-English guilds such as PP, BR, RUS, etc. This guild type often is silent, never speaking to anyone that attempts to speak with them, and if you try to keep speaking with them, they will often follow you about, silently adding you to their friend-list if they know that you don't get a notification to being added, and following you through each channel. They camp your mobs, they attempt to kill steal, and they generally make your day an annoyance. When you meet a guild like this, the best thing to do, is just go to a nearby NPC village, or non-aggro monster area, and just sit there for about 1-3 hours. The troll guild players often will stick around for more time than they need to. If your MMORPG has a "Mob bomb" or "mob drop" mechanism (Angels Online is an example) you should be careful with these guilds. They sometimes will Player Kill you with this mechanism if they feel like you aren't being trolled enough. (Angels Online staff have said that mob dropping/bombing is a bannable offense however.)

Sixth on the guild list is something most people may not know about at all. Due to its rapid degrading nature, and pure users. This type is called the Angelical Guild. Not to be outdone by its sister, the "Hardcore Guild." This guild type is a branch off of hardcore. This type of guild helps everyone, no matter how low level, no matter if they're in the guild or not. You need help, they have the help for you. They won't ask for in-game money, items, etc. They will just require your presence, peace of mind, etc. Due to their "hearts of gold", the guild often degrades back into a "Normal" type guild rather quickly, as they often don't care what users of the guild take from them, etc. Or if any guild members leave. This type of guild doesn't always have a website, nor usually boasts any kind of voice chat. The guild often seems to be like the "Normal" type in this regard, but always has a member that's willing to give everything to help others.

Now that I've gotten all the various guild types out of the way, I'd like to explain where I got most of this information from, and where I've experienced what guild type the most. The information above comes from sheer experience and observation of each guild I've come in contact with. it's hard to explain the methods I've used to do the research I did, so I will just say that it was just plain "watching" each guild, and public/world chat in every MMORPG, memorizing character names, etc. and seeing who is in what guild after while. The hardcore guild type is present in almost every single MMORPG, with the exception being MMORPGs with built-in botting systems. In this type of MMORPG, the hardcore guild that is there, is usually one that normally bots in other MMORPGs that has no bots, etc. This hardcore guild often becomes the suck-up, troll guild in the long run, and eventually dies with the MMORPG when it dies. However, the "Suck-up" guild type was only a recent type of guild I've experienced, mainly in WarpPortal and Aeria Games and Entertainment as well as some minor mentions in Guild Wars, WoW, etc. The "Troll" type of guild is present in all MMORPGs, regardless if it's a PVE-Only or PVP-Only MMORPG or if it has bots or not. The "Normal" type of guild is also present in all MMORPGs, new and old, mainly due to its survivability between leaders.

Before I get into the "Individuals" in the communities. I'f like to point out that this section has a lot of stereotypes involved. Please do take this into consideration before commenting on this section's content. The content in this section may also have links to my experience, for better understanding of what each person is capable of. Please do not troll the people in the links, or go find them to pick on them. This is not what I intended this article to be for. This article is merely informational.

The first type of individual that I have experienced in MMORPGs are the "Normal" players. These players are usually solo at first, or are in a guild that's "Normal" to the guild type system. Once they have experienced the MMORPG, and what they feel like they are, they often choose a more finite type of guild, type of individual. This is the one most people start out as, and eventually "Evolve" from.

The second type of individual that I have experienced is the "troll." There's no real explanation needed for this, but I will explain this anyway. The troll is a person who scours the community looking for people to easily piss off, bait into bad situations, etc. If the community has a shoutbox / chatbos, you can often find the troll lurking it while browsing the forums. No matter how many times you ban this person, they will come back with a new throw-away email of sorts. These users will sometimes create new accounts to re-troll some users. This type of individual can be mistaken for the "analyst" type.

The third type of "Individual" that I have experienced is the "Botter." This person is silent until they come back to check up on their individual drone characters. When they feel that they have been caught, they will run away, disconnect, etc. Until about an hour or two have passed before coming back to bot again (Usually on another channel.) These people often should be reported immediately to the publisher if they do not allow bot systems or automated macro systems. (Perfect World, Aeria Games, etc. do not allow third-party bots or third-party macro SOFTWARE.)

The fourth type of individual is the "Suck-up" type. This person often reports users immediately when they see that they have broken the rules. (Trolls will often do this as well.) This person however will play the "innocent" or "cute" person, often appearing like a lady-like person, or a "lady-boy" you could say. They use the emoticons mentioned earlier too. Much like the "Suck-Up" guild type, they try to make it their mission to get noticed by the GMs, etc. I have been known to be part of this type at some points, mainly to see the reactions of others to this type of person. generally, this type of person isn't too welcomed in communities that have lots of troll type users.

The fifth type of individual is the "Corrupt Staff" type. This type of person is a staff or volunteer of the publisher. They often try to get a role in the support ticket system, to block / close / flag as spam reports that target certain people that make their day better, etc. (Usually trolls.) This type of person can also be labeled as a "Staff Troll." Usually, they distance themselves with the other staff people, and are often silent, and never usually appear in-game or on the forums. They usually never reply to tickets with their own staff name, or game they come from, and often use other names instead. Publishers should make it their mission to force the username of that staff member to show next to their ticket replies to help deter this type of individual.

The sixth type is the user who prefers "Free speech." They will make it their mission to swear, put out their views, etc. To the community no matter what. They often are seen as trolls or "Suck-Ups" due to the stubborn-ness they hold. These users often attempt to bypass the swear filter. Often putting swears in their usernames, guild names, etc.

The Seventh type is the "Analyst" type. I'm part of this group as well. This type also can be labeled the "Mimic" of the types of individuals that exist. This person can become any type of individual they want, but often is a "Normal" person usually, while they analyze the community for what they desire in it. If they find the community is too harsh, trolly, etc. They often revert back to "Normal" type and stay silent on the forums, etc. once their job is completed. Sometimes, they will change usernames. This user will often look at guilds, their requirements before joining, rather than to straight up join any guild, even after they "Revert" back to normal.

The eighth type of person is a "Heart of Gold" or sometimes called an "Angel" or "White-Knight" (Good kind) etc. This type of player will go out of their way to help everyone and everything. They will constantly undercut themselves on auction markets, they will use the random party finder, go into PUGs, etc. They will always try to be on everyone's good side. They don't always chat, and they don't always use cute emoticons, etc. These players often can be mistaken for the "Normal" user. They often are seen in various guilds, trying to secure balance between everything and everyone. They are often first-responder reporters to goldseller, bots, etc. Sometimes, even camping major hubs for this reason.

The last section of this "review" is the actual review part of this article. This section contains what I think about each publisher's community. Some of the sections will contain terms above, and is why I had to put them out first before the actual review portion of this article. The below section, again, will contain information that may be harmful to some users that go to the communities, and WILL have links. This section also has critical information about the stability of publishers mentioned.

IGG (I Got Games) - This publisher was the first publisher I played multiple MMORPGs on. The publisher is located in China, and as such, their support team has hours not usually experienced in the United States. It was not hard to get support, usually, however. I wasn't on this Publisher long due to their dependence on cash shop / etc. The community was fairly calm, but there were some trolls floating about. I don't have much else to say about this publisher, but I would NOT recommend it.

GamesCampus - This publisher I did not stay long with either, due to most of their games not as enjoyable as I thought they would be. (Asda Story / 2.) Asda Story also had an Open PVP system later, and I'd prefer not to be forced into PVP situations. I did not participate in their community, only used their forums for support topics. I would not recommend them unless they got a better game line-up and were less cash shop dependent.

Outspark - This publisher I did not stay long with either, due to Fiesta being too hard on new players, and those who did not spend money to safely reinforce their gear. (+1 could destroy your gear if it failed, any quality of equipment.) The class change dungeon was hard on certain classes, such as the warrior class. It was a solo-only dungeon and was timed. I would not recommend this Publisher unless they got permanent cash shop costumes, houses, etc, and removed the whole +1 fail = destroy on even normal equipment (White name.)

Perfect World International - This publisher I stayed a medium amount of time with. I played a "Suck-up" type at some points with a player-run event. I also created my first real guild here called "Valkyria" with a normal guild type feel. I played Perfect World, Ether Saga (Bot system, quit due to it) and Forsaken World. The publisher has been trying to get its rating back up with the new game neverwitner, but is still brought down by their older games like Perfect World, which is in need of a total makeover in textures, etc and removal of the AFK Leveling system. I would recommend this Publisher.

Aeria Games and Entertainment - This publisher I stayed a medium amount of time with, and am still staying with during Lime Odyssey's rise to fame. This publisher has amazingly fast support, lots of staff, and a plethora of different games and partners. However, the community is quite troll-tastic, and I recommend anyone who is attempting to join this publisher, stay away from the chatbox / shoutbox they have on their forums unless it's for quick support reasons. There was a member who had a change of heart overnight. Used to be a swell guy, but now he runs a suck-up guild that is at the heart of "Fan" stuff. I would recommend this Publisher.

Nexon - This publisher has a backlog sky-high... some people have not had tickets replied to for over a year. They opted-out of BBB relations due to this. I would not recommend this publisher.

I had more publishers I've been to, but I haven't had enough experience with them to tell you what they are like. This concludes the review of Publishers I have been with, as well as a short article about various community types.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

nice post

im not sure what type of player i am. I will try my best to help some one if i can. I never ask for something in return.I am aslo not the much of the social type. I chat a little here and there. On rappelz there is a few on my friends list. One of them seems to want to chat everytime he is on. Which i do not mind. It would be very rude for me to ignore him. I dont like hardcore guilds at all. And if i find out i am in one i will leave. There is some trolls on this game. I try to avoid them. Most of them are in world chat. I dont understand why you would and get off to make another play unhappy. Im sure i am not a suck up but lol i use ^^ and so on sometimes. Its just a part of me i guess.About swear words. Only word i use is damn but meh i say that a lot even in real life on the forums i do post but not a lot.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 13

Looks cool!