Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Open World PvP MMORPGs

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 27

Default Best Open World PvP MMORPGs

So, what are some MMORPGs that you guys know that incorporate open world PvP? I love playing MMOs where there are criminal systems and people can see how many noobs you slaughtered and have incentive to come after you. It's endless fun.

Last Chaos
    TERA
    Conquer Online

Anything I'm missing?

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 17

Age of Wushu/Age of Wulin has that, you should give it a go

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 29

Aion? If you don't mind a good ole zerg.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 50

Good old Lineage 2

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235

Quote Originally Posted by cultist View Post
    Age of Wulin has that, you should give it a go, but avoid Age of Wushu at all costs
    fixed that for ya.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 76

my 1st mmorpg was Last chaos , i know what ur looking for ; )

Here is the List :

-Dekaron
    -Lineage 2
    -Silkroad( i dont recomande the Oficial)
    -Maybe Age of Wushu/Wulin( it had open world pvp but theres no Real PVP open zones with Active PVP spots,but it has the ability to pvp even in town
    -|Perfect world has that sort of PVP,but the game is known as P2W

Forum PvPer Reputation: 610

archeage .

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 132

Here's my list:

-Aion
    -Dekaron (2Moons)
    -Cabal
    -Perfect World
    -Jade Dynasty
    -Lineage 2
    -Silkroad

- Legend of Ares (Dead Now)
    - Rohan (Some Open World PvP)
    Current Games:

Overwatch (NA - PC)
    Battleborn (NA - PC)
    Kings and Heroes (Steam Early Access)

Waiting for:

No Man's Sky (PC)
    Chronicles of Elyria (PC)

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106

i dont play open world pvp mmos which give you any penalty for killing an enemy. i just prefer ones where i can
    go on a wanton mercilessly murderous rampage without any fear of penalty whatsoever.

so those ones wud be usually DAOC style ones like Aion, Aika and Champions of Regnum.
    But there are some further criteria i aim for :-
    1) the pvp must be decided by skill and not by the use of the cash shop or quantity of grinding grinding
    2) there must be minimal politicking in the realm syste (because it just creates bad feeling in the community)
    the only mmo which meets all the above criteria for me is Regnum.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 156

Great thread. I need to know good games like this too

EDIT: Heard TERA has no end game :/
    Last edited by ZormaX; 07-13-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Murxidon's Maid Reputation: 43

tibia << havent played in a while but I think it probably has best pvp system still
    darkfall full loot pvp
    conquer online
    path of exile cut throat (not released yet..... but some day that will be fun lol)

The game I am looking forward to is wild star. From the little I have read it sounds like it will be non carebearish but at the same time it seems like the makers are carebears trying to attract pvpers so probably will be carebear in the end :/

Heroes of Newerth - Powster
    Savage 2 - Powster
    Starcraft 2 - Powster.380 (Master Protoss/Zerg)
    Steam (CS:S, L4D2, TF2) - Powster

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

I actually enjoyed Aion's open world PvP a lot with my friends back in the day

Even though it was a zerg fest, you can still really contribute your party members even when your gear isn't top notch. Gawd, it was so exciting!

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Wushu sounds epic after some research. But may I ask, what's wrong with Wushu compared to Wulin?

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Wushu's support, cust**** service, and general running by Snail game sucks compared to Wulin.

Actually, scratch that, Wushu has ZERO support, cust**** service, control, etc. It'd be a better game if 10 year olds ran it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZormaX View Post
    Great thread. I need to know good games like this too

EDIT: Heard TERA has no end game :/
    forum chat says tera has really excellent action combat. but they say after you have run through all the quests/PvP arenas, it then just becomes repetitive. this is a bit odd because endgame has PvP arenas. it suggests that pvp is just not balanced and pvp combat is boring. that is really bad because you've invested all these months into a game and u have a dead toon.

Rift may be better but i googled "how is Rift's pvp" and everyone says Rift's pvp is bad. But, it is very popular so maybe it is not so bad. Rift isn't open world pvp but it has good battlezone pvp. Of all them, i consistently hear regnum has the best endgame pvp, and robably not as zergy as aion.

I would like to hear more about age of wulin + wushu too.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

Game Journalist Reputation: 484

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    Of all them, i consistently hear regnum has the best endgame pvp, and robably not as zergy as aion.
    Found that hilarious. You're the only one that ever brings up Regnum.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Hi Apoca! i'm one of your youtube subs, (TheEbonyStallion), I've asked you about Dragon's Prophet before.
    I know you play alot of Wushu, so could you clarify what has been said on this thread with your experience?
    Also, are you playing Dragon's Prophet? I'd love a mate to play with.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 14

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    forum chat says tera has really excellent action combat. but they say after you have run through all the quests/PvP arenas, it then just becomes repetitive. this is a bit odd because endgame has PvP arenas. it suggests that pvp is just not balanced and pvp combat is boring. that is really bad because you've invested all these months into a game and u have a dead toon.

Rift may be better but i googled "how is Rift's pvp" and everyone says Rift's pvp is bad. But, it is very popular so maybe it is not so bad. Rift isn't open world pvp but it has good battlezone pvp. Of all them, i consistently hear regnum has the best endgame pvp, and robably not as zergy as aion.

I would like to hear more about age of wulin + wushu too.

Rifts pvp is just as bad as tera, I eventually made it to 60, and there's not much to do but repetitive hunt rifts thousands of times for infinity stones/rep. Rift pvp is also determined which side has the best/most healers... healers in this game can keep up entire raids with aoe heal spam. Plus the PvP is mainly zerging, almost no strategy required. I wish there were some 5 v 5 warfronts.

Cash shoppers have it rather easy because most of the important stuff can just be flat out bought, while non cash shoppers have to grind dailies/ weeklys for infinity stones OR again, grind hunt rifts and get like 30 per rift, when you need THOUSANDS for most items.

I only made it to 60 because theres nothing else to play atm, waiting for pretty much anything at this point. I heard HeroesGo will be OB soon, sooooo I'm headed there when it hits OB.
    Currently playing :Grand Fantasia(yet again...)

IGN: Neclord

Lockhartís are forever Reputation: 36

Mortal Online - Full loot, freemium, open world, action combat. Can play free forever but limited by a few things, most notably skills can only be trained to 60/100. Can subscribe to remove the f2p limitations. You can kill or be killed by players anywhere, however cities have npc guards in them that can easily kill any player, they will attack and kill murderers or anyone committing a crime in the city, they can be called on people simply by saying "guards!" while aiming at the player.

Neocron 2 - Some looting, each death you drop a belt which has 1-5 of your items in it, a player would have to 'hack' the belt to take your items, this requires high hacking skill and a minigame has to be completed by them, taking up to 30 seconds. You and people in your party can open the belt instantly, without needing any hacking skill or having to complete a minigame. Completely f2p, no limitations and no cash shop or subscription options. Open world, action combat, can kill or be killed by players anywhere that lets you take out a weapon (pretty much the whole world except for faction hqs and a couple small areas where holding a weapon is not possible.)

Mortal Online site: http://www.mortalonline.com/

Neocron 2 site: http://neocron-game.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Found that hilarious. You're the only one that ever brings up Regnum.
    haha ya.. i think the vast majority of mmo pvp players are quite relaxed in what they see as good pvp. 95%+ of them just enjoy it if there is heaps of action and shiny gfx effects. but.. if they ever do tire of all that glitz, then the long term trend is for people to seek pvp which is intellectually enriching+invigorating. this means it exercises your mathematical, probability + strategic abilities. somewhat like speed chess. to do this, the pvp mmo must be precise in its combat log, must have well timed duels so that players can anticipate each others moves and must have a logical and limited set of abilities.

so it is probably likely that the highest IQ guys will end up in pvp mmos like regnum, while the most mentally relaxed, intellectually undiscerning, guys will end up in smashfests like Tera. (Rift may be better? edit: see post above, looks like not). so given the choice of which crowd i want to spend time with, the choice is obvious.

but--- regnum is far from perfect and the players can be bit dim also, compared to neverwinter. neverwinter pvp had a large number of really bright intellects.

---- i think mmos are like where fantasy novels were when Lotro/Alan Garner/CS Lewis was just being written. Quite a bit of trashy classic writing, and only a few appreciated the true lasting gems.
    Last edited by queenvoo; 07-14-2013 at 02:48 AM.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 14

Neverwinter PvP is too imbalanced though. Control Wizards if played right, rape everything. I averaged 30-40 kills per game and win 2 v 1 frequently. Extremely high damage while controlling someone is no joke. Also once your renegade wizard procs, Ice Knife WILL 1 shot anyone. Not to mention they have the best getaway in the game, teleport which can be used 4 times in a row >_>
    Currently playing :Grand Fantasia(yet again...)

IGN: Neclord

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki3ait View Post
    Hi Apoca! i'm one of your youtube subs, (TheEbonyStallion), I've asked you about Dragon's Prophet before.
    I know you play alot of Wushu, so could you clarify what has been said on this thread with your experience?
    Also, are you playing Dragon's Prophet? I'd love a mate to play with.
    Wushu is essentially just as others have said it is. Snail USA fails to give any reliable cust**** support to their players - even though of us that have VIP. Not once, even during the times I've requested help during the hours that they say support is available, have I had an in-game help request answered by a GM. In the three+ months that I've played, only one person that I know has gotten a GM in-game response. When I have sent emails for support, specifically when I got hacked by what I can only assume was their blunder as none of my other accounts on any other game have ever been hacked. They told me that it was my fault and that they could not, and would not, help me out by tracking down the person that hacked me (which was really easy as the ******* was still in my mail box records and it was easy to see who had done it, plus I know they track IPs). However, they find time to mass-ban innocents because they suspect them of buying gold but will not do ANYTHING to deduce the numbers of gold spammers - the same exact gold spammers last days sometimes.

Now, in some games this would be OK (tho not appreciated), but the version of Age of Wushu that Snail USA is using on the US servers is quite buggy. On top of that, there are a lot of exploits that can be used to harass people. Chief among this, at least in my experience, is the "PM spam lag" tactic. I've had this used (tho not recently) on me in almost every war I've fought in. Enemy guilds will set up some bots to send me a message every half a second in an attempt to lag me out. Fortunately, it doesn't work to well on me, but it does cause noticeable lag. You can see an example of this in one of my recent Age of Wushu videos. Unfortunately, blackslisting these guys does nothing to stop their ability to PM you, for some reason. Which sucks as spam bots also do this PM spam crap.

There is also an issue of me getting very bad ping on the US servers, even tho I really shouldn't be. Even people who live minutes from where the servers are hosted will get pretty bad lag. To the point that we all agree that we get better and more stable ping (at least so far) on the EU servers. This is the biggest factor in my guilds choice to move to Age of Wulin, but we will still play Age of Wushu at the same time... we have a lot invested in that game and don't want to just drop it. However we will make Wulin our main focus and a majority of us probably will not be getting VIP for Age of Wushu/Snail USA any time soon.

So, to recap, Age of Wushu:
    • Bad ping, even for people very close to the server host
    • No cust**** support
    • No help if you are hacked
    • Potentially can be banned for weeks at a time at any moment if Snail USA suspects you of having bought gold (which, 90% of the time is just rich people making large purchases/sells)
    • Stupidly over-pricing cash shop items - IE $60 for a cash shop skill set, or $200 (or was it more?) for a pet ferret. They would rather cash-grab from the few people willing to put that much money into the game, instead of making it accessible to a lot of people but offering cheap and affordable prices. Essentially, they are greedy.
    • Horrible translations, even tho the game has been released for months, and was in closed/open beta for a lot longer. Unacceptable at this point as far as most people are concerned.
    • Extremely buggy

And while Wulin will probably have most of the problems Wushu has, as far as us players have seen Wulin offers this offer Wushu:
    • Better ping for US players (think about that - they're hosting their servers in Europe and we get better, more stable ping).
    • Cust**** support that actually exist.

As for Dragon's Prophet... Back when I initially played, I was a bit disappointed to find that some of the features I was really looking forward to were not available yet. Because of that, I ended up dropping the game to focus on other games until those features were made available. From what I've read, some of the features I wanted (housing) were put in, but I believe a few more are missing. What I am really looking forward to from the game is the territory control system and the PVP-aspect of the game. When I was initially reading about and following the game, three things caught my interested: Dragons - which I've always loved. Playing Housing - which again, I've always loved in a game ever since Star Wars Galaxies. And the idea of two groups of players (Guilds) go head to head for control over a territory and then being able to tax the territory and get other benefits, building a castle and other neat stuff.

However, I will be doing a write up of the game soonish. Not sure if I'm allowed to say exactly what it'll be on, but it should be showing up late next week or early the week after. I will probably update and play the game a bit sometime next week, but I'm not sure how much time I'll spend on it.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

In my experience, there are currently two very good Open World PVP MMOs out there. When I say "In my experience" I mean that I have spent a significant time in and enjoyed. There are others out there that are enjoyable that I would say you should try. I will go into a bit of detail on the two that I enjoyed the most and then mention others that I also enjoyed.

Anyways, first is Mortal Online. Someone else already posted about this, but it is a pretty great experience if you do not mind a bit of hardcore playing. You will need to join a guild, or be very good at making connections, if you want to play this game without dying constantly. If you join a good guild and like medieval-type games and want a sort of lite-simulation of what it would be like to live in a medieval world with a bit of magic and fantasy, this would be your game. It has "action" first-person combat, which I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, because of the teams small size (which was recently enlarged), it takes a long time for updates, fixes, etc... to come out and the game is still plagued by many bugs that have existed for years. There is still a lot of messing content that has been promised since beta, too. However, don't get me wrong, the game has a lot of content already. This is a game where hard work can pay off, and when you die you feel because everything you had is dropped on the ground for anyone to grab. You're not safe anywhere, not even in towns if the person killing you is smart and nimble enough. Check out my Mortal Online review here.

Next up is the game I'm currently starting again. It's Wurm Online and while it does not have action combat like Mortal does. However, there is a lot of stuff in it that make it amazing. Free-form house designing, terraforming, hundreds upon hundreds of items to craft... it has almost everything that you could want from a medieval sandbox game. And more and more of the stuff that you want but is missing is added frequently. Until recently, I would have said the only thing holding Wurm Online back were its poor graphics and lack of animations. Fortunately, I cannot say that anymore as the graphics have been getting massive overhauls lately. Wurm is a freemium/premium game with freemium account being restricted to 20 (out of 100) in all stats/skills. Check out my Wurm Online review here.

Also, PVP in Wurm has a more meaningful feeling to it. In Mortal, it's more about random skirmishes that just happen because someone was bored and decided to go out and cause trouble. In Wurm, PVP is usually because someone decided to go out pirating as a real source of getting good gear and resources and even some money. They get into a boat in their best gear (which probably has a good 3hrs of work put into each set), find a settlement and try to siege/sneak their way into it. Because of this, I've always felt that Wurms combat is a lot more fun than Mortals, even tho everyone (including me) agrees that Wurm has a very horrible combat system. I hope that Mortals combat will one day feel like Wurms.

Next is Shores of Hazeron. Probably one of the games with the biggest scopes I have seen. Imagine a game with a galaxy just as big as Eve online, with a lot of the stuff that people like from EVe online. But, add in the fact that it is a first-person game instead of just ship-based (but you do fly ships and stuff), and add in features from games like SimCity or Civilization. Then the fact that you can design and build your own spaceships and buildings. Plus seamless ground-to-space flight (aka atmospheric flight). Basically it has everything a hard-core space sci-fi fan could want. It's only major downfall is its crappy graphics, which are admittedly getting better slowly. It is 100% free, though. No way to even donate to the game, as far as I know. Here is an article I wrote on the game. The game IS open PVP, like Eve is. Except their is no CONCORD to protect you. If you want to be defended against attackers, you will need to build/design fleets and defensive space stations and ground-based protections. When you die, you drop one items from your inventory.

Some other games I would say are worth mentioning are Age of Wushu/Wulin. This is a great open world PVP experience that isn't a bit more light-hearted than the other games I've enjoyed in the past - you wont be dropping any of your items or getting any large negative effects from dying. What I really enjoy is how it is an "easy" game, but at the same time is so much more deep than people initially realize.

Face of Mankind is also a great sci-fi themed open-PVP game. It can be a very immersing role-play experience at times, too.

Stalker Online (Or sZone Online now) is also a really great Open PVP experience. This is one of the few open PVP games where, and it happens frequently, but it feels like it should be happening. The guilds in this game feel a lot like the groups you find in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. And while there are some groups that will fight each other, it is often the norm to be walking along a road and run into another person and to stop and have a chat about things such as if any bandits are nearby, or if any anomaly fields are around to watch out for. That sort of stuff. I've had so many conversations with random Stalkers in that game that made it feel like one of the most immersing experiences I've ever had. Unfortunately, the game is developed by a Russian company and their English side of things haven't really gotten together yet - almost all of the people that work on the English version of the game are Russian and do not have the best English. I had a review on this game, but I can't seem to find it on the site anymore.

You might notice that I do a lot of the open World PVP reviews for OnRPG. That's because they're the games that I enjoy the most, and the ones I have the most experience with. It's not so much that I like PVP, but that I love a game that allows for unhindered player interaction. I love it when a developer gives us this unique and amazing virtual world to experience and "live" in, but hate it when they restrict our ability to exist in it by putting in artificial laws that effectively "destroy the experiment." I do respect that some (or a lot) of people do not enjoy the PVP aspect of gaming, though. So I don't complain when an MMO does not have open-PVP, but rather seek out and enjoy the ones that do. Heck, one of my all-time favorite games (Istaria) basically has no PVP except for a crappy arena that no one ever uses and a lot of people did not know it existed. I'm not even sure if they have it in the game anymore.
    -Cingal

Quote Originally Posted by Mario87 View Post
    Neverwinter PvP is too imbalanced though. Control Wizards if played right, rape everything. I averaged 30-40 kills per game and win 2 v 1 frequently. Extremely high damage while controlling someone is no joke. Also once your renegade wizard procs, Ice Knife WILL 1 shot anyone. Not to mention they have the best getaway in the game, teleport which can be used 4 times in a row >_>
    mm yea within the fantasy lore of DnD, mages are generally at the top of the food chain. (hence in Conan u see barbarians terrified of mages). for pvp mods what we do is limit the power of mages: cut duration and damage of spells, break stuns on damage, remove some spells, boost hp of melee types. A well made weaponmaster can on occasion 2-3 hit kill a mage in right conditions. But in every situation, we find that nerfing powers has a detrimental effect in that it remove the awesome power a player can enjoy, as well as the ability of a player to stand out individually. (Regnum is basically nerfed nwn pvp).

Apocaruff -- great info on Shores of Hazeron and Age of Wulin! both sound very interesting games, esp the 1st one. personally, im not into pvp which is so deep and open that it takes me ages to kill someone. I prefer a game where i can jump in and regularly hear the agonised screams of 30 players dying to me in 30 minutes, but i think those games do sound pretty fabulous!

Wow thank you for those incredible replies, Apoc.
    Mortal and Wurm are just too restricted for F2Ps for me however.
    Personally, I can pay. I put hundreds into good F2P games like Dragon's prophet. However, I've got a good friend who doesn't have any money to spare, and he enjoys playing with me in these free games because I recently gave him his first laptop which was mine but I just replaced. That being said, I can't really play a too-restricted game with him and that's what I'm looking for. We've had fun in DP and TERA so far.
    With what you and others have said about Wushu, that's off my list for sure.
    Shores of Hazeron doesn't really fit my tastes, even though it does sound pretty good.
    I've played the Stalker video games, so I'm guessing that the online is not for me

I think I'm looking for a fantasy game that's not friendly to noobs, pvp wise. I WANT to be murdered by jerk high level players when I'm just starting. It doesn't make me angry, it motivates me to get to the endgame so I can dish out some revenge.