Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Anyone else sick of generic classes?

  1. #1
    FFXIV Mogcast Manager Reputation: 19
    Mogcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Anyone else sick of generic classes?

    I'm a bit tired of games showing off there classes and going "Fighter!, Mage!, Cleric!, Thief!"

    Why don't some game designers get a bit more original and start coming up with there own classes? There's many different types of weapons that aren't even touched in MMO's (including the names of classes) yet every game that has came out in the past 10 years usually boasts original gameplay and "Next-Gen".

    Do you guys think that these unoriginal classes are the reason we are being burned out on our MMO's? I think if a developer could come out with some decent gameplay/storyline and actually create some diverse classes then I would be more looking forward to trying it out. I'm not saying that this would make a good game but I would at least give them brownie points for trying.

    In every game we see the same weapon types and class names. It's about time for a change, eh? What kind of weapons and class changes would you guys like to see in the upcoming MMO's?
    www.mogcast.com Come visit us, Kupo!

  2. #2
    Banned Reputation: 34

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    play mabinogi there tons new classes. puppet master, gunslinger,blacksmith,engineer,magic crafter

  3. #3
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 27
    Huntchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N E L L View Post
    I'm a bit tired of games showing off there classes and going "Fighter!, Mage!, Cleric!, Thief!"

    Why don't some game designers get a bit more original and start coming up with there own classes? There's many different types of weapons that aren't even touched in MMO's (including the names of classes) yet every game that has came out in the past 10 years usually boasts original gameplay and "Next-Gen".

    Do you guys think that these unoriginal classes are the reason we are being burned out on our MMO's? I think if a developer could come out with some decent gameplay/storyline and actually create some diverse classes then I would be more looking forward to trying it out. I'm not saying that this would make a good game but I would at least give them brownie points for trying.

    In every game we see the same weapon types and class names. It's about time for a change, eh? What kind of weapons and class changes would you guys like to see in the upcoming MMO's?
    Give Maplestory and Grand Chase a try. I also recommend Mabinogi.

    EDIT

    Maplestory:


    Explorers:

    Warrior [3 Branches]
    Magician [3 Branches]
    Thief [2 Branches]
    Archer [2 Branches]
    Pirate [2 Branches]
    Cannoneer [1 Branch]
    Dual Blader [1 Branch]
    Jett [1 Branch]
    Zenn [? Branch]

    Cygnus Knights:

    Dawn Warrior [1 Branch]
    Blaze Wizard [1 Branch]
    Night Walker [1 Branch]
    Wind Archer [1 Branch]
    Thunder Breaker [1 Branch]
    Mihile [1 Branch]

    Resistance:

    Battle Mage [1 Branch]
    Wild Hunter [1 Branch]
    Mechanic [1 Branch]
    Demon [2 Branches]

    Hero:

    Aran [1 Branch]
    Evan [1 Branch]
    Mercedes [1 Branch]
    Phantom [1 Branch
    Luminous [1 Branch]

    Nova:

    Kaiser [1 Branch]
    Angelic Burster [1 Branch]

    Sengoku:

    Hayoto [1 Branch]
    Kanna [1 Branch]

    Last edited by Huntchez; 08-19-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Games I currently play:

    Cosmic League
    Minecraft
    Warframe
    Lost Saga

    Waiting for: Overwatch, Maplestory 2, and Rakion 2.

  4. #4
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235
    Jermatoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,229
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I don't mind the same old classes since it's been part of the fantasy genre and such from the very start but I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to have original/different classes added to the mix. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing specific subclasses/job advancements to each one where the class branches off and becomes original. Maybe have something like gunslinger where he/she can change into either being an assault class using rifles or something that uses pistols.

  5. #5
    FFXIV Mogcast Manager Reputation: 19
    Mogcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I wasn't saying that I don't know any games without other types of classes. I was merely trying to bring on a discussion about what other classes could be available in games after seeing so many of the over used ones. If you guys though I was looking for a game with other classes then I'm sorry I worded it incorrectly or sounded confusing. xD

    I know there are some games that step away from the traditional classes but most aren't. If there was the next big MMO coming out, take EQ:Next for example, would you rather them stick with the current classes or try to be original and create there own? This is the kind of discussion I was looking for.

    There are so many unused weapons that developers could add into there game. Here are a few:

    Scythes
    Pickaxe (similar to what kohaku uses on Inuyasha)
    Bo****angs
    Rapier
    Magic Sword (I'm surprised this is rarely used)
    Beast Master
    Samauri style

    I understand balancing a bunch of weapons would be difficult but even if they gave these weapons as options based on an existing class it could possibly make the game way less generic.
    Last edited by Mogcast; 08-19-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    www.mogcast.com Come visit us, Kupo!

  6. #6
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 27

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Hmm. Dragon's Prophet has the Oracle Class. A magic damage Scythe wielding DPS with dragon spell power.
    Maplestory sure has a bunch... Maybe too many :P
    I liked TERA's classes.
    But i agree with you.

  7. #7
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 27
    Huntchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N E L L View Post
    I wasn't saying that I don't know any games without other types of classes. I was merely trying to bring on a discussion about what other classes could be available in games after seeing so many of the over used ones. If you guys though I was looking for a game with other classes then I'm sorry I worded it incorrectly or sounded confusing. xD

    I know there are some games that step away from the traditional classes but most aren't. If there was the next big MMO coming out, take EQ:Next for example, would you rather them stick with the current classes or try to be original and create there own? This is the kind of discussion I was looking for.

    There are so many unused weapons that developers could add into there game. Here are a few:

    Scythes
    Pickaxe (similar to what kohaku uses on Inuyasha)
    Bo****angs
    Rapier
    Magic Sword (I'm surprised this is rarely used)
    Beast Master
    Samauri style

    I understand balancing a bunch of weapons would be difficult but even if they gave these weapons as options based on an existing class it could possibly make the game way less generic.
    Code:
    Scythes fall under Heavy Swords (In fewer games), Spears (In few games) and Two Handed Staff Weapons (In common games.)
    
    Pickaxe is usually a low level weapon which varies between 1H Axe and 2H Axe. However, the weapon which Kohaku uses known as the Kusarigama will more than likely never see the light in non-Chinese Mmorpgs.
    
    Rapier would be more so a common weapon in game,s though may not look exactly like a rapier we often see, which is often found in games as a 1H Sword or 1H Light Sword [Stab] type weapon. While it the animations may not show, it is definitely in plenty of games.
    
    Rather than giving these their own unique animations or class, they will simply fall into a catigory since they are technically these things. 
    Can't say much for Magic Sword, except enchant a weapon (Should the game had things that don't just boost attack or durability), though DoMO had a class exclusively for this known as the Fencer.
    
    Can't say much for Beast Master, didn't play many games with this system.
    
    What's Samurai style?
    Games I currently play:

    Cosmic League
    Minecraft
    Warframe
    Lost Saga

    Waiting for: Overwatch, Maplestory 2, and Rakion 2.

  8. #8
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,145
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N E L L View Post

    There are so many unused weapons that developers could add into there game. Here are a few:

    Scythes
    Pickaxe (similar to what kohaku uses on Inuyasha)
    Bo****angs
    Rapier
    Magic Sword (I'm surprised this is rarely used)
    Beast Master
    Samauri style
    Scythes users are not that uncommon. A number of games have them as well as classes solely designed to use them. (Examples from games: DFO, Dragon's Prophet, vindictus)

    Pickaxe (similar to what kohaku uses on Inuyasha)
    Let me clear this up a bit. First off, a pickaxe or mattocks are generally farming/mining/ice climbing tools, though some have been used/modified for use in combat. Second, Kohaku from Inuyasha does not use a Pickaxe, but rather a kusarigama (Chain Sickle) which originated without the chain as farming tool. It is often associated as a type of ninja weapon and those classes are highly represented themselves or through skills held by rogue type classes.

    Bo****angs
    Bo****angs/chakrams are also not that uncommon, but they typically fall under ranger type classes.

    Rapier
    Rapier weapons are often in a lot of games, however, fighting styles specific to rapiers are not. Florensia Saints used them, though they were a healing class, and many games have them as regular one handed slashing weapons.

    Magic Sword (I'm surprised this is rarely used)
    "Magic Sword" is kind of a broad term but I think you mean something along the lines of a class that uses a sword strengthened by magic, usually in the form of elemental/arcane powers, right? In most MMORPG's that usually means some kind of hybrid class and most games don't handle those well. They have em though.

    Beast Master
    Beast Master/Tamers/Summoners definitely exist in mmorpgs (Hell wasn't FFXI known for it's Beast Master class at one point?). You see em more in RPGs, especially RPGs though. They are often in the form of Mages or Ranger type classes.

    Samauri style
    While not used all that often, FFXI had the Samurai class pretty much down as far as weapon choice goes with the common ones (Katana, Bow, Spear, Dagger), apart from other stuff like Juttes, and Manrikigusari (chain with ball at the end used for parry and entaglement), Iron Fans and guns.

    Eden Eternal has a Samurai class though I believe that was added with a recent patch.

    I'd like to see some unique classes myself, but most of those are kinda already there.

    Edit: damn it, you guys beat me to it. =/
    Last edited by Kashis; 08-19-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  9. #9
    FFXIV Mogcast Manager Reputation: 19
    Mogcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Chain sickle, that's the word I was looking for.

    I agree with you that some games do have them. What I was getting at is that out of the games you listed that do have them, how many are there that don't? I just don't understand why developers can't try and be at least a little bit unique.

    Hopefully we will see more free form weapon choosing in the future of MMO's. Something similar to Skyrim would actually work very well. Give weapons there own stats and let players choose there own skills as they level up. This alone could change the way a lot of MMO's are played without having to stick to one class.

    It would make PvP and dungeons much more interesting.

    Edit: In my opinion. Can't forget to add that in since a lot of people like to argue. :P
    www.mogcast.com Come visit us, Kupo!

  10. #10
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 76
    Senseos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    876
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    im sick of Assasin clases that inbalance the pvp in most mmorpgs,assasin isnt a good clas for fantasy mmos ! ! !

  11. #11
    Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80
    ASNZern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,815
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    It's not just how many classes there are, it's what those classes can do.

    If Game A has like 30 classes, but most of the melee classes act the same way, with same mechanics and only with a few alterations here and there; then it's not gonna be interesting.

    If Game B has only like 4 classes, but each class has 4-5 paths/branches/trees that play differently. And maybe with also ability to cross-class skills; then it's gonna be way lots more interesting.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

  12. #12
    Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10
    Galash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I think Wakfu and Dofus classes are pretty unique. Although they might seem as the basic role, they can all wear any weapon and your playstyle can be very varied. And you can ''branch'' each class if you focus on 1 element, or you can just mix spells and go bananas, there are tons of combinations that will make playstyle very unique. The class lore is very nice as well, both games got the same 14 classes but they look different and act differently in both of them, you should give it a try if you want to vary.

    Maplestory does have a ton of classes as well even though they share the basic archetype, you do feel different while playing different classes with the same archetype, ex. warrior, mihile, aran, demon slayer, demon avenger, hayato, dawn warrior, they all share the warrior archetype but they definitely feel different both in power, playstyle, etc etc. try those games, they hooked me up for a lot of years.

  13. #13
    Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 92
    Barrettblatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    718
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Yeah, I cringe every time I create a character in a game and my options are Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage.

    My first MMO was Everquest, and it launched with Warrior, Cleric, Paladin, Shadow Knight, Necromancer, Magician, Wizard, Enchanter, Rogue, Ranger, Bard, Druid, Monk, and Shaman.

    14 different classes, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

    I then moved from Everquest to Final Fantasy XI, and that offered Warrior, Thief, White Mage, Red Mage, Monk, Black Mage, Summoner, Paladin, Dark Knight, Dragoon, Samurai, Ninja, Beastmaster, Bard, and Ranger.

    15 classes, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

    From there I played some WoW and it offered Warrior, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Shaman, Rogue, Mage, and Druid.

    8 Classes that played differently, and then each had 3 specialization paths to choose from.

    Having this kind of background makes me rage when my options are Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage. Then offering 2 specializations to branch off to.

    Warriors get to specialize as one hand and shield, or two handed. (Tank or DPS.)
    Priests get to specialize healing, or damage. (Healing or DPS.)
    Rogues get to specialize ranged, or melee. (DPS or DPS.)
    Mages get to specialize one element, or another. (Fire and Water/Ice are pretty common.) (DPS or DPS.)

  14. #14
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52
    Heartyace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,343
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galash View Post
    I think Wakfu and Dofus classes are pretty unique. Although they might seem as the basic role, they can all wear any weapon and your playstyle can be very varied. And you can ''branch'' each class if you focus on 1 element, or you can just mix spells and go bananas, there are tons of combinations that will make playstyle very unique. The class lore is very nice as well, both games got the same 14 classes but they look different and act differently in both of them, you should give it a try if you want to vary.
    Wakfu and Dofus had some fun mechanics, when I was a kid I would spam this game. The classes is what made it fun, everything was so different and there wasn't any set build really.

    My favorite was that blood wielding dude that hurts himself and was a tank in his own pseudo way. I'd love to see something like this come back again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senseos View Post
    im sick of Assasin clases that inbalance the pvp in most mmorpgs,assasin isnt a good clas for fantasy mmos ! ! !
    I agree.
    Tired of assassin classes, everyone picks em. They're always broken in pvp. (1v1s especially).
    There was even a time in League when Akali/Shaco was picked every game. Just wasn't cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by Your average commentor
    If she has anime flu, she will die.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

  15. #15
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 30
    Melton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Mars.
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    IMO there just aren't that many classes out there because game mechanics in MMOs are getting dumbed down.
    Some of the more popular MMOs have many classes that are diverse and unique (and useful, I might add). RO was the last game I really played that had diverse classes and interesting skills that came with each one.

    In a typical MMO, developers seldom make room for the more "creative" classes to exist other than the basic meelee class, ranged class, magician class, and healer class. It's really disappointing. However, these four basic classes are what seem to make a game work the best, which is why we see them in every MMO ever; they support the basic mechanic of a party and are thus suitable for an MMORPG.

    Should the game get more complex by including more mechanics, then more classes will definitely be welcome. (Sorry, but I can only think of examples from RO: consider the "battery" function of sages, or the dance/music combination of the bard/dancer classes. RO is full of creative and spectacular jobs.)

    Considering that most games are becoming increasingly repetitive and simplistic, I wouldn't see more classes being in MMOs anytime soon other than the four basic ones that i've mentioned.
    Currently Playing [IGN]: (Say Hi if you see me!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •