Anyone else sick of generic classes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

It's not just how many classes there are, it's what those classes can do.

If Game A has like 30 classes, but most of the melee classes act the same way, with same mechanics and only with a few alterations here and there; then it's not gonna be interesting.

If Game B has only like 4 classes, but each class has 4-5 paths/branches/trees that play differently. And maybe with also ability to cross-class skills; then it's gonna be way lots more interesting.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

I think Wakfu and Dofus classes are pretty unique. Although they might seem as the basic role, they can all wear any weapon and your playstyle can be very varied. And you can ''branch'' each class if you focus on 1 element, or you can just mix spells and go bananas, there are tons of combinations that will make playstyle very unique. The class lore is very nice as well, both games got the same 14 classes but they look different and act differently in both of them, you should give it a try if you want to vary.

Maplestory does have a ton of classes as well even though they share the basic archetype, you do feel different while playing different classes with the same archetype, ex. warrior, mihile, aran, demon slayer, demon avenger, hayato, dawn warrior, they all share the warrior archetype but they definitely feel different both in power, playstyle, etc etc. try those games, they hooked me up for a lot of years.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 82

Yeah, I cringe every time I create a character in a game and my options are Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage.

My first MMO was Everquest, and it launched with Warrior, Cleric, Paladin, Shadow Knight, Necromancer, Magician, Wizard, Enchanter, Rogue, Ranger, Bard, Druid, Monk, and Shaman.

14 different classes, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I then moved from Everquest to Final Fantasy XI, and that offered Warrior, Thief, White Mage, Red Mage, Monk, Black Mage, Summoner, Paladin, Dark Knight, Dragoon, Samurai, Ninja, Beastmaster, Bard, and Ranger.

15 classes, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

From there I played some WoW and it offered Warrior, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Shaman, Rogue, Mage, and Druid.

8 Classes that played differently, and then each had 3 specialization paths to choose from.

Having this kind of background makes me rage when my options are Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage. Then offering 2 specializations to branch off to.

Warriors get to specialize as one hand and shield, or two handed. (Tank or DPS.)
    Priests get to specialize healing, or damage. (Healing or DPS.)
    Rogues get to specialize ranged, or melee. (DPS or DPS.)
    Mages get to specialize one element, or another. (Fire and Water/Ice are pretty common.) (DPS or DPS.)

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52

Quote Originally Posted by Galash View Post
    I think Wakfu and Dofus classes are pretty unique. Although they might seem as the basic role, they can all wear any weapon and your playstyle can be very varied. And you can ''branch'' each class if you focus on 1 element, or you can just mix spells and go bananas, there are tons of combinations that will make playstyle very unique. The class lore is very nice as well, both games got the same 14 classes but they look different and act differently in both of them, you should give it a try if you want to vary.
    Wakfu and Dofus had some fun mechanics, when I was a kid I would spam this game. The classes is what made it fun, everything was so different and there wasn't any set build really.

My favorite was that blood wielding dude that hurts himself and was a tank in his own pseudo way. I'd love to see something like this come back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Senseos View Post
    im sick of Assasin clases that inbalance the pvp in most mmorpgs,assasin isnt a good clas for fantasy mmos ! ! !
    I agree.
    Tired of assassin classes, everyone picks em. They're always broken in pvp. (1v1s especially).
    There was even a time in League when Akali/Shaco was picked every game. Just wasn't cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote
    IPandawa was a minor god who came to power and joined the ranks of the twelve when she discovered a recipe for the perfect bamboo wine/milk.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 30

IMO there just aren't that many classes out there because game mechanics in MMOs are getting dumbed down.
    Some of the more popular MMOs have many classes that are diverse and unique (and useful, I might add). RO was the last game I really played that had diverse classes and interesting skills that came with each one.

In a typical MMO, developers seldom make room for the more "creative" classes to exist other than the basic meelee class, ranged class, magician class, and healer class. It's really disappointing. However, these four basic classes are what seem to make a game work the best, which is why we see them in every MMO ever; they support the basic mechanic of a party and are thus suitable for an MMORPG.

Should the game get more complex by including more mechanics, then more classes will definitely be welcome. (Sorry, but I can only think of examples from RO: consider the "battery" function of sages, or the dance/music combination of the bard/dancer classes. RO is full of creative and spectacular jobs.)

Considering that most games are becoming increasingly repetitive and simplistic, I wouldn't see more classes being in MMOs anytime soon other than the four basic ones that i've mentioned.
    Currently Playing [IGN]: (Say Hi if you see me!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12