Anyone else sick of generic classes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FFXIV Mogcast Manager Reputation: 19

Default Anyone else sick of generic classes?

I'm a bit tired of games showing off there classes and going "Fighter!, Mage!, Cleric!, Thief!"

Why don't some game designers get a bit more original and start coming up with there own classes? There's many different types of weapons that aren't even touched in MMO's (including the names of classes) yet every game that has came out in the past 10 years usually boasts original gameplay and "Next-Gen".

Do you guys think that these unoriginal classes are the reason we are being burned out on our MMO's? I think if a developer could come out with some decent gameplay/storyline and actually create some diverse classes then I would be more looking forward to trying it out. I'm not saying that this would make a good game but I would at least give them brownie points for trying.

In every game we see the same weapon types and class names. It's about time for a change, eh? What kind of weapons and class changes would you guys like to see in the upcoming MMO's?
    www.mogcast.com Come visit us, Kupo!

Banned Reputation: 34

play mabinogi there tons new classes. puppet master, gunslinger,blacksmith,engineer,magic crafter

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 27

Quote Originally Posted by N E L L View Post
    I'm a bit tired of games showing off there classes and going "Fighter!, Mage!, Cleric!, Thief!"

Why don't some game designers get a bit more original and start coming up with there own classes? There's many different types of weapons that aren't even touched in MMO's (including the names of classes) yet every game that has came out in the past 10 years usually boasts original gameplay and "Next-Gen".

Do you guys think that these unoriginal classes are the reason we are being burned out on our MMO's? I think if a developer could come out with some decent gameplay/storyline and actually create some diverse classes then I would be more looking forward to trying it out. I'm not saying that this would make a good game but I would at least give them brownie points for trying.

In every game we see the same weapon types and class names. It's about time for a change, eh? What kind of weapons and class changes would you guys like to see in the upcoming MMO's?
    Give Maplestory and Grand Chase a try. I also recommend Mabinogi.

EDIT

Maplestory:

Explorers:

Warrior [3 Branches]
    Magician [3 Branches]
    Thief [2 Branches]
    Archer [2 Branches]
    Pirate [2 Branches]
    Cannoneer [1 Branch]
    Dual Blader [1 Branch]
    Jett [1 Branch]
    Zenn [? Branch]

Cygnus Knights:

Dawn Warrior [1 Branch]
    Blaze Wizard [1 Branch]
    Night Walker [1 Branch]
    Wind Archer [1 Branch]
    Thunder Breaker [1 Branch]
    Mihile [1 Branch]

Resistance:

Battle Mage [1 Branch]
    Wild Hunter [1 Branch]
    Mechanic [1 Branch]
    Demon [2 Branches]

Hero:

Aran [1 Branch]
    Evan [1 Branch]
    Mercedes [1 Branch]
    Phantom [1 Branch
    Luminous [1 Branch]

Nova:

Kaiser [1 Branch]
    Angelic Burster [1 Branch]

Sengoku:

Hayoto [1 Branch]
    Kanna [1 Branch]

Last edited by Huntchez; 08-19-2013 at 04:08 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 220

I don't mind the same old classes since it's been part of the fantasy genre and such from the very start but I do agree that it wouldn't hurt to have original/different classes added to the mix. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing specific subclasses/job advancements to each one where the class branches off and becomes original. Maybe have something like gunslinger where he/she can change into either being an assault class using rifles or something that uses pistols.

I wasn't saying that I don't know any games without other types of classes. I was merely trying to bring on a discussion about what other classes could be available in games after seeing so many of the over used ones. If you guys though I was looking for a game with other classes then I'm sorry I worded it incorrectly or sounded confusing. xD

I know there are some games that step away from the traditional classes but most aren't. If there was the next big MMO coming out, take EQ:Next for example, would you rather them stick with the current classes or try to be original and create there own? This is the kind of discussion I was looking for.

There are so many unused weapons that developers could add into there game. Here are a few:

Scythes
    Pickaxe (similar to what kohaku uses on Inuyasha)
    Boomerangs
    Rapier
    Magic Sword (I'm surprised this is rarely used)
    Beast Master
    Samauri style

I understand balancing a bunch of weapons would be difficult but even if they gave these weapons as options based on an existing class it could possibly make the game way less generic.
    Last edited by Mogcast; 08-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 27

Hmm. Dragon's Prophet has the Oracle Class. A magic damage Scythe wielding DPS with dragon spell power.
    Maplestory sure has a bunch... Maybe too many :P
    I liked TERA's classes.
    But i agree with you.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 27

I wasn't saying that I don't know any games without other types of classes. I was merely trying to bring on a discussion about what other classes could be available in games after seeing so many of the over used ones. If you guys though I was looking for a game with other classes then I'm sorry I worded it incorrectly or sounded confusing. xD

I know there are some games that step away from the traditional classes but most aren't. If there was the next big MMO coming out, take EQ:Next for example, would you rather them stick with the current classes or try to be original and create there own? This is the kind of discussion I was looking for.

There are so many unused weapons that developers could add into there game. Here are a few:

Scythes
    Boomerangs
    Rapier
    Beast Master
    Samauri style

I understand balancing a bunch of weapons would be difficult but even if they gave these weapons as options based on an existing class it could possibly make the game way less generic.
    Code:
    Scythes fall under Heavy Swords (In fewer games), Spears (In few games) and Two Handed Staff Weapons (In common games.)

Pickaxe is usually a low level weapon which varies between 1H Axe and 2H Axe. However, the weapon which Kohaku uses known as the Kusarigama will more than likely never see the light in non-Chinese Mmorpgs.

Rapier would be more so a common weapon in game,s though may not look exactly like a rapier we often see, which is often found in games as a 1H Sword or 1H Light Sword [Stab] type weapon. While it the animations may not show, it is definitely in plenty of games.

Rather than giving these their own unique animations or class, they will simply fall into a catigory since they are technically these things. 
    Can't say much for Magic Sword, except enchant a weapon (Should the game had things that don't just boost attack or durability), though DoMO had a class exclusively for this known as the Fencer.

Can't say much for Beast Master, didn't play many games with this system.

What's Samurai style?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Scythes
    Boomerangs
    Rapier
    Beast Master
    Samauri style
    Scythes users are not that uncommon. A number of games have them as well as classes solely designed to use them. (Examples from games: DFO, Dragon's Prophet, vindictus)

Let me clear this up a bit. First off, a pickaxe or mattocks are generally farming/mining/ice climbing tools, though some have been used/modified for use in combat. Second, Kohaku from Inuyasha does not use a Pickaxe, but rather a kusarigama (Chain Sickle) which originated without the chain as farming tool. It is often associated as a type of ninja weapon and those classes are highly represented themselves or through skills held by rogue type classes.

Boomerangs
    Boomerangs/chakrams are also not that uncommon, but they typically fall under ranger type classes.

Rapier
    Rapier weapons are often in a lot of games, however, fighting styles specific to rapiers are not. Florensia Saints used them, though they were a healing class, and many games have them as regular one handed slashing weapons.

"Magic Sword" is kind of a broad term but I think you mean something along the lines of a class that uses a sword strengthened by magic, usually in the form of elemental/arcane powers, right? In most MMORPG's that usually means some kind of hybrid class and most games don't handle those well. They have em though.

Beast Master
    Beast Master/Tamers/Summoners definitely exist in mmorpgs (Hell wasn't FFXI known for it's Beast Master class at one point?). You see em more in RPGs, especially RPGs though. They are often in the form of Mages or Ranger type classes.

Samauri style
    While not used all that often, FFXI had the Samurai class pretty much down as far as weapon choice goes with the common ones (Katana, Bow, Spear, Dagger), apart from other stuff like Juttes, and Manrikigusari (chain with ball at the end used for parry and entaglement), Iron Fans and guns.

Eden Eternal has a Samurai class though I believe that was added with a recent patch.

I'd like to see some unique classes myself, but most of those are kinda already there.

Edit: damn it, you guys beat me to it. =/
    Last edited by Kashis; 08-19-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

Chain sickle, that's the word I was looking for.

I agree with you that some games do have them. What I was getting at is that out of the games you listed that do have them, how many are there that don't? I just don't understand why developers can't try and be at least a little bit unique.

Hopefully we will see more free form weapon choosing in the future of MMO's. Something similar to Skyrim would actually work very well. Give weapons there own stats and let players choose there own skills as they level up. This alone could change the way a lot of MMO's are played without having to stick to one class.

It would make PvP and dungeons much more interesting.

Edit: In my opinion. Can't forget to add that in since a lot of people like to argue. :P

A Shrubbery Reputation: 76

im sick of Assasin clases that inbalance the pvp in most mmorpgs,assasin isnt a good clas for fantasy mmos ! ! !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast