MechWarrior and Hawken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 36

Hawken .

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 35

MWO has much more customization in term of game-play than Hawken. And no you are not obliged to only play ppc gausses builds, each class has it places, the only recurring issue is hit detection on mechs. Sometimes it doesn't register, they worked it out recently then they added 12v12 and it's ****ed again. So add bad aiming + fast small mechs + hit detection fail = lots of anger from some people.

Both game have decent f2p models, i fell though you progress faster in mwo. Although i am a sucker for some paints in mwo and some mechs, i was disappointed by the expensive and limited cosmetic customization in Hawken

Then Hawken has very annoying sounds (metal scratching...) that you need to hear or else you get flanked and works on my nerves.

The activable skills in Hawken are way better than the ones in mwo. Actually don't even waste xp on artillery strike/air strike unless with lots of Gxp on hands. UAV can be useful, you don't need cool-shots at all if you watch your heat.

Finally the biggest flaw of Hawken is 1 hit box and lots of AOE weapons, that encourage spaming and very little aiming, peek-> shoot -> dodge -> peek -> repeat.

Hawken has also oculus rift support if i am correct, and is backed by a giant companies, so i guess they have a bigger budget.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick3300 View Post

Finally the biggest flaw of Hawken is 1 hit box and lots of AOE weapons, that encourage spaming and very little aiming, peek-> shoot -> dodge -> peek -> repeat.

Hawken has also oculus rift support if i am correct, and is backed by a giant companies, so i guess they have a bigger budget.
    I agree that Hawken fills a lot like COD compared to MWO. It's a bit disappointing, as I would like it if I could blow off parts of my enemies rather than hit them with three TOWs in a row just to have them hide behind a corner and quickly repair themselves and come back out and start fighting like nothing happened.

Not sure about being backed by big companies, though. I know they use licensed tech from several companies, but I'm not sure if they're investors/sponsors or anything tho. I got the impression that the team working on Hawken was fairly indie when I first heard about it. However, that was quite a bit ago.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

A combination of Hawken and MWO would be perfect..... If they take the best out of both games.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 16

Mechwarrior Online is awful, it is Call of Duty with mechs, not mechwarrior at all.
    There is a Mechwarrior Multiplayer mod that had to stop development thanks to MWO. That mod is is how Mechwarrior Online should have been, I am still pissed they had to stop development. You can still play it but they will only release fixes, no more content.

If you really want arena mech PvP go far Hawken, it was made for that. Mechwarrior was always meant to be played on large maps.
    Last edited by Tyrias; 08-31-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrias View Post
    Mechwarrior Online is awful, it is Call of Duty with mechs, not mechwarrior at all.
    There is a Mechwarrior Multiplayer mod that had to stop development thanks to MWO. That mod is is how Mechwarrior Online should have been, I am still pissed they had to stop development. You can still play it but they will only release fixes, no more content.

If you really want arena mech PvP go far Hawken, it was made for that. Mechwarrior was always meant to be played on large maps.
    This mod was amazing. It had everything - hover tanks, jets, mechs of all classes and my favorite thing of all - you could get out of your mech and walk around as infantry and even fight.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

im a bit worried that MWO and Hawken are both past the time when mechs like that will ever be popular.

Pacific Rim and evolving mind control interface tech suggests mwo and hawken may be overrun by any mmo which is made along the lines of Evangelion. bit sad but it cud happen.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    im a bit worried that MWO and Hawken are both past the time when mechs like that will ever be popular.

Pacific Rim and evolving mind control interface tech suggests mwo and hawken may be overrun by any mmo which is made along the lines of Evangelion. bit sad but it cud happen.

I don't think so. What people find interesting is the giant robots, not the control method of said robots. Plus I feel that most people enjoy the cock-pit perspective that both games offer as it gives you a real sense of being "in" a giant robot. Something you just couldn't get otherwise.
    -Cingal

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Usually I play TPS game. But for mech game, it's FPS all the way !
    I don't mind big maps like in MWO. So you can utilize tactics and strategy and weapons.
    All mechs must also have their place. And not just the biggest = best.
    Customizations + various upgrades + loads of weapons.

Damn, I think I'm day-dreaming again.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

I decided to update my version of MWLL tonight, but it's a bit to late to play so I'll be doing so when I wake up later today. For anyone that's interested in it, someone was kind enough to set up an all-in-one package that includes the trial version of Crysis Wars (the game the mod is based on), and all the mod files. If you want to try it out, you can visit this link and download it. Of course, if you want the full MWLL experience, you'll have to purchase the full game.
    -Cingal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12