Final Fantasy XIV ARR: Discussion

Page 69 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
  1. #681
    Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 22
    sutasafaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delamorte View Post
    lol your dumb go play console games
    Thank you for your stunning contribution to this discussion, your argument has changed my life and is a brilliant example of your overwhelming intellect.

    Now that that's out of the way, if I could think of a single player game on PC that had a style of game play similar to that of an MMO I actually would be playing it. Skyrim is the only one I can think of and I'm honestly just not that fond of the game. MMO's tend to have a different feel to them than single player games even when you're looking purely at the core design. I like grinding, I like crafting, I especially like being able to talk to people when I'm just hanging out somewhere, and those things are sorely lacking in single player games. With the exception of crafting (which normally isn't very good in single or multiplayer games honestly) it's very hard to get a single player game that feels like an MMO, especially with the lack of ability to chat with a guild while playing a single player game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogcast View Post
    You can do Fate's by yourself but you can't expect dungeons to be solo'd. Like I put in another XIV thread, wait for my article to come out and I'll be explaining the pro's and cons, info on what has changed and been improved since 1.0 and solo/group options.
    I would never expect a dungeon to be able to be solo'd, I was more talking about the fact that you get forced to do them in the first place. In WoW I can totally avoid instances for the entire game if I choose, there's plenty of things to do while leveling, and the main story never forces group content. At the end of the game there is also plenty to do with crafting, rep grinding, pet battles, archaeology, pet collecting, mount collecting, and a few others I'm not thinking of right now. While FF14 is a new (sort of) game and having as many minigames can't be expected, the idea that group content is forced is what disappoints me. There should always be alternatives for people who dislike groups, even if those alternatives aren't as rewarding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Game pretty much forces you to do Group content because the game is all about group content. End game can be summarized as running raids 24/7. I highly doubt that will change.
    Hence why I would rather skip the game instead of buying it and then crying on the FF14 forums that the game isn't catering to my every whim like some people tend to do. Still interesting to have a discussion about the game though.

  2. #682
    Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    196
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Yeah, the forced grouping is a killer. You'll find yourself with some dumb dumb people that you have no idea how they managed to have a credit card but can't dodge a red circle.

  3. #683
    Game Journalist Reputation: 75
    Abubakr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,272
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I've had a tank that just ran around in circles and at times just watched us fight while or conjurer did the tanking.

  4. #684
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 278
    Candyholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    bel sverige
    Posts
    9,588
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post
    Hence why I would rather skip the game instead of buying it and then crying on the FF14 forums that the game isn't catering to my every whim like some people tend to do. Still interesting to have a discussion about the game though.
    you can avoid group content all together, but don't expect to ever be able to do any group content, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

  5. #685
    やめてください! Reputation: 296
    Orpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    9,644
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Forced Group Content isn't even that bad, I have progressed up to level 35 on my Story Quest using DF so far and most of the times every dungeon can be cleared in a single run with no wipes. The first I WANT TO QUIT THIS GAME group experience comes at level 35 and it's an optional dungeon. Can't wait to try harder dungeons because really, they are fun and challenging.

  6. #686
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Mogcast2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post
    Thank you for your stunning contribution to this discussion, your argument has changed my life and is a brilliant example of your overwhelming intellect.

    Now that that's out of the way, if I could think of a single player game on PC that had a style of game play similar to that of an MMO I actually would be playing it. Skyrim is the only one I can think of and I'm honestly just not that fond of the game. MMO's tend to have a different feel to them than single player games even when you're looking purely at the core design. I like grinding, I like crafting, I especially like being able to talk to people when I'm just hanging out somewhere, and those things are sorely lacking in single player games. With the exception of crafting (which normally isn't very good in single or multiplayer games honestly) it's very hard to get a single player game that feels like an MMO, especially with the lack of ability to chat with a guild while playing a single player game.



    I would never expect a dungeon to be able to be solo'd, I was more talking about the fact that you get forced to do them in the first place. In WoW I can totally avoid instances for the entire game if I choose, there's plenty of things to do while leveling, and the main story never forces group content. At the end of the game there is also plenty to do with crafting, rep grinding, pet battles, archaeology, pet collecting, mount collecting, and a few others I'm not thinking of right now. While FF14 is a new (sort of) game and having as many minigames can't be expected, the idea that group content is forced is what disappoints me. There should always be alternatives for people who dislike groups, even if those alternatives aren't as rewarding.



    Hence why I would rather skip the game instead of buying it and then crying on the FF14 forums that the game isn't catering to my every whim like some people tend to do. Still interesting to have a discussion about the game though.
    You could just fate grind and skip dungeons all together. You could also master a crafting profession (or several) sell everything you create and buy the items you would need for group content in the auction house. The thing I like about the job system is that you can easily switch jobs by simply equipping a different weapon.

    It's your choice to buy the game or not though. If you enjoy MMO's I would recommend it. If being forced to do group content is the only thing holding you back from trying it out, I wouldn't let it. At the end of the day though, it's your choice. Read up some more about it and, better yet, watch some videos and come to your own conclusion. When you ask if you should buy the game or not your usually going to get either person A who enjoys it and will defend it until death or B the person who doesn't enjoy it and will defend him or herself to death.

    If you have the extra cash and want to find out for yourself, I suggest you do. You get a free month and if something ever comes into the game that you think you might enjoy you can always resub and try it out.

  7. #687
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Mogcast2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Final Fantasy XIV ARR: Discussion

    I wanted to make this so we wouldn't be going to several posts to find out what server everyone will be on.

    Who's playing and on what Server? I'm making my character tonight and if I find someone to join me I'll play, if not I'll wait until tomorrow. Feel free to merge this with another topic of you need to.

    If you would like, join us at www.mogcast.com We are creating a nice little community/media site.

    Update 9/30/2013

    Final Fantasy XIV Updates and Patch notes will be edited into this thread from now on as soon as I get the info.

  8. #688
    Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 22
    sutasafaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogcast View Post
    You could just fate grind and skip dungeons all together. You could also master a crafting profession (or several) sell everything you create and buy the items you would need for group content in the auction house. The thing I like about the job system is that you can easily switch jobs by simply equipping a different weapon.

    It's your choice to buy the game or not though. If you enjoy MMO's I would recommend it. If being forced to do group content is the only thing holding you back from trying it out, I wouldn't let it. At the end of the day though, it's your choice. Read up some more about it and, better yet, watch some videos and come to your own conclusion. When you ask if you should buy the game or not your usually going to get either person A who enjoys it and will defend it until death or B the person who doesn't enjoy it and will defend him or herself to death.

    If you have the extra cash and want to find out for yourself, I suggest you do. You get a free month and if something ever comes into the game that you think you might enjoy you can always resub and try it out.
    I was under the impression you absolutely had to go into instances or you can't continue with the story, including unlocking classes and professions, getting into one of the three big guilds, unlocking later quests, basically everything stops working until you instance. If that isn't the case I may give it a look at some point, but the way it was described to me by a friend (who may have just been mistaken apparently) was that you basically get locked out of everything if you skip the instances. If they were wrong, what exactly are you missing by skipping instances? I'm guessing he was right in saying that the main quest line is gone, which I imagine to be a fairly substantial bit of the game.

    I do tend to agree though, getting opinions on a game is fairly difficult sometimes, it's one of the reasons I come to these forums. Everybody is biased to some degree or another but I seem to find that most people here are more or less helpful to some extent. I have been watching plenty of YT videos already, the game in and of itself is fine for me, I like WoW for the most part so I figure this game will be a fairly similar experience as far as the base game goes.

    As you said though, the idea of being locked out of content is a stopping point for me. It does depend on just what is being missed though. How many instances are required? I've seen some people say three, some people say upwards of fifteen. If it was only three tutorial instances I could live with just doing them, but the idea of so many, especially apparently raids later on...

  9. #689
    やめてください! Reputation: 296
    Orpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    9,644
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    IIRC there are 9 - 10 mandatory instances and 3 trials (trials are instanced single boss fights that require a party). You DO get locked out from a lot of stuff by not following the story quest (getting into a Grand Company, getting your chocobo, etc.) so even though you can get to level 50 by ignoring dungeons, it will be a pain.

  10. #690
    500+ Posts???? Reputation: 10
    mattman994's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, IN
    Posts
    523
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogcast2 View Post
    I wanted to make this so we wouldn't be going to several posts to find out what server everyone will be on.

    Who's playing and on what Server? I'm making my character tonight and if I find someone to join me I'll play, if not I'll wait until tomorrow. Feel free to merge this with another topic of you need to.

    If you would like, join us at www.mogcast.com We are creating a nice little community/media site.

    Update 9/30/2013

    Final Fantasy XIV Updates and Patch notes will be edited into this thread from now on as soon as I get the info.
    Welp I'm on Faerie. Can't really play with ya though till ya hit 15, since that's my lowest level job. Ever need any thing for the site jsut let me know. Got a pretty good sense of how endgame is and all that jazz.

Page 69 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •