Thread: Would calling a girl "ma'am" be considered a "smart" insult?

TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Default Would calling a girl "ma'am" be considered a "smart" insult?

Usually "ma'am" is considered a polite thing to say, but it also somewhat insinuate that the female is old.

So it is smart in a sense that you can insult someone with it, and they probably won't take it as an insult even though it might hurt a little within.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640

It only works as sarcasm and sarcasm is the weapon of the weak.

Thus it is neither smart nor much of an insult.
    The severity of verbal agressions lies much in the intent to hurt, over the hurtfulness itself.
    90% of all insults can be countered with "can you please act less childish".
    Last edited by Ronin; 10-08-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Stay frosty.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 125

i always say yes ma'am to a female i dont mean no harm by it

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

Did you just ask the forum a question and then answer it?

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 120

I've always thought it was weird and stupid how Ma'am is being taken as the person being old in the past couple of years, It's the same word as Sir but for women, yet i've never really seen that same stigma be applied to Sir(atleast not as bad), i'm 28 and get called sir frequently and also use it quite a bit in a formal manner, it seems like everyone has forgotten the meaning of ma'am.

But no i don't see how it could be much of a insult.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

"Ma'am, miss, madam, sir and etc." I don't ****ing care. I am trying to be polite here(!!!) and if you by some chance take offense then kindly go **** yourself.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

this must be a 'murica thing. I think all they call women over here is "miss", like "excuse me miss". Then there's "bird", "chick", "babe", "treacle", "lass", "wench", "totty", "doll", "slag", "sket"...

Yeah I don't think calling someone "ma'am" is going to offend them.

I answered it based on my own views. I also want other people's views on this.

Game Journalist Reputation: 484

Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    this must be a 'murica thing. I think all they call women over here is "miss", like "excuse me miss". Then there's "bird", "chick", "babe", "treacle", "lass", "wench", "totty", "doll", "slag", "sket"...

Yeah I don't think calling someone "ma'am" is going to offend them.
    In America, miss is used for young ladies (children and teens). Ms (pronounced mizz)is used for an adult single women. Ma'am for "older" women (married or single), but at the end of a sentence, question, etc... Mrs for married women.

Because Ma'am is usually used to refer to women who are older and in positions of power that deserve respect (ie judges, police officers, teachers, etc...), if you use the correct tone, you can imply that you're saying that the person is old (which most women seem to be bothered by their age), or that they're to strict/no fun.

If you just say it with a normal tone, most women will take it as you being polite. Some psychos will say something like, "I'm only XX years old, I'm not a ma'am yet!" or something, but they're not the norm.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or *******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Forum PvPer Reputation: 241

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    In America, miss is used for young ladies (children and teens). Ms (pronounced mizz)is used for an adult single women. Ma'am for "older" women (married or single), but at the end of a sentence, question, etc... Mrs for married women.
    In the southern part of the united states, speaking mainly of Georgia as that is where I was born, ma'am is used for all women of all ages and is the most polite thing you can say. Holding a door open for a young lady? "Here you go, ma'am." Seeing an old lady struggle to reach the top shelve? "Let me help you, ma'am." Ma'am is breed into Georgian boys from a young age.

I actually got into a conversation with a guy from Boston yesterday and he mentioned how most women in the north react poorly to being called ma'am. Suggested that when I visit I call women--of any age--miss instead.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Loric's Lunatic Reputation: 116

Growing up in a military family, you learn to ma'am and sir at a young age. It's just stuck with me and anyone that thinks its an insult or tries to use it as one is an idiot.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 16

I say yes sir,no sir and yes ma'am,no ma'am to just about everyone. Never had a complaint. Most people take it as being polite. I had a few people from up North say they love the Southern politeness/hospitality thing. I live in Tennessee btw.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i always say yes ma'am to a female i dont mean no harm by it
    yeah.. I agree with you.. there's no ohter what is meant to say " ma'am to lady.
    Factoring Network will connect your Business or Industry directly to a factoring account manager experienced in the application process for your specific business financial needs.   CALL US or complete the “Quick Apply” to get started. We offer you the quickest and most simple way to factor your company’s accounts receivable.
    Factoring Company

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640

Quote Originally Posted by sinnful View Post
    Growing up in a military family, you learn to ma'am and sir at a young age. It's just stuck with me and anyone that thinks its an insult or tries to use it as one is an idiot.
    So in the US they also say ma'am to preadolescent woman, eg. girls, which is the age of 0 up to 19, probably? That sounds just odd to me, but what do I know, it's a foreign language to me.
    Last edited by Ronin; 10-09-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Stay frosty.

Game Journalist Reputation: 484

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    So in the US they also say ma'am to preadolescent woman, eg. girls, which is the age of 0 up to 19, probably? That sounds just odd to me, but what do I know, it's a foreign language to me.
    The US is massive and different places do it different ways. In the midwest, where I live, it's miss to young women (kids, teens, 20-or so year olds), and then ma'am for adult women. If you wanted to make a woman feel young, you might call her miss, if she's young and you wanted to compliment her maturity you'd say ma'am.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or *******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

No I don't think so.. This is actually reason.. Yeah, many of us may be feel more...

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

If someone feels insulted by what you've said, its an insult. Regardless of how you meant it.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 82
    That place where depressed people go when they can't take any more...you know, the library.

I never liked the idea behind insulting people by pointing out that they're getting older or are old.
    OR someone being insulted when they're reminded of their age.
    They say with age comes wisdom and all that junk, so why should being older be such an insult?
    I guess it is for women because of the whole beauty and wrinkles and crap like that, and maybe with guys being bald...?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    I never liked the idea behind insulting people by pointing out that they're getting older or are old.
    OR someone being insulted when they're reminded of their age.
    They say with age comes wisdom and all that junk, so why should being older be such an insult?
    I guess it is for women because of the whole beauty and wrinkles and crap like that, and maybe with guys being bald...?
    You don't need to be old to go bald as a guy. Sad people just cling to their last strands of hair not to be bald and end up looking like creepy pedos. Just go bald and embrace it dammit!
    Last edited by marcipaans; 10-13-2013 at 09:15 PM.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 82
    That place where depressed people go when they can't take any more...you know, the library.

Quote Originally Posted by marcipaans View Post
    You don't need to be old to go bald as a guy. Sad people just cling to their last strands of hair not to be bold and end up looking like creepy pedos. Just go bald and embrace it dammit!
    I like that attitude.
    Embrace the bald!
    Shine it up!
    Paint pictures on it!
    Hair isn't holding you back, so go crazy!!! 8D

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 10
    Where ever you will live, I will find you

Calling a ma'am here in our country is very common to a any woman if you didn't know this girl. It's a sign of respect instead of calling Miss or hey..

Quote Originally Posted by JigsawPuzzle View Post
    Calling a ma'am here in our country is very common to a any woman if you didn't know this girl. It's a sign of respect instead of calling Miss or hey..
    What Country

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    What Country
    Youdubybakastan