"Action" Gameplay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 66

Default "Action" Gameplay

I am starting to get a little confused by people throwing the word "action" around when describing a game.
    It seems action gameplay can mean anything from flashy turned based and slow RTS to skill based free aiming.

What does a game have to have for you to consider it an action game?

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 32

If moves are in real time and have to physically connect to do damage, and combatants can move freely, it meets the bare minimum requirements for "action".

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 114

Action to me is anything that revolves around twitch gameplay. Which is gameplay that tests both a player's ability to react and their reaction time. I would never qualify any slow turn-based gameplay as an action game.

Turn based games can be action games if they are played extremely fast. I'm talking 10 seconds to make a choice or you forfeit your turn fast. When games like that are played at a faster pace it makes the game more intense and tests the players abilities. Mostly though I would say that an action game should be classified by free movement and free aiming skills. First and third person shooters are action games.

Game Journalist Reputation: 346

Action is, as others have said, combat that is not turn or solely stat/roll based. For example, traditional MMORPG combat is just a series of rolls with stat/skill modifiers. Your stats vs their stats, basically. In action, you have to aim your attacks correctly, actively move/dodge/ or anything else that makes it "action" rather than solely based on the roll of a die.

Games like LoL/DoTA2, Path of Exile, Tera, etc... have what is considered action combat because to actually do damage or hit someone, you have to actually hit them.

People get really confused when it comes to naming the genre of a game, I've seen. And some of the games are named as genres that don't really make much sense. The reason for this is because it's possible for one game to have characteristics of a genre, but not actually be apart of that genre.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[1/25]----------(New Post! ArcheAge!)[3/7]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 27

Mouse controlled camera.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Well I'd say there is "Fast-Paced" and "Non-Target".

Action = Fast-Paced + Non-Target

Non-Target means you need to aim yourself and you can also dodge attacks. It's best explained in examples. For example in World of Warcraft, if someone throws a fireball at you, it will always connect even if you run sideways or jump around. In Non-Target games this wouldn't happen, the fireball would just take a pre-defined path and if you walk out of it, you won't be hit by it either.
    As for aim yourself... imagine you stand next to a monster, in normal MMORPG you can log onto it and press "attack" hotkey and it will always hit that monster. In non-target if you are facing the wrong direction when attacking, you won't hit the monster at all, you first need to turn around.

Also for me personally a good action MMORPG should always be playable with a Gamepad. If you require a mouse it's an indication that it's not very action-y usually.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    What does a game have to have for you to consider it an action game?
    Combo-system (e.g. chaining hit-stuns) and dodge/evade feature and able to hit laggers.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

I'm wondering if I should add Guild Wars 2 to the action MMORPG list, what's your opinion? Is it an non-target/action MMORPG? It seems quite like Tera in terms of gameplay. So I guess if I consider Tera an action MMORPG we should consider Guild Wars 2 as well, right?

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 66

Guild Wars 2 isn't really action. It's a MMO without tanks or healers meaning it requires players to dodge/not stand in s#!t a lot more than other tab target games.
    I would personally list it as a Tab-Target ClusterF#ck.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I'm wondering if I should add Guild Wars 2 to the action MMORPG list
    I consider it an action game. Certainly the thief feels fast-paced with haste and shadowstep and backstab and dodge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast