Dark Age of Camelot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

ya.. maybe doing pvp is different for different people. Apoca, you may be going about pvp in the wrong way. To enjoy pvp means to enjoy winning the battle before it begins. it means knowing every formula in as much detail as possible, knowing every combo, knowing every spell and how it works, and its weaknesses and strengths.

for example, in neverwinter nights, i know precisely how to calculate the save for a spell cast by a level 20 mage against a level 20 barbarian. the save is based on Charisma score+10 against the barbarians Wisdom stat+1d20, adjusted for any racial bonuses. I know, for example, that a wisdom-based spell will work well against a Barb because barb's need to have low Wisdom Stats in order to boost their Strength stat up. A wisdom-based spell will not work well against a Cleric whose primary stat is Wisdom.

Cumulatively, basically, in Regnum and DAOC style mmos, knowing all those details means I can plan to win and know precisely when I will win and when I will lose even before the fight begins. This is the fun of playing regnum/daoc style mmos.

You can't do that in Tera/action mmos or asian mmos because they never disclose all the formulas for 2 reasons 1) usually they alter it without telling people and 2) because their formulas are full of bugs they do not want to fix. Such games are not for hardcore thorough pvpers who like DAOC style pvp. (even WoW style pvp is acceptable in this way, but the spell structure is not nice in WoW).

so yea, to really get in DAOC means you gotta be hungry to win, gotta be hungry to kill - and not be daunted by little things like spell interrupts and so on. You gotta be ready to die to learn. You gotta be ready to be Number One. (spell interuupts in NWN is calculated vs Concentration skill check which which Concentration discpile+1d20 vs the damage caused by the spell. thats how detailed you want to get to)

There are no easy solutions, no easy wins in PvP. That is why PvP mmos are the best long term entertainment. (Dota does this by having scores of heroes, which means the solution takes years to figure out)

I told my friend about Champions of Regnum on steam, and they seemed interested. Not sure if we'll try it out or not. I'm not sure if its population is any better than DAOC is, currently. Plus I think Regnum is a bit more shallow in terms of content (less classes/races and the world isn't as big, I think). Plus the grind in Regnum is a lot worse
    some remarks on your observations above
    1) Regnum is more of a mini-scaled down version of DAOC. DAOC's map is much larger.
    2) Regnum's grind to max level may be more than DAOC, but everyone is much closer to the main war and you can capably face pvp at lvl 25+, which is only 8-10 hours solo questing. DAOC's war can be spread out into little groups all over the map. This isn't bad, it's just different.
    3) You do not need to be max level in either DAOC or Regnum to enjoy pvp. I believe both of them are well structured so that you actually know how to benchmark your pvp ability below max level.
    4) Regnum doesn't need DAOC's population to be enjoyable. In fact, many mmo pvp games do really well with 300-1,000 per server, which is Regnum's sweet spot. See population list ranking here for steam games :-
    http://steamcharts.com/top
    5) Regnum does not have the skating combat effect.
    6) Regnum does not have a subscription. (DAOC Classic is free though)
    Last edited by queenvoo; 10-15-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 43

what you are experiencing is the "build a pty or gtfo" feature

as a caster you need someone to tank for you, since the only way to actually successfully cast is 1) have a tank 2) use your quickcast ( 20s cd if i remember right) 3) use your CC spells

so if you are solo you should start at max range with your bolt ( 1800 range) then follow up with DD-nukes ( 2 * ) and complete with a Root ( in your suppression tree ) then walk away and cast 2 more DD-Nukes which should easily finish everything yellow/orange.
    later on you can improve your casting through your RR-abilities ( higher chance of not getting interrupted, Clearcast reset and so on )

as a runemaster you have 3 paths to chose: 1) runecasting -> 2 bolts very high initial dmg, falls off fast (your standart nuke is only soso) but best AoE dmg ( the spears from the sky look awesome :P ) 2) shadow -> very high overall dmg since the nukes are top notch but no aoe dmg 3) suppression ( if i remember the name correctly) this one is the party line. you get a bubble that protects the whole pty from 1 hit, in higher lvls you unlock the bubble chant which refreshes the bubble every X seconds automatically for the whole pty. the snare-DD and the bubble are quite comfortable, though you have no good dmg.

basically if you are totally new to the game a spiritmaster would have been easier since it has a pet and you can just specc the PBAE line which does trememdeous dmg. the easiest casters to solo with are theurgists and sorcerers from albion since they both have pets and are innately strong (even in newer hands) sorcerer is an EXCELLENT pvp class to top it off. theurgs and sorcs are follow by kabbalists, spiritmasters and enchanters since they have summonable pets.

classic servers = the game as it was before they released trials of atlantis, so no artifacts, no MLs and no super-new classes like banshee/vampire/marauder/heretic. artifacts made the game a bit imbalanced and put a lot of people off.

for those who have played daoc back in the days 6+ of each faction feels deserted. back then we had like 20-40v20-40v20-40 every evening in thidranki (the first BG) alone and emaine and so on were swarmed with giant pvp-raids (..zergs :P ) which were coordinated over chat ( stealth groups who had to do recon and report to other grps and so on )

oh and lvling isnt gonna be much more difficult. game was never that hard to lvl. try to visit the dungeons for your lvl with a 4-5 people pty and you'll breeze through

p.s. the race was called lurikeen
    p.p.s daoc is what regnum wanted to be
    Last edited by Unplayed; 10-15-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Kritika Online
    Server: 보야카 - Guild: Guardians

Finster - Shadow Mage | Funken - Mystic Wolf
    Blutig - Crimson Assassin

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Thanks for the info, Unplayed Ill rep you once im at my comp later.

The numbers i posted were at 3-5am in the USA. I imagine they might be better at primetime. I may try re-rolling again, but not sure yet.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

haha you're welcome

in my eyes daoc was one of the greatest mmorpgs, since it heavily inclined the people to party. Without a party you are basically nothing ( without a few exceptions, like RR10 Sorcs ) so you really needed a good guild/alliance and a good friendslist to enjoy the game to its fullest. basically Rise of atlantis was the downfall of DAoC because it implemented the solo stuff where you camped mobs for hours to get artifact scrolls/materials removing the need for a pty to do something meaningful. before RoA was released everyone and their mother were partying all day everyday to help out guildies/friends, pvp raids or to unlock Darkness Falls for your realm ( when you have the most keeps under your realms' control a special dungeon opens for the "leading" realm so when you wanted to have an especially good lvl/loot filled evening you first had to open DF if it wasnt open and then fight through DF to chase out the other realm which was occupying it. so much fun )

had a long discussion with guild mates from my old daoc guilds and we came to the conclusion that nowadays a game like daoc wouldnt be possible anymore since people wouldnt invest the time any more. you had to do all the things the "hard" way. creating a pty through region chat which only reached the region you were in ( thats why you needed the big flist/guild/alliance to always get a full pty ) the "group finder" only showed up people who were searching for a spot in a pty no matter where they were(+ you had to ask them nicely per /whisper if they want to join your pty), so to reach the party's spot you had to ride/run for 15m sometimes. Most of the times it was easier to just go with /who <region> and just /msg random people and ask them if they wanted to join your pty (talking to people fixes a lot of problems ;D ). since there was no map you had to use coordinates and a compass to navigate over to the party. if someone didnt find you, the pty set out to pick him up, some of the best spots you couldnt reach solo so the pty HAD to pick you up, resulting in a 5 min walk to the new member and 5 mins back to the spot. that actually nurtured the bonds of the people and you very seldom had people who were selfcentered, rude or just plain assholes. the easier and more comfortable the game becomes the less bonds people form and bonds are what create the best experiences in MMORPGs.

good times, good times
    Last edited by Unplayed; 10-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Kritika Online

Arri's Animal Reputation: 99

Classic Servers did allow all classes and races (Even Vamps, Banshees, etc), but it did not have Trials of Atlantis content, Artifacts, ML's, Unlimited Buff Bots, /level 20-25-30, etc. It still had issues with imbalances such as Vamps and their self buffs for example, but overall it was a more balanced version of the game and felt less cookie-cutter/grindy.

As for leveling you can level very fast in DAoC if you concentrate on Task Dungeons, Bounties, and learn the level specific PvE grind spots. Leveling in BG's and NF can be very quick if you have a solid team. If I still had my account I could probably powerlevel you from 1-50 in around 4hrs or so with my Warlock. Quicker if I had my Shaman friend pulling with a full group. Every realm has a PL spot that is silly fast. Unless it's changed Vamp is still the fastest leveler of any class when solo.

I myself played Midgard on Gareth (Classic Server later became part of Bossiney Cluster before they removed the servers from the game) and heavily concentrated on Stealth classes. Hunter (Kobold Spear Hunter FTW!) was my main for years even when we sucked hardcore. I was never much of a caster fan in DAoC, but to be fair I never really like caster classes very often. A Thane in Midgard was the closest to a caster I ever played in RvR. My Warlock was solely for tradeskills and PL'ing friends. Before Classic Servers/TOA debacle I was Midgard on Bedevere at launch.

My love for DAoC is why I went in on the Camelot Unchained kickstarter which will be an RvR-centric game coming out in 2015. I start Alpha testing it about mid next year.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

Currently Testing: The Elder Scrolls Online & WildStar & Hearthstone

Game: TBA
    Character: TBA
    Guild: TBA
    Server: TBA

Support cinderboy: MMO*Culture BLOG

Camelot Unchained Official Site

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Unplayed View Post
    ... p.p.s daoc is what regnum wanted to be
    lol yup. but i think ngd wanted a scaled down version of daoc classic. and that's what regnum is.

Quote Originally Posted by Unplayed View Post
    had a long discussion with guild mates from my old daoc guilds and we came to the conclusion that nowadays a game like daoc wouldnt be possible anymore since people wouldnt invest the time any more....
    also, every new mmo requires players to learn an entire new combat system. daoc/regnum's combat system is not shallow, but even changing to silkroad/rift/tera, players have to put in a lot of hours to get good in pvp.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

not talking about the combat system in my post. tbh the combat systems of the currently released games arent that difficult to grasp/learn. talking about all of the social stuff daoc required you to do instead of just pressing a button and everything is done automatically, relieving you of the duty to communicate with others or actually DO things for others without getting a lot in return ( at least in physical stuff ).
    Kritika Online

I'm going to re-roll a melee class either tonight or tomorrow. Playing a Runemaster is kinda nice, but is giving me a headache. It'll be easier once I'm more familiar with the game and its concepts.

What class would you suggest for Midgard, Unplayed? I'm looking for something melee that either does enough burst damage to take out at least one enemy before I die, or can survive long enough in a fight to actually make a difference to make up for my newbieness.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

basically all classes can do that. mb you want to try a thane. a thane is a mix of a caster and a warrior who can cast down lightning to weaken his foes before kicking their ass with his weapon
    or you could always try out a 2h shadowblade (stealth assassin). the definition of burstiness but it starts pretty slow and weak till like 25.

one of my favourite classes is the savage, featuring hand to hand combat. savages have very strong selfbuffs, their hand to hand abilities have very interesting innate effects ( like aoe or debuffs) and h2h has the ability to do multihits resulting in up to 4 hits per attack.i still remember the days when i could take on rr5- people without skills with my rr9l7 savage <3 ( i bet they were nerfed since then but they should still be quite strong)

if you just want something easy then go for a bonedancer, a bonedancer is a caster but he gets his own pocket healer army (if you go down the suppression line)

edith says:
    oh i forgot to mention that i can't tell you a thing about the new classes valkyrie and mauler since they got implemented after my time.

valkyrie's are sort of a hybrid class of a thane and a healer. maulers are .. idk looks a bit like an albion monk but a bit more on the dmg side of things.
    Last edited by Unplayed; 10-17-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    Kritika Online

I remember Valk being suggested by my friend. I might try that out. That or a Shadow. Bonedancer was also mentioned so I might look into that as well.

Do you know anything about Vamps?
    -Cingal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast