Outbreak Company

Game Journalist Reputation: 394

Default Outbreak Company

I've been putting off watching this one because I figured it'd be nothing but gags and harem with a plethora of chibi nonsense. However, I got bored tonight and watched all three available episodes and I'm pretty happy to say I was wrong. While there is a gag/harem feel to it, the story also has some seriousness to it (at least as much seriousness as there can be with this sort of story). So far it's seemed to strike a perfect balance for me and I've been able to enjoy it thoroughly and I can't wait for the next episode to be made available.

Anyone else watching? Thoughts?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 181

Having a light novel author father and an eroge illustrator mother, Kanou Shinichi is a thoroughbred otaku. However he does not have any special power except for his broad knowledge, sharp insight, and impeccable instinct about "MOE" and its products, from manga to anime to games to light novel to figures. One day he found himself transported to a fantasy world where elves live and dragons fly. And he is given a task—not to fight monster or embark on a quest, but to enhance cultural exchange by becoming a "moe missionary" in this fantasy world! He meets a palace guard who has a bit of fujoshi taste, a half-elf maid, and the empress who is a little girl. He comes up with the idea of building a school. At first it runs as a comedy but later there are serious matters that Shinichi needs to face: ethnic discrimination, social problems, conflict with neighboring countries, sabotage by opposition elements including Japanese government, etc. Can he overcome the obstacles, successfully bring "moe" culture to the fantasy world, and help the people there as well?
    Read more at http://myanimelist.net/anime/19369/O...5YODHVtcsJY.99
    Well, i guess i could give it a try? Doesn't look like my thing tho.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I agree. At first I thought it was gonna be filled with gags and chibi and what nots (which I don't mind at all), but as the episode(s) progressed it actually seems quite interesting, I look forward to the episodes to come.
    "Different conclusions are reached when one fact is viewed from two separate points of view. When that happens, there is no immediate way to judge which point of view is the correct one. There is no way to conclude one's own conclusion is the correct one. But for that exact reason, it is also premature to decide one's own conclusion is wrong." - Senjougahara Hitagi

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 38

Definitely agree. I looked this up on myanimelist and it doesnt seem to match my liking according to the genre listed.

Decided to watch it anyway and glad i did

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour

Quote Originally Posted by OooRangee View Post
    Well, i guess i could give it a try? Doesn't look like my thing tho.
    Did you watch it yet? How did you like it?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]

Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 181

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Did you watch it yet? How did you like it?
    Just finished the first episode.

Well, how should i put this.
    I can't really understand yet how serious this anime is. Can't denie that i did not enjoy the first episode because of the characters but by the first episode i can't really figure out what will come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by OooRangee View Post
    Just finished the first episode.

Well, how should i put this.
    I can't really understand yet how serious this anime is. Can't denie that i did not enjoy the first episode because of the characters but by the first episode i can't really figure out what will come out of it.
    The anime isn't 100% serious, but you can tell the writers put at least some thought into the fantasy world. Like I said, there is some harem (which means that it's a bit echii/erotic sometimes), and a bit of a gag anime as well so it doesn't take itself to serious most of the time. However, there are serious bits (fight scenes with actual tension, the artwork and animation is crisp, you feel for the characters), etc... If you're someone who likes anime/manga, the story will sort of appeal to you as well.

What I found neat is that the main character is really thinking about how do you introduce Japanese anime/manga in a place where a majority of the population is illiterate and lots of them are treated no better than slaves. Most of the population has to spend time in the countries military, as well. How do you bring anime/manga to a population that does not speak Japanese, cannot read or write in any language (so you can't even translate it to their language as they'd have no chance of reading it due to being illiterate), and just has no free time because they're either training for the military or helping out on a farm/shop/etc...

As you watch the other episodes, you'll notice other serious stuff revolving the culture and how our modern-day culture (which is pretty much required to enjoy anime/manga and for it to be a successful business) clashes with this medieval/fantasy culture. For example, in one of the early episodes (I think it's three), the protagonist has the idea to use a school to teach the people of this land. He has plans to open it up to both nobles and commoners/peasants. This is not taken very well by the nobles as having a literate and educate population isn't good for keeping them in line.

So, you have serious and thought-provoking topics like that, mixed with gag/harem stuff such as a three-way romance with a big-breasted (and cute/kind) maid/servant/slave and the all-powerful queen of the land who is sixteen and is a tsundere loli who likes to sit in the protagonist lap as he reads her manga.

Generally, I would immediately stop watching a gag/harem anime as I truly do hate time-waster type anime/manga that have no real purpose or story. However, this anime has an actual story that has serious elements to it to help balance it out. Because of that balance, I am able to enjoy this anime a lot more than I even expected I could.

Of course, it's possible for the anime to go down hill. Right now there's only 3 episodes out, and it's very possible that the quality will drop drastically as the story progresses. I am hoping this anime only last 12 or 26 episodes and then we never see anything from it again. I fear it'll turn into a filler-filled nightmare if it lasts any longer, like most other animes. If the creators have a set amount of episodes to work the story into, they'll usually do as much as they can with them rather than waste it away with useless filler episodes that do nothing for the progression of the story.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 10-21-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    -Cingal

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 34

i like the show but i didn't expect things to get so serious as it did in episode 3 at least not this quickly, but i guess a major event is needed to change the minds of others sometimes

the show made me feel a little tricked i got lured in by all the cute girls and loli's and now its serious business talking about treating people equally regardless of race or background (not that i think this is a bad thing and based on some of the things in episode 2 or 3 i think this is a necessary change)
    Last edited by chris183; 10-22-2013 at 06:34 AM.

I liked episode 4. It wasn't so serious, and was a bit more gag/harem. However, it still had the serious undertones that I like about the series. More information about the fantasy world that this takes place in is revealed, a new primary character, a bit of tolerance/equality experienced, and some other neat stuff. I like the way the series is going, and I hope it keeps on this track.
    -Cingal

This latest episode was hilarious :P Reminded me of exactly what an anime/manga fan, who has only learned about Japan via fiction, visiting for the first time might feel like.
    -Cingal