Appeal of trading card games?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 27

Default Appeal of trading card games?

Hi guys. Personally, ive never liked trading card games. As a kid, I bought my pokemon cards as we all did but I never really did anything with them.
    Now that I see all these cash cow virtual pc trading card games and people flocking to them, im puzzled.
    in no way is this thread bashing on the trading card games because I know that they appeal to a certain audience. Im only curious as to what appeal they bring to each of you personally.
    Well, reply away!

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I've honestly never gotten into a TCG past my days in Elementary/Middle School. However, I have reviewed several computer-based TCGs since I've started writing for OnRPG. The games appeal to me, in a way, because of the strategy involved and the collecting aspect. People like to collect things (tho I've never been the type to want to collect stuff, which is why I don't get into TCGs in my spare time I guess). The battling mechanics can be quite fun, especially in a computer-based TCG where the game can have animations and the gameboard can be very interesting to look at (with moving/changing parts).

I personally like any game that can challenge my mind. I enjoy min-maxing in games, finding the perfect build for my characters (or in terms of TCG, my deck). So I would say the appeal that TCGs have for me is the strategy involved and the challenge of having to deal with the "luck of the draw."
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 21

Adding onto what Apoca said, i personally believe that the simplicity of TCGs is a huge factor as well because it's one of the few genres where you don't need to memorize 100 hotkeys just to be efficient at the game nor do you need to pump actions out every 2 seconds, you can sit back, take your time and plan as much as you want which is also why i love turn-based systems outside of TCGs.

Another thing that i can also add is the casual nature of TCGs, the games are usually pretty short allowing for someone to play one game in those few minutes before work or whatever.

+ The community in TCGs is pretty good however just like every other genre out there, you still have those few people but i find the ratio of good to bad in the TCG community to be pretty high.

But, overall i think Apoca really nailed the core elements of what makes TCGs either attractive or repulsive for most people :P

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

The only reason why TCGs are popping up now is because they figured out that digital TCGs are an easy way to make a lot of money.

That's unrelated to the appeal, though.

I'm not really sure what the appeal really is for me, I really like to play Magic The Gathering... I guess it's because it's relaxing and strategical and it's fun to trick your opponent and win?
    Actually, it's that I usually play RPGs... but they are massive and require you to read lots of stuff and plan builds and that gets tiresome after a while. So then I go play shoot 'em ups. No reading at all! Just pure arcade fun. But those require reflexes and no strategical planning. So sometimes I don't feel like action either. And here TCGs are perfect. They are not action, require strategical thinking, but I don't need to read any dialogues or play builds (just use my premade card deck).

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki3ait View Post
    Im only curious as to what appeal they bring to each of you personally.
    Nostalgia. My Mom bought me some trading cards because I begged her to buy me some, and I was all happy. But when I got to school they weren't the brand that the kids at school had, and my Mom got sad when I told her and bought me the right ones and she's dead now.

Also one of my friends is into MTG so I always tell him how great and cool his newest deck-variations are.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Nostalgia. My Mom bought me some trading cards because I begged her to buy me some, and I was all happy. But when I got to school they weren't the brand that the kids at school had, and my Mom got sad when I told her and bought me the right ones and she's dead now.

Also one of my friends is into MTG so I always tell him how great and cool his newest deck-variations are.
    I tried to get into MTG for a while in High School, but didn't stick with it. The only card shop I knew of closed down the same year I got into the game (a few months before that, actually) and the only place that sold the cards was the local Slackers. Unfortunately (at least in my town), Slackers was the kind of place where the hipster-type nerds hung out which is a group I don't fit well with, so I just gave up.

There's a small gaming shop in the town I live in now, but eh. I've never been the type to go into one so I feel like it would be awkward.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

The appeal was they were the only form of gaming I could get into my school. LOL

But in person playing was always fun.
    If you are bored...

Check out my newsletter & blog here.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 97

Another point the others missed was that CCG's have an ever changing meta game, so it keeps things fresh on a regular basis. MTG does a good job of this but sometimes their 'chase' cards (super expensive/good cards of the set) are too good. IE: Voice of Resurgence.

Though even with this, some games can still fall. YGO for example. has made an effort of making many older play-styles either simply being completely obsolete, or REQUIRING a particular new set's tribe (Think Goblins\elves if you know MTG)

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 22

I enjoy Trading Card Games for their collectibility, strategy, gameplay, artwork and nostalgia. I've mostly been disappointed with digital card games though. The card games for PC/iOS/Android are usually too simple, energy based, extremely Pay to Win and don't have any form of trading.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

A good TCG is hardly ever actually simple. MTG may look somewhat simple looking from the outside and in casual games, but it has a deep complexity and strategy. It's what makes it the most popular TCG on the market. The availability of being simple when wanted and to be as complex and strategic as wanted. Thats what i like about TCG's. As well as the collection aspect, artwork, community, actual event coverage (some of the best ive seen for any type of gaming, up to par with pro FPS/MOBA games in terms of quality.) Some of that is specific to MTG, but ive tried to branch into others. Most just dont cut it like MTG does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast