Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (Korean Light Novel)

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (Korean Light Novel)

Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, or LMS, is a light novel from Korea that has been fan-translated (for the most part). Currently, as far as I know, there are no plans to officially translate it and in the past the creator has even given consent for its translation by fans.

I love this light novel because it is set in what could be summed up as my dream MMO. It's an equal mix of story/quest-driven experience, mixed with sandbox elements. To top it off, it's a virtual reality game, where a users real life abilities bleed into the game, and the abilities gained in the game can bleed over to real life (to a lesser extent). Unfortunately, this Light Novel is fairly unknown so I figured I'd make a thread here to share it (even tho I, or other users, may have made threads for it in the past... I can't remember).

The game in question is called Royal Road, and is the worlds most advanced game, created by a genius with the help of AIs that he has created. There are countless professions in the game, all unique. The depth of the game is immense, to the point that people that have played the game for years, even since launch, are still learning new and wonderous things. Players can become the rulers of towns, cities, territory, and even kingdoms. NPC legions clash together in epic numbers in battles that players can participate in. You can build a town from scratch, farm the land, find and explore dungeons, craft, create art, and more. Players can even take control of the above-mentioned NPC legions/armies to take part in epic quests lines for glorious rewards.

That is the epic dream that is Royal Road and LMS, and why I love it.

Here is a synopsis.
    The man forsaken by the world, the man a slave to money and the man known as the legendary God of War in the highly popular MMORPG Continent of Magic. With the coming of age, he decides to say goodbye, but the feeble attempt to earn a little something for his time and effort ripples into an effect none could ever have imagined. Through a series of coincidences, his legendary avatar is sold for 3.1 billion won, bringing great joy to him, only to plunge him into despair at losing almost all of it to vicious loan sharks. With revelation of money through gaming, he rises from the abyss with new found resolve and steps forward into the new age of games led by the first ever Virtual Reality MMORPG, Royal Road. This is the legend of Lee Hyun on his path to becoming Emperor with only his family loving heart, his boundless desire for money, his unexpected mind, his diligently forged body and the talent of hard work backing him.
    The main character, Lee Hyun, is a serious guy, to the point of being hilarious. His love for money (both virtual - which he turns into real money - and real) drives him to become a genius at whatever he works towards, allowing him to achieve great things. Honestly, I would say he's the kind of gamer I wish I could be.

japtem.com is the place you would go to read the fan translation. Alternatively you can visit royalroadl.com (yes, there is an l at the end there). As I mentioned, the creator of the light novel gave consent (I want to say 2 or 3 years ago, maybe not so long ago) to allow for fan translation up until an official translation is worked out.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 11-15-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Since no one is posting in this thread, I'll go ahead and post about Ark here as well.

Previously, I had read one or two chapters of Ark, but ended up giving it up because it was difficult for me to get into it. However, I just recently gave it another try and couldn't put it down. I'm currently on chapter 7 of volume 1, out of a total of 10 (I think?) chapters this volume.

It feels almost exactly like Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, such as the same/similar quest difficulty, stat, etc... system being used. The world, and its lore, seems to be different as well. And it seems like it's a bit more traditional RPG-like compared to Royal Road. So far it seems like a completely single-player game despite being an MMO, but I guess new players will be introduced as the story progresses.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

I think I read until he kicked the water balloons, made a statue of the necromancer, and made a statue of the goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    I'll go ahead and post about Ark here as well.
    So where can I find the... "Story Ark"? (ha!)
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    I think I read until he kicked the water balloons, made a statue of the necromancer, and made a statue of the goddess.

So where can I find the... "Story Ark"? (ha!)
    japtem.com
    -Cingal

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

All these tinny details are made with lot of backgound knowledge. You efforts to provide us so nice and useful information are pretty good.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 34

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Since no one is posting in this thread, I'll go ahead and post about Ark here as well.

Previously, I had read one or two chapters of Ark, but ended up giving it up because it was difficult for me to get into it. However, I just recently gave it another try and couldn't put it down.

yes Ark is really good also, it keeps getting better with every chapter imo

ark and weed from LMS seem to have some similarities but i wonder how things are going to play out further into arks story, i mean 9 chapters isn't much to go on yet

also im so happy about both novels and that japtem keeps releasing chapters each week (even during school) they have done so much for LMS in a short time and introduced us to Ark which has become one of my favorite light novels with just the first volume
    Last edited by chris183; 11-24-2013 at 02:20 PM.