Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 70

Default Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

I'm going to have to choose one of them next month to buy. What do people suggest I do? I don't really need Media Center, unless Windows 8 still causes third-party codecs and VLC to crash on DVD Menus. The motherboard I have has secure boot mode options and options pertaining to Windows 8 specifically... not sure if that should be a factor since I can turn those off.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EQ Next, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 168

Windows 8 is better than 7 in every way as long as you install Classic Shell as soon as you get it.
    Me, Me, Me, GF |&| Me! D;!

RIP the Dawngates : (

You can join my Minitroopers army!

Don't you dare quote me!

Don't you dare Rep me neither!

I don't want your petty influences upon my soul!

Quote Originally Posted by Songz View Post
    Windows 8 is better than 7 in every way as long as you install Classic Shell as soon as you get it.
    I don't like throwing third-party shells that require an extra process to change the shell's look.

Waiting On: EQ Next, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 605

Windows 8
    It's faster than 7 and you will rarely use the tablet UI. You have the option to boot directly into desktop mode IIRC. Searching for installed programs is also way faster and precise than with previous windows versions.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 38

Once you get used to Windows 8 changes, youll realize that Windows 8 is definitely better.

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour

Olpah's Object Reputation: 17

UH no windows 8 is not better then 7 lol, after using windows 8 sense last xmas i come to realize i hate it in every possible way. I see a big speed boost on windows 7 then i do on updated windows 8

R.I.P Tupac Amaru Shakur

1971-1996

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

Tupac Shakur

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 605

Well... ultimately you could use a 30-day trial and see how it goes for you.

Windows OS trial is downloaded from legal sources like Digital River and you can only legally use it (without buying) up to the point it asks you for a key.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 173

Quote Originally Posted by invadertim View Post
    UH no windows 8 is not better then 7 lol, after using windows 8 sense last xmas i come to realize i hate it in every possible way. I see a big speed boost on windows 7 then i do on updated windows 8
    How old is the hardware that you're using? Windows 8 does a lot with SSD management, Hyper-threading, and GPU management. Windows 8.1 also improves some of the back end as well. If you're running something that isn't using hyper threading (like a Core2Duo) or you're using drivers that haven't been optimized for Windows 8 you'll probably see no performance boost, but it is there for people with the hardware that takes advantage of it.

When you say you see a big speed boost on Windows 7 do you mean that you're seeing this during benchmarks? I'd say try benching between the two with the same drivers and same setup and you'll probably find that Windows 8 benchmarks higher by a small margin.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Thanks guys so far. I think I'll go with Windows 8.1, since it's a newer kernel and whatnot.

Rock Man Reputation: 12

Im going to repost one of my old posts here just for your information.

Windows 8 does reserve 20% of your bandwidth for update only. Unlike the problem posted above by somebody who obviously doesn't have windows 8 this bandwidth reserve problem is real.

Its not a specific problem for windows 8 only other OS do this also. Luckily its a easy fix in the registry. Ill recommend a guide but your best bet is to Google it yourself and do your own research.

Source: random Windows 8 blog
    Windows 8 by default reserve approximate 20% of your bandwidth for its own use if you are using a broadband connection, all is due to the Windows 8 frequent updates and validation processes, if we will disable this in Windows 8 we can use that rest of 20% internet speed which had been settled for updates. - See more at: http://filescrop.blogspot.com/2012/1....8Ydq7F4D.dpuf
    http://filescrop.blogspot.com/2012/1...onnection.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast