Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: Trion Unveils Voxel-Based Trove

  1. #1
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281
    Cy-Kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gobotron
    Posts
    5,566
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Trion Unveils Voxel-Based Trove



    After a cryptic tease on the newly created @TroveGame Twitter account Wednesday, Trion Worlds officially revealed their newest project, Trove. The free-to-play game is described as “an open-ended voxel adventure through countless realms filled with quests, chests, and enemies great and small,” the game will offer procedurally generated voxel-based worlds with exploration, combat, crafting, and building.

    It makes sense that Trion would go in this direction. Before returning as Trion’s CEO, Scott Hartsman famously said that the content-development system for online gaming was “broken,” and having something different from the usual “patch every few months” that players quickly tire of is right up their alley.

    It’s also a clear continuation of the trend in gaming started by games like Minecraft and Cube World, and, eventually, EverQuest Next. Voxels and procedurally generated worlds are gaming’s new buzzwords these days, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more such games in the next few years. Whether that will be a good thing or not remains to be seen.

    Trion is “launching Trove in alpha,” which we suppose means that access will be granted to select players as soon as a reasonably stable build is available. You can sign up for the game at the Trove site.

    What do you think? Does Trove look like something you’re interested in trying?






    http://www.mmobomb.com/news/trion-un...l-based-trove/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

  2. #2
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,418
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Hmmm everyone is taking a shot at the 'make-it-your-own' mmo. I'm okay with this honestly, I'm quite curious as to who will come out on top.

  3. #3
    Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 26
    imported_JoshuaBojangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    278
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Since Cube Worlds underwhelming alpha launch and months without even a word about updates, Im actually pretty excited about this.

  4. #4
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281
    Cy-Kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gobotron
    Posts
    5,566
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Hmmm everyone is taking a shot at the 'make-it-your-own' mmo. I'm okay with this honestly, I'm quite curious as to who will come out on top.
    Well, so far MineCraft is still on top, although I've never played it.

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    Since Cube Worlds underwhelming alpha launch and months without even a word about updates, Im actually pretty excited about this.
    Tried Cube World, the enemies attack you fast while you attack them slowly, plus I could never connect to another game, so I ended up playing alone for a few minutes, but the attacking got to me so I haven't touched it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

  5. #5
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,418
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    Well, so far MineCraft is still on top, although I've never played it.



    Tried Cube World, the enemies attack you fast while you attack them slowly, plus I could never connect to another game, so I ended up playing alone for a few minutes, but the attacking got to me so I haven't touched it again.
    I meant the MMO of the make it your own style, in terms of just pure sandbox minecraft will have the top spot for awhile.

  6. #6
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 22
    invadertim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,831
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    WoW this looks horrible, a complete rip off of cubeworld and those characters look amazingly rubbish.


    /wack


    R.I.P Tupac Amaru Shakur

    1971-1996

    "I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

    — Tupac Shakur

  7. #7
    Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    this does look alot like cube world..

    But cube world is just bad..
    You look at the game and go its just like minecraft except no Building/Mining
    Also for how cool the combat Looks its so bland there is like a total of 2 skills per char.. how are you supposed technically LEVEL when all you do is level 2 skills...

    If they added actual mining/building/skills I would probably pick it up again.

    So far Trove looks to be a 10x better version then Cube World

  8. #8
    Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 10
    garybee17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    550
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Lmao Havent Posted In Years.....
    Seen This Had To Post COMPLETE Rip Off Of Cube World....
    World Style Is The Same And All
    Smdh I Like That Everyone Has There Minds Set On Making Voxel Open Worlds
    But Come On Can We At least Start Being More Creative
    As The Looks Of It Im Staying With Cube World On This One Plus They Just Put A Update On There Site Like A Day Or 2 Ago
    (They Havent Forgotten About Us !) Lol

  9. #9
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,172
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Interacting with the community. This should be one of the top priorities of ANY MMO developer!!

  10. #10
    Detective Kirby Reputation: 10
    Genostar10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    It may look like Cube World, but I see something with way more potential than Cube World. This one actually interests me.

  11. #11
    Banned Reputation: 34

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Interacting with the community. This should be one of the top priorities of ANY MMO developer!!
    and steal idea from indie developer lol

  12. #12
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281
    Cy-Kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gobotron
    Posts
    5,566
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garybee17 View Post
    Lmao Havent Posted In Years.....
    Funny, because you posted in July!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

  13. #13
    Rock Man Reputation: 18
    Pygoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    416
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I am actually looking forward to this game due to the simple fact that Cube World hasn't been updated in months.


  14. #14
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 108
    QuakeStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ☆彡
    Posts
    4,777
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by invadertim View Post
    WoW this looks horrible, a complete rip off of cubeworld and those characters look amazingly rubbish.


    /wack
    Could've mentioned Minecraft while you're at it.

  15. #15
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    i like this . i will very likely try it.

    i didnt like minecraft because it didn't have the ability to travel across servers easily and do pvp, but trove lets you carry stuff across (like neverwinter nights 1). Also Trion should have the money to build bigg infrastructure than either Cube or Minecraft.

    Im gonna try it! I dont think ill try Tree of Saviour tho...
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

    http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

  16. #16
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    It's a complete rip of of Cube World, a game that is completely original and that came out way before the games it lists as inspiration! "Minecraft, Zelda, Secret of Mana, Monster Hunter, Diablo, World of Warcraft and many more."

    I am also willing to bet that the guy who made MineCraft never played with Legos, MegaBloks, Lincoln Logs or anything similar at some point.

    There have been Terraforming/Sandbox games for ages.
    All the new style has accomplished is making them look sh*tty.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 11-17-2013 at 02:45 AM.

  17. #17
    Heads or Tails Reputation: 43
    sliferx94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    OMG! It's a complete rip of of Cube World, a game that is completely original and that came out way before the games it lists as inspiration! "Minecraft, Zelda, Secret of Mana, Monster Hunter, Diablo, World of Warcraft and many more."
    It is though, not a complete rip-off. Inspiration is different thing, cube world art/graphic style is not the same as any of the games it was inspired by, it was original. Not talking about voxel based but the art itself, not sure what you call it really. The designs are pretty much identical except for the characters head. Anyways i think on their reddit they even say "This game is Minecraft+Cubeworld+X+X"

    It is interesting though, i dont like how the characters are ugly but its okay. This isnt the first game that did this, Vox is another game but that one had lower quality graphics. Trove did a good job at copying. Im not saying its a bad thing, its actually good. Now trove mixes cubeworld with building aspect of minecraft. Should be tons of fun, cant wait. One thing im worried about is the free 2 play model, i would rather have B2P. Why? because sooner or later they will be selling blocks to build with :/ which sucks hard. Sorry for the messy post but really sleepy atm.

  18. #18
    42 Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    947
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sliferx94 View Post
    It is though, not a complete rip-off. Inspiration is different thing, cube world art/graphic style is not the same as any of the games it was inspired by, it was original. Not talking about voxel based but the art itself, not sure what you call it really. The designs are pretty much identical except for the characters head. Anyways i think on their reddit they even say "This game is Minecraft+Cubeworld+X+X"

    It is interesting though, i dont like how the characters are ugly but its okay. This isnt the first game that did this, Vox is another game but that one had lower quality graphics. Trove did a good job at copying. Im not saying its a bad thing, its actually good. Now trove mixes cubeworld with building aspect of minecraft. Should be tons of fun, cant wait. One thing im worried about is the free 2 play model, i would rather have B2P. Why? because sooner or later they will be selling blocks to build with :/ which sucks hard. Sorry for the messy post but really sleepy atm.
    You DO realise by saying that it mixs those two games it's litteraly the exact same as Minecraft etc mixing aspects of different games, right?
    This being said, i'll wait for TUG, that one looks way better.
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 11-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.

  19. #19
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 36
    Starkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,789
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garybee17 View Post
    Lmao Havent Posted In Years.....
    Seen This Had To Post COMPLETE Rip Off Of Cube World....
    World Style Is The Same And All
    Smdh I Like That Everyone Has There Minds Set On Making Voxel Open Worlds
    But Come On Can We At least Start Being More Creative
    As The Looks Of It Im Staying With Cube World On This One Plus They Just Put A Update On There Site Like A Day Or 2 Ago
    (They Havent Forgotten About Us !) Lol
    That.. typing style..

    Anyways, on topic, I think this looks awesome and am really looking forward to it. It does look a little too much like Cube World, but how much different could they make it?

  20. #20
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    correct me if im wrong, but Trion's Trove lets you build things while Cubeworld does not?

    that makes them hugely different, unless there are mods of Cubeworld which let you build and transport items between worlds.

    I have a possible suspicion that this could be the next major hit.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

    http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

  21. #21
    Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 94
    Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,459
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Uhh... Wollay posted a run down of what's going on like a week ago. It's not dead... Lol.

    I'm not even going to talk about this game in depth, It's somewhat different so that's good. Can't shake the feeling they tried shotgunning a CW-like to fill the vacuum it left. (even though it never really left)

    EDIT: Cube World plans to have building, but more like a flexible blueprint system, not with blocks.
    »Games & IGN«
    Wurm Online » Leviathan
    FFTA2
    »Last updated May 31 2010«

  22. #22
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 108
    QuakeStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ☆彡
    Posts
    4,777
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    correct me if im wrong, but Trion's Trove lets you build things while Cubeworld does not?
    Yeah, but CW also let's you have pets, upgrade and customize your weapons.

  23. #23
    42 Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    947
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuakeStriker View Post
    Yeah, but CW also let's you have pets, upgrade and customize your weapons.
    Cube World also lets you stew for months on end without so much as a tweet about what's happening right after its nearly-botched release. Not to mention the weapon customization is garbage, 16 cubes is no where near enough to REALLY customize any item, when it comes right down to it it's either a tiny seal or just random ugly spots.

    If i were to go with a game in this vein that hasn't been released yet it'd be Starbound, which is looking like it'll basically be the pinnacle of the genre, at least in regards to side scrolling variants if not the entire genre. Also, freaking MECHS were revealed this friday just gone by, mechs you can pilot and presumably have some kind of guns/mining equipment!
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 11-18-2013 at 04:57 AM.

  24. #24
    Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 94
    Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,459
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    Cube World also lets you stew for months on end without so much as a tweet about what's happening right after its nearly-botched release. Not to mention the weapon customization is garbage, 16 cubes is no where near enough to REALLY customize any item, when it comes right down to it it's either a tiny seal or just random ugly spots.
    It's just him and his wife, and it was an ALPHA release. Alpha nitpicks on the rest.
    »Games & IGN«
    Wurm Online » Leviathan
    FFTA2
    »Last updated May 31 2010«

  25. #25
    42 Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    947
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    It's just him and his wife, and it was an ALPHA release. Alpha nitpicks on the rest.
    Yeah no that doesn't fly. You don't release an alpha of a product, then let it sit for month on end without any contact, that's not even a greenhorn mistake, that's an idiots error. Alpha nit-picking is pointing out their "were no stairs in Minecraft when it first came out!", not what Cube World did, how Wollay handled his game was absolutely horrendous, two people or not.

    As well as that, bringing in the old as heck excuse that it's only two people working on it is the weakest thing I've seen in weeks. Guess how many people were working on Terraria? About two, and they kept updates on their twitters etc. Their's no excuse for the garbage CW pulled with their alpha. Sorry, but you're wrong.

    Please, try again though, maybe you'll make a valid point or criticism...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •