Trion Unveils Voxel-Based Trove

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 245

Default Trion Unveils Voxel-Based Trove

After a cryptic tease on the newly created @TroveGame Twitter account Wednesday, Trion Worlds officially revealed their newest project, Trove. The free-to-play game is described as “an open-ended voxel adventure through countless realms filled with quests, chests, and enemies great and small,” the game will offer procedurally generated voxel-based worlds with exploration, combat, crafting, and building.

It makes sense that Trion would go in this direction. Before returning as Trion’s CEO, Scott Hartsman famously said that the content-development system for online gaming was “broken,” and having something different from the usual “patch every few months” that players quickly tire of is right up their alley.

It’s also a clear continuation of the trend in gaming started by games like Minecraft and Cube World, and, eventually, EverQuest Next. Voxels and procedurally generated worlds are gaming’s new buzzwords these days, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more such games in the next few years. Whether that will be a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Trion is “launching Trove in alpha,” which we suppose means that access will be granted to select players as soon as a reasonably stable build is available. You can sign up for the game at the Trove site.

What do you think? Does Trove look like something you’re interested in trying?

http://www.mmobomb.com/news/trion-un...l-based-trove/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 131

Hmmm everyone is taking a shot at the 'make-it-your-own' mmo. I'm okay with this honestly, I'm quite curious as to who will come out on top.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 26

Since Cube Worlds underwhelming alpha launch and months without even a word about updates, Im actually pretty excited about this.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 245

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Hmmm everyone is taking a shot at the 'make-it-your-own' mmo. I'm okay with this honestly, I'm quite curious as to who will come out on top.
    Well, so far MineCraft is still on top, although I've never played it.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    Since Cube Worlds underwhelming alpha launch and months without even a word about updates, Im actually pretty excited about this.
    Tried Cube World, the enemies attack you fast while you attack them slowly, plus I could never connect to another game, so I ended up playing alone for a few minutes, but the attacking got to me so I haven't touched it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 131

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    Well, so far MineCraft is still on top, although I've never played it.

Tried Cube World, the enemies attack you fast while you attack them slowly, plus I could never connect to another game, so I ended up playing alone for a few minutes, but the attacking got to me so I haven't touched it again.
    I meant the MMO of the make it your own style, in terms of just pure sandbox minecraft will have the top spot for awhile.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 17

WoW this looks horrible, a complete rip off of cubeworld and those characters look amazingly rubbish.

/wack

R.I.P Tupac Amaru Shakur

1971-1996

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

— Tupac Shakur

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

this does look alot like cube world..

But cube world is just bad..
    You look at the game and go its just like minecraft except no Building/Mining
    Also for how cool the combat Looks its so bland there is like a total of 2 skills per char.. how are you supposed technically LEVEL when all you do is level 2 skills...

If they added actual mining/building/skills I would probably pick it up again.

So far Trove looks to be a 10x better version then Cube World

Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 10

Lmao Havent Posted In Years.....
    Seen This Had To Post COMPLETE Rip Off Of Cube World....
    World Style Is The Same And All
    Smdh I Like That Everyone Has There Minds Set On Making Voxel Open Worlds
    But Come On Can We At least Start Being More Creative
    As The Looks Of It Im Staying With Cube World On This One Plus They Just Put A Update On There Site Like A Day Or 2 Ago
    (They Havent Forgotten About Us !) Lol

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Interacting with the community. This should be one of the top priorities of ANY MMO developer!!
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

It may look like Cube World, but I see something with way more potential than Cube World. This one actually interests me.
    Currently Playing:
    League of Legends; IGN: Hide And Go Seek
    Grand Chase (MY HIP!); IGN: Genovi

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast