New to building PCs - any advice is appreciated

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 38

Default New to building PCs - any advice is appreciated

Hey guys

Im thinking of building a gaming PC in near future. Im relatively new to all of these stuff, any help is appreciated

This is what i have so far:

SAPPHIRE RADEON R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X
    SilverStone Redline Series RL04 ATX Tower Case Black (thinking of changing this)
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 64MB 1TB Hard Drive 3.5 inch S-ATA
    Cooler Master eXtreme Power II 725W dual +12V Rail (this is on sale, but would this be overkill?)
    Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
    Intel Haswell Core i5-4570 3.2GHz 8MB LGA1150
    2x STRONTIUM HYNIX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Desktop Memory
    COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO UNIVERSAL CPU Cooler 120MM

If anyone wants to recommend me better options feel free to use this site http://www.pcforce.co.nz/ (i cant buy good deals from newegg)

Also, if theres something not compatible or things missing, please enlighten me

Im on a roughly tight budget and looking the best for the buck.

Thanks

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

You may need an optical drive. That's CD, DVDs, and Blu-Rays, Motherf*cker! I forgot to get one on my latest upgrade.

I suggest the Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    if you don't want blu-ray. Why? Because it works well and it's $22.

Dear god... Why is the PCForce site so expensive? The price for the same DVD drive is almost double there.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 11-18-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    You may need an optical drive. That's CD, DVDs, and Blu-Rays, Motherf*cker! I forgot to get one on my latest upgrade.

I suggest the Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    if you don't want blu-ray. Why? Because it works well and it's $22.

Dear god... Why is the PCForce site so expensive? The price for the same DVD drive is almost double there.
    Its one of the cheapest we can get in NZ ;/

Even if i buy outside NZ, once the stuff shipped in, i have to pay the taxes and the price would roughly be the same if i just simply bought it here.

Good catch lol. Missed out on optical drive. Although i rarely use that, it might come in handy once in a while.

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 572

You can get by with a smaller PSU. You should be fine with about 550-600w in a normal one card setup.
    I'd also get a normal ATX mobo instead of a micro ATX one. Than again with those prices...

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    You can get by with a smaller PSU. You should be fine with about 550-600w in a normal one card setup.
    I'd also get a normal ATX mobo instead of a micro ATX one. Than again with those prices...
    Thats what i thought that the PSU might be just a lil bit overkill. But the requirements for the gfx card says that i need 750W supply? Im abit confused on that because im pretty sure i wont be really needing that 750w..

Also, why ATX mobo over mATX? That motherboard can still do dual graphics o;
    Last edited by Imperidal; 11-18-2013 at 09:07 PM.

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour

There has been some mix up to my knowledge. The actual card still draws about as much as a 7970Ghz OC card.

Generally, ATX mobos are way more future-proof than a mATX one. You only will have one single height PCI-slot available as well if CF/SLI. Any decent audio card? Forget it. Want a wireless PCI a card and a tv-tuner? Nope.
    On the other hand, most people rarely use more than one single height PCI-card.
    Think about it.

There has been some mix up to my knowledge. The actual card still draws about as much as a 7970Ghz OC card.

Generally, ATX mobos are way more future-proof than a mATX one. You only will have one single height PCI-slot available as well if CF/SLI. Any decent audio card? Forget it. Want a wireless PCI a card and a tv-tuner? Nope.
    On the other hand, most people rarely use more than one single height PCI-card.
    Think about it.
    Thanks for the input. I most likely wont be running cf/sli because its gonna be quite expensive to replace a pair of graphics card instead of just one. Plus i have to deal with better cooling system, power supply etc. So yeah, highly likely dual graphics is a no for me(since id end up splashing more cash xD)

Im still unsure about the stock fans thats going to come with the CPU.. Do i really need to replace it? I dont plan to OC the CPU. But i still hear people replacing their stock fans even though they are not OCing.

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour

Aftermarket fans are usually more silent and more efficient at keeping temps down. Given my experience with stock fans... I'd replace it.

Aftermarket fans are usually more silent and more efficient at keeping temps down. Given my experience with stock fans... I'd replace it.
    I guess i should buy a separate CPU fan then.

Those guys that sell processors should just sell the processor without the fan. Then we can get a processor at a cheaper price ;/

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour

Hey guys, just an update to my setup.

I have bought these parts so far:

- Sapphire Vapor-X r9 280x
    - Seagate 1tb HD
    - Asus optical drive
    - Cooler Master K282 case
    - Cooler Master extreme power 2 725W (abit overkill but was on sale, so yeah)

I dont plan to buy a cpu fan as of now.. Because i dont plan OCing stuff and lets just see with the stock fan first.

Im left to buy 8GB ram, mobo and i5 intel 4570. Waiting for my next 1 or 2 pay then ill get them. Or when theres a decent deal.

My concern is the mobo. Im planning to go after microATX Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard. Dont plan to cf/sli or OCing.

Can anyone suggest me if theres a better intel microATX mobo thats worth the money? Or a decent cheap ATX mobo for intel?(just in case i change my mind and go for ATX mobos)

NOW PLAYING:
    D3

WAITING FOR:
    Wonderking
    Tree of Saviour