Looking for Opinion on a build recommended to me

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 22

Default Looking for Opinion on a build recommended to me

So I finally decided to try and build my own computer for the first time. My budget is $1900CAD. I would like to be able to play most if not all modern games and games for the next few years at a high level of detail if possible. I don't know much about parts though, so I've been asking around and I got recommended this build:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/25PPF

I just wanted to ask if this is a good build and if there are any issues with it that I should be aware of? Is the build missing anything? I see a compatibility note at the bottom and I'm not sure if that's something I should be worried about.

Any alternative builds that may be better than this and within my budget? I'm open to other recommendations and suggestions as I'm not very familiar with any of this stuff.

I also need an OS but that wasn't included in the list and I'm not sure which to choose. Lastly, do I need to buy an adapter if I use wifi? Thanks guys.
    Last edited by BeerPower; 11-21-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

Wut Crossfired R9 290 with stock case fans? Damn, you're definitely going to be warm enough this Winter.

By the way a single R9 290 is enough to play every game of this generation at 1080p MAX settings when in turbo mode. Hell, it can play a bunch of games at Max Settings 60FPS 1440 resolution. Two of those is just pure overkill at this point in time. You can always add a second one later when it is cheaper and you have money for extra fans.

You'll have to buy a wifi adapter if your motherboard doesn't come with a module.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

CHANGE LOG:
    Swapped PSU for more highly rated, silent, and cheaper PSU.
    Added SSD for boot & game drive. Keep WD 1TB Blue for storage.
    Swapped Motherboard for Motherboard that handles Haswell better and has an integrated WiFi a/b/g/n/ac module.
    Removed second GPU because it is unneeded at the moment.
    Added two more fans that will improve airflow and cooling.
    Added Windows 8

Effect: Cheaper, Cooler, More Quiet, WiFi, Faster Load & More Performance Per Dollar.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($256.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($37.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($193.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4G DDR3-2400 Memory ($74.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card ($452.84 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: BitFenix Ghost (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.89 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($41.59 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($129.47 @ Newegg Canada)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($24.59 @ Newegg Canada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($109.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($188.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $1815.22
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-21 051 EST-0500)
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Awesome, thanks for going over the build with me. I think I will go with your advice. I'm going to be purchasing next week. Just a quick question though, would there be room to upgrade this build if I ever need to in the future?

Yep, you can upgrade pretty much every component. i5-Haswell to i7-Haswell. GPU can be crossfired and upgraded in the future. Hard drives of course can be upgraded. One of the first upgrades I'd do, even though it's not needed, is add another 8GB of ram.

Last question, I read that r9 290 heats up quite a bit, is this a problem I should be worried about? Any precautions I should take? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerPower View Post
    Last question, I read that r9 290 heats up quite a bit, is this a problem I should be worried about? Any precautions I should take? Thanks.
    290 is quite a bit louder than the 290x and while it does get a bit hotter the two case fans I added should help relieve the pressure. You can also run the card in quiet mode and still max out pretty much every game at 1080p.

Moderator of Mayhem Reputation: 572

Define 'hot'. Is it hot at stock fan speeds, about 67% fan speed (pretty much the max between loud and a tornado) or 100% fan speed? :/
    To be honest, my GTX285 used to only hit 60C on games when it was new on 100% fan speed. The last year before I changed it, it ran most newer games at 72-75C at 100%. It's just a matter of age before it noticeably gets too hot if you care about your card.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Like running a R9 290 in Uber mood instead of quiet will get it hitting 92-93 degrees Celsius in demanding games easily, but the R9 290 is also going to greatly benefit from having aftermarket fans as it will be the one that manufacturers get to play with. AMD is keeping the stock cooling system on the R9 290x.