Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 496

Thread: Starbound Beta Available Dec 4th!

  1. #26
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,436
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Is the combat smoother than terraria, and have better feedback/usability with different weapons? (axe, sword, pole, etc)

  2. #27
    🐼 Panda Moderator 🐼 Reputation: 580
    Seya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ►Bamboo Forest◄
    Posts
    10,276
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    You'd have to play it to know that so ... beta starts in 2 days , you'l have your answer then .


  3. #28
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 76
    Mystryx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,737
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Typical, the game's beta releases as I start working xD

    Any idea how long the Beta will last? Won't really get much free time till 23rd.
    League of Legends US - IGN ForceModified
    Steam - mystryx1


  4. #29
    🐼 Panda Moderator 🐼 Reputation: 580
    Seya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ►Bamboo Forest◄
    Posts
    10,276
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Limitless I think , you get a direct link to the client .


  5. #30
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    They mean Beta in the same way Mojang does. If you don't understand, Minecraft is technically still in Beta

  6. #31
    🐼 Panda Moderator 🐼 Reputation: 580
    Seya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ►Bamboo Forest◄
    Posts
    10,276
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    They mean Beta in the same way Mojang does. If you don't understand, Minecraft is technically still in Beta
    Thats a kind way of saying they are just really lazy . With all the money he made from minecraft youd think 3-4 years of beta still isnt enough to milk it more .


  7. #32
    Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 26
    imported_JoshuaBojangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    278
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    Minecraft is technically still in Beta
    It's not though...

  8. #33
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 129
    puudleduudle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Post Apocalyptic Tokyo, USA
    Posts
    771
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Yeah, cute + sci-fi + sandbox + shit tons of randomly generated content = good.
    (˳˘ ɜ˘)˳☆♬♪♫☆**.♪☆♬♪♫☆**.♪☆



  9. #34
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    It's not though...
    Yeah, it is actually. The version is "1.7.2 beta", implying that their's still more to be added.

  10. #35
    Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 26
    imported_JoshuaBojangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    278
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    Yeah, it is actually. The version is "1.7.2 beta", implying that their's still more to be added.
    From wikipedia:

    Minecraft is a sandbox indie game originally created by Swedish programmer Markus "Notch" Persson and later developed and published by Mojang. It was publicly released for the PC on May 17, 2009, as a developmental alpha version and, after gradual updates, was published as a full release version on November 18, 2011
    Last edited by imported_JoshuaBojangles; 12-02-2013 at 03:56 AM.

  11. #36
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    From wikipedia:

    Minecraft is a sandbox indie game originally created by Swedish programmer Markus "Notch" Persson and later developed and published by Mojang. It was publicly released for the PC on May 17, 2009, as a developmental alpha version and, after gradual updates, was published as a full release version on November 18, 2011
    wow, you're quoting from WIKIPDEIA. You do realise anyone can go in and change it, right? I'm dubious that you do.

    And to point it out to you, i'll use your own, "source" about what the defenition of Beta is in regards to computer programs.

    Computing[edit]

    In computing, the term "beta" is used as (usually) the last release in the software release life cycle. It is sometimes referred to as 0.x in version numbers or x.x by where x represents a number.

    Minecraft 1.7.2? Oh my why that's a Beta!
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 12-02-2013 at 05:19 AM.

  12. #37
    Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 22
    sutasafaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    629
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    wow, you're quoting from WIKIPDEIA. You do realise anyone can go in and change it, right? I'm dubious that you do.

    And to point it out to you, i'll use your own, "source" about what the defenition of Beta is in regards to computer programs.

    Computing[edit]

    In computing, the term "beta" is used as (usually) the last release in the software release life cycle. It is sometimes referred to as 0.x in version numbers or x.x by where x represents a number.

    Minecraft 1.7.2? Oh my why that's a Beta!
    0.1.7.2 would be beta, 1.7.2 is post-release. Anything larger than 1.0 is generally post-release, anything lower than 1.0 is generally beta. That isn't always the case of course, but it generally holds true. There is nothing stopping a developer from releasing content after a game is released, hence why 1.X can keep getting higher.

  13. #38
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post
    0.1.7.2 would be beta, 1.7.2 is post-release. Anything larger than 1.0 is generally post-release, anything lower than 1.0 is generally beta. That isn't always the case of course, but it generally holds true. There is nothing stopping a developer from releasing content after a game is released, hence why 1.X can keep getting higher.
    What you're refering to is a beta test. Minecraft just happened to have an open beta test.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/beta+test

    There ya go.

    As well as that, the 1.x.x was added as the adventure update.

    http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Timel...ents#January_2 Also, here's the Minecraft timeline, you'll notice that it still says BETA long after the wikipedia article says it was "released".
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 12-02-2013 at 05:28 AM.

  14. #39
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Always love it when people use the, "it's not right because it's wikipedia and anyone can edit the information so it is wrong" argument.

    They've already explained how the Beta is going to work, it's not going to be like Minecraft.
    Last edited by Kashis; 12-02-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  15. #40
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Always love it when people use the, "it's not right because it's wikipedia and anyone can edit the information so it wrong" argument.

    They've already explained how the Beta is going to work, it's not going to be like Minecraft.
    '
    You've never been to college have you? That's the argument those damn professors use to explain why you can't use Wikipedia in a research essay, why don't they understand that the internet is always right regardless of who says what?!

    Also, you're technically right, seeing as Minecraft had an Alpha Test where Starbound did not, just a number of developer videos showing how progress was coming along, which is admittedly a huge difference from allowing random yahoos run around and break everything.

    As well as this, oh hey, here's the Minecraft timeline from Gamepedia, about as trustworthy as Wikipedia, http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Timel...ents#January_2

    At no point does it say full release, just resetting of the number after it was passed on to jeb.

  16. #41
    Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 26
    imported_JoshuaBojangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    278
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    '
    You've never been to college have you? That's the argument those damn professors use to explain why you can't use Wikipedia in a research essay, why don't they understand that the internet is always right regardless of who says what?!

    Also, you're technically right, seeing as Minecraft had an Alpha Test where Starbound did not, just a number of developer videos showing how progress was coming along, which is admittedly a huge difference from allowing random yahoos run around and break everything.

    As well as this, oh hey, here's the Minecraft timeline from Gamepedia, about as trustworthy as Wikipedia, http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Timel...ents#January_2

    At no point does it say full release, just resetting of the number after it was passed on to jeb.
    Lol, I have no idea why you are so intense about something so trivial. When it comes to games, wikipedia is pretty damn reliable. Pretty sure they even had a huge Minecraft convention in Vegas to celebrate the official release. Also as someone above mentioned version 1.0 signifies full release.

    If adding content means its still in beta then an awful lot of games are promoting themselves wrong....like every MMO ever...which I dont believe is the case.

  17. #42
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    '
    You've never been to college have you? That's the argument those damn professors use to explain why you can't use Wikipedia in a research essay, why don't they understand that the internet is always right regardless of who says what?!

    Also, you're technically right, seeing as Minecraft had an Alpha Test where Starbound did not, just a number of developer videos showing how progress was coming along, which is admittedly a huge difference from allowing random yahoos run around and break everything.

    As well as this, oh hey, here's the Minecraft timeline from Gamepedia, about as trustworthy as Wikipedia, http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Timel...ents#January_2

    At no point does it say full release, just resetting of the number after it was passed on to jeb.
    1) That's not the point I was trying make; this isn't a college paper and just because something is on wikipedia, doesn't mean it is automatically incorrect. People only ever say that when it disagrees with their point. If someone found another site that said the same exact thing, would the issue of wikipedia being an uncredible site really matter if it's the truth? No.

    2) Why are you pressing this issue so hard? Not to be a dick but nobody really cares about Minecraft, this is a Starbound thread. If you want to debate the issue of Minecraft still being in Beta status (which it's not since it released like Nov, 2011), do it in another thread.

    edit: the date.
    Last edited by Kashis; 12-02-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  18. #43
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    1) That's not the point I was trying make; this isn't a college paper and just because something is on wikipedia, doesn't mean it is automatically incorrect. People only ever say that when it disagrees with their point. If someone found another site that said the same exact thing, would the issue of wikipedia being an uncredible site really matter if it's the truth? No.

    2) Why are you pressing this issue so hard? Not to be a dick but nobody really cares about Minecraft, this is a Starbound thread. If you want to debate the issue of Minecraft still being in Beta status (which it's not since it released like Nov 11, 2011), do it in another thread.
    1) Regardless of what it is, facts are important, so its the truth, both of which elude you. If you want to be taken seriously you've got to be correct, which i am, and no wikipedia is NEVER a good source of information that is actually accurate, regardless of subject. Get it straight.

    2)I'm not pressing the issue, i'm just holding my position because it's the correct one. As for why i'm pointing it out and expanding, mostly because of how incredibly ignorant so many folks on this forum are in regards to definitions of games.

    Not to mention that the fact that i've pointed out and given more than enough evidence that minecraft IS in Beta and that you still choose to be ignorant just goes to show that you KNOW that you're wrong. It's sad that you'll defend your ignorance so viamently.
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 12-02-2013 at 05:52 AM.

  19. #44
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    You're more than welcome to leave so we can actually talk about the original topic.

  20. #45
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    1) Regardless of what it is, facts are important, so its the truth, both of which elude you. If you want to be taken seriously you've got to be correct, which i am, and no wikipedia is NEVER a good source of information that is actually accurate, regardless of subject. Get it straight.

    2)I'm not pressing the issue, i'm just holding my position because it's the correct one. As for why i'm pointing it out and expanding, mostly because of how incredibly ignorant so many folks on this forum are in regards to definitions of games.
    Okay.

    So yeah I preordered a while back. Looking forward to playing but I wonder what time it'll be ready for dl?
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  21. #46
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57
    Dave!Yognaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    950
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Where is their studio located? o3o Hopefully it'll be released before like, midnight :c

    Oh, it's in the UK :o Also, they have a cute website :3

  22. #47
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    The word you're looking for in your edit is "vehemently" Dave but thanks I'll work on getting my facts straight.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  23. #48
    🐼 Panda Moderator 🐼 Reputation: 580
    Seya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ►Bamboo Forest◄
    Posts
    10,276
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    To keep the hype strong :P



  24. #49
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,059
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seya View Post
    To keep the hype strong :P

    It looks like whenever they change directions, their held items mirror (like in most 2D games), but when they use them they end up in the correct hands lol. Might be an oversight.

    Oh wait nvm: dude switched weapons on me.
    Last edited by Kashis; 12-02-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  25. #50
    Roon's Rogue Reputation: 94
    MoonStoneX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    4,158
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Kind of sad the Nova Race won't be in the Beta.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •