Starbound Beta Available Dec 4th!

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1. #31
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 447
    Seya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ►Bamboo Forest◄
    Posts
    8,952
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    They mean Beta in the same way Mojang does. If you don't understand, Minecraft is technically still in Beta
    Thats a kind way of saying they are just really lazy . With all the money he made from minecraft youd think 3-4 years of beta still isnt enough to milk it more .

  2. #32
    Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 26
    imported_JoshuaBojangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    Minecraft is technically still in Beta
    It's not though...

  3. #33
    Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 55
    puudleduudle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Post Apocalyptic Tokyo, USA
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Yeah, cute + sci-fi + sandbox + shit tons of randomly generated content = good.
    ||(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧||


    Playing:
    A bunch of 2013 games I missed.
    TERA: MT - Qewpid - Inactive
    TalesRunner: Phaun - CB tester[/FONT]

  4. #34
    Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 41

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    It's not though...
    Yeah, it is actually. The version is "1.7.2 beta", implying that their's still more to be added.

  5. #35
    Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 26
    imported_JoshuaBojangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    Yeah, it is actually. The version is "1.7.2 beta", implying that their's still more to be added.
    From wikipedia:

    Minecraft is a sandbox indie game originally created by Swedish programmer Markus "Notch" Persson and later developed and published by Mojang. It was publicly released for the PC on May 17, 2009, as a developmental alpha version and, after gradual updates, was published as a full release version on November 18, 2011
    Last edited by imported_JoshuaBojangles; 12-02-2013 at 02:56 AM.

  6. #36
    Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 41

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    From wikipedia:

    Minecraft is a sandbox indie game originally created by Swedish programmer Markus "Notch" Persson and later developed and published by Mojang. It was publicly released for the PC on May 17, 2009, as a developmental alpha version and, after gradual updates, was published as a full release version on November 18, 2011
    wow, you're quoting from WIKIPDEIA. You do realise anyone can go in and change it, right? I'm dubious that you do.

    And to point it out to you, i'll use your own, "source" about what the defenition of Beta is in regards to computer programs.

    Computing[edit]

    In computing, the term "beta" is used as (usually) the last release in the software release life cycle. It is sometimes referred to as 0.x in version numbers or x.x by where x represents a number.

    Minecraft 1.7.2? Oh my why that's a Beta!
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 12-02-2013 at 04:19 AM.

  7. #37
    Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 22
    sutasafaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    475
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    wow, you're quoting from WIKIPDEIA. You do realise anyone can go in and change it, right? I'm dubious that you do.

    And to point it out to you, i'll use your own, "source" about what the defenition of Beta is in regards to computer programs.

    Computing[edit]

    In computing, the term "beta" is used as (usually) the last release in the software release life cycle. It is sometimes referred to as 0.x in version numbers or x.x by where x represents a number.

    Minecraft 1.7.2? Oh my why that's a Beta!
    0.1.7.2 would be beta, 1.7.2 is post-release. Anything larger than 1.0 is generally post-release, anything lower than 1.0 is generally beta. That isn't always the case of course, but it generally holds true. There is nothing stopping a developer from releasing content after a game is released, hence why 1.X can keep getting higher.

  8. #38
    Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 41

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post
    0.1.7.2 would be beta, 1.7.2 is post-release. Anything larger than 1.0 is generally post-release, anything lower than 1.0 is generally beta. That isn't always the case of course, but it generally holds true. There is nothing stopping a developer from releasing content after a game is released, hence why 1.X can keep getting higher.
    What you're refering to is a beta test. Minecraft just happened to have an open beta test.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/beta+test

    There ya go.

    As well as that, the 1.x.x was added as the adventure update.

    http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Timel...ents#January_2 Also, here's the Minecraft timeline, you'll notice that it still says BETA long after the wikipedia article says it was "released".
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 12-02-2013 at 04:28 AM.

  9. #39
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,758
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Always love it when people use the, "it's not right because it's wikipedia and anyone can edit the information so it is wrong" argument.

    They've already explained how the Beta is going to work, it's not going to be like Minecraft.
    Last edited by Kashis; 12-02-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

  10. #40
    Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 41

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Always love it when people use the, "it's not right because it's wikipedia and anyone can edit the information so it wrong" argument.

    They've already explained how the Beta is going to work, it's not going to be like Minecraft.
    '
    You've never been to college have you? That's the argument those damn professors use to explain why you can't use Wikipedia in a research essay, why don't they understand that the internet is always right regardless of who says what?!

    Also, you're technically right, seeing as Minecraft had an Alpha Test where Starbound did not, just a number of developer videos showing how progress was coming along, which is admittedly a huge difference from allowing random yahoos run around and break everything.

    As well as this, oh hey, here's the Minecraft timeline from Gamepedia, about as trustworthy as Wikipedia, http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Timel...ents#January_2

    At no point does it say full release, just resetting of the number after it was passed on to jeb.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •