Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Does alcohol get any better?

  1. #1
    Pipster's Punk Reputation: 83
    M1nGs3N4yuk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    2,489
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Does alcohol get any better?

    I'm 20 right now and turning 21 in a month. I just tried half a wine glass of "Kendall Jackson's Grand Reserve Merlot" just for the hell of it because I was bored and wanted to experiment. The smell was bad and the taste was bad. I forced myself to finished that half glass and every sip after the previous was just worse. I felt like I needed to puke after the last sip. Right now I can feel my face being hot and a bit of a headache. I also feel a bit of pressure pressing on the side of my head. It's a bit harder to concentrate/focus and had difficulty walking from my room to the kitchen. I still feel sober though.

    This was the 3rd time that I've tried alcohol. The first time was an extremely small amount of Heineken beer that my brother finished for me because I hated the bitterness of it. The second time was some fruity cooler thingy that had very low alcohol content from what I was told. Apparently, I got a red face according to my family and I felt crappy to. This time I feel worse than that previous time. (Maybe due to the higher alcohol content?) All of these times were with my family so was all good.

    I keep giving alcohol a try but it's not really working so far. I'm planning to try give it a few more tries because I'm assuming it's the brand and type of alcohol I'm trying. I really want to see what the big deal is about with alcohol and why my friends and family like it so much. Thus I only have one question in mind. Does it get any better?

  2. #2
    Retired Staff Reputation: 714
    SnOwBunZz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hamster's closet.
    Posts
    12,749
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Alcohol is indeed an acquired taste. However, there are some forms of alcohol that don't suite you while others (obviously) do.
    I tend to prefer white wine over red wine, 'halfom' (no English name afaik, it's regular blonde beer mixed with table beer) over regular pure beer, wodka over rum etc. It's just a matter of trial and error really. Perhaps a bit of time as well.

    DO TRY TO BE RESPONSIBLE AND DON'T START TO BINGE DRINK TRYING TO FIND WHAT YOU LIKE!
    (yes capital as some people are obviously incapable of understanding responsible drinking)

  3. #3
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 233
    SourChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,753
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    As somebody who's been alcohol dependant for the past year or so, and recently started getting off it with the help of my doctor, I can only suggest staying away completely if you can help it.

    I was pouring £100 a week into alcohol that I drank at home, and £80+ on a night out, which just used up my full wage slip every month. It's genuinely life-ruining if you get to that point - the negative effects far outweigh the positive in all honesty. The only positive thing I found that I got from it was more confidence.

    If you really feel like you NEED to try alcohol properly, try a shot of Jack Daniel's or Jameson mixed with coke (I wouldn't suggest double/triples yet if you just want to try it) or some Irish coffee (If you like coffee, of course)
    You may even prefer cocktails or alcopops.. I dunno, it's about trying different things and finding "your drink"

  4. #4
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    If you don't like the hard stuff by it's self I recommend find a nice smooth liquor to mix with it.
    Baileys Irish Creme?
    Kahlua coffee liquor?
    Experiment with Triple Sec and Blue Curaçao. They're generally smooth with a citrus taste.

    Maybe try which ever flavor sounds best to you in Schnapps form?

    But that's liquor.

    Wine is a different matter... A merlot is a bad beginner win. It's a bit too dry/strong. I suggest maybe a white zinfandel.

  5. #5
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    the only alcoholic drinks i really like are dark ales.

  6. #6
    in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151
    Oisterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Trash Boat
    Posts
    25,819
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Kahlua and milk. Its chocolate milk for adults. You can almost mix it at a 1:1 ratio before its too much, but do a 1:2 and you'll be set.

    Also, beer and OJ. Go ahead and laugh at me...then do it and come back and tell me its your new favorite drink.

  7. #7
    Marineking's Minion Reputation: 125

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    In my little box.
    Posts
    2,926
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    i love the taste of wine. i got some little i think flavored botteles of mixed berry beer that i do enjoy but rare drink ^^

  8. #8
    $$$
    Guest

    Default

    There's no reason to drink alcohol if you don't like it.

  9. #9
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 416

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    6,574
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1nGs3N4yuk1 View Post
    I really want to see what the big deal is about with alcohol and why my friends and family like it so much. Thus I only have one question in mind. Does it get any better?
    I think before giving you advice on alcohol you need to know that you shouldn't concern yourself over what others like and what you don't.

  10. #10
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366
    marcipaans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Director of Acquisitions
    Posts
    9,863
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    21yrs old and drank alcohol like 5-6 times. In all of them just the bare minimum and all of those times it was disgusting. I tried beer, wine, champagne, scotch, whiskey and something else. Hated every single one fo them. I can't, and probably won't, understand how other people can even finish a single bottle of beer. If I am going to drink something alcoholic I am going to get some sort of a cocktail which tastes more like a lemonade but still retains that little bit of "tipsy" and is actually tasty.
    I drink to enjoy the flavor not to get drunk.


  11. #11
    Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 267
    FluffyKitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,493
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Yes, yes it does
    No, no it doesn't

  12. #12
    春光乍泄 Reputation: 193
    Raiyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Iguazu Falls
    Posts
    13,561
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    It's definitely an acquired taste but I think that if you don't like it just don't bother lol... unless you're looking to get smashed or something. I only consume certain alcoholic drinks for the taste, not for the effects.

    If you rescue me, I'll be your friend forever. -- Loric
    Last.fm
    Hey Raiyne

  13. #13
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Just stay the hell away from the stuff

    Stay frosty.

  14. #14
    Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 316
    Pok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,561
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Backstory: I used to be a bartender, I find alcohol to be an interesting part of human culture and history. If you really don't enjoy it, don't do it, and if you do enjoy it try to do it responsibly. If you're out with the intention to get wrecked drink lots of water, or juice, or something to replace your electrolytes. Alcohol will suck the water out of your cells, causing more to initially be in your blood stream, causing you to pee, causing you to dehydrate yourself = hangover.

    Quote Originally Posted by M1nGs3N4yuk1 View Post
    I'm 20 right now and turning 21 in a month. I just tried half a wine glass of "Kendall Jackson's Grand Reserve Merlot" just for the hell of it because I was bored and wanted to experiment. The smell was bad and the taste was bad. I forced myself to finished that half glass and every sip after the previous was just worse. I felt like I needed to puke after the last sip. Right now I can feel my face being hot and a bit of a headache. I also feel a bit of pressure pressing on the side of my head. It's a bit harder to concentrate/focus and had difficulty walking from my room to the kitchen. I still feel sober though.

    This was the 3rd time that I've tried alcohol. The first time was an extremely small amount of Heineken beer that my brother finished for me because I hated the bitterness of it. The second time was some fruity cooler thingy that had very low alcohol content from what I was told. Apparently, I got a red face according to my family and I felt crappy to. This time I feel worse than that previous time. (Maybe due to the higher alcohol content?) All of these times were with my family so was all good.

    I keep giving alcohol a try but it's not really working so far. I'm planning to try give it a few more tries because I'm assuming it's the brand and type of alcohol I'm trying. I really want to see what the big deal is about with alcohol and why my friends and family like it so much. Thus I only have one question in mind. Does it get any better?
    I had a friend who claimed she was allergic to alcohol and had a similar flushing symptom that you mentioned, being allergic to alcohol itself is quite rare, it's more likely that it's due to some other ingredient in the drink than the ethanol. I personally hate red wines I'd have to struggle drinking it as well. Heineken isn't bad, but it usually isn't what people start out with.

    If you want something easy to drink but doesn't look girly (like many of the youngsters that I dealt with half of it was image) I suggest something with coke in it:

    Vanilla vodka + coke: Tastes like vanilla coke
    Rum + coke: Rums differ greatly from each other, I'd probably suggest a spiced rum
    Fireball + coke: Fireball is a whiskey that has a cinnamon flavour to it

    If you don't care about what your drink looks like there are plenty that taste like some sort of candy.
    Raspberry sourpuss + Blue curaçao + sprite = tastes like the candy nerds


    Quote Originally Posted by marcipaans View Post
    21yrs old and drank alcohol like 5-6 times. In all of them just the bare minimum and all of those times it was disgusting. I tried beer, wine, champagne, scotch, whiskey and something else. Hated every single one fo them. I can't, and probably won't, understand how other people can even finish a single bottle of beer. If I am going to drink something alcoholic I am going to get some sort of a cocktail which tastes more like a lemonade but still retains that little bit of "tipsy" and is actually tasty.
    I drink to enjoy the flavor not to get drunk.
    I wouldn't suggest any of those for someone to drink their first time. Most beers, wines, and whiskeys (including scotches) are an acquired taste.



    Drinking ethanol can be beneficial to your health if you do it in moderation, if you go overboard it can be deadly (and is hell to detox from)
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlazex View Post
    sorry for you have the evil heart in the universe. your type are just destroy are world
    The battle of science vs. religion ended when churches started putting lightning rods on their steeples.

  15. #15
    Pipster's Punk Reputation: 83
    M1nGs3N4yuk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    2,489
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I did some a bit of googling after I woke up to why I had severe nasal congestion and being extremely cold last night. Nasal congestion along with skin flushing and a mild headache, it looks like I might be mildly allergic to alcohol. Looks like I will be avoiding alcohol from now on.

  16. #16
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    alcohol is a filthy disgusting poison and is deadly. the only reason it's allowed is because big business is lobbying for it -- otherwise it is as bad as cocaine, heroin and all drugs which are banned because there is no business lobby. Big alcohol business needs to be shut down and all their directors THROWN INTO PRISON FOREEEVEERRR!!!!!

    Last edited by queenvoo; 11-30-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

    http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

  17. #17
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    okay thar .

  18. #18
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Like you, I was also curious what the hype was: the buzz. It can make you feel light, happy, silly, and like a slinky. I recommend only drinking during social settings so you can throw yourself all over people and cause a giggling chain-reaction. Drinking alone is just depressing and a waste of alcohol. However, not everyone has the same response to alcohol consumption.

    I didn't get drunk until I was either 20 or 21, but I had tried sips of different wine coolers and beers throughout my teenage years. I only drink enough just for a buzz; I'm always coherent and remember everything. I've had one hangover, but it was worth.

    Some alcohol is horrendous while others are diviiiine. Most people, including myself, don't drink alcohol necessarily for the taste, but to acquire a buzz. Go for hard liquor if you want to reach a buzz without having to gulp down copious amounts of shit. Although you will have to endure a vile taste of chemical for a brief second once or twice. One and a half shots of vodka and I'm tipsy. It will likely take you a little more than me because I assume you're male and probably taller than 5'1".

    If I want something tasty, I go for mixed drinks, white wine, wine coolers, and Smirnoff. I highly highly suggest Smirnoff. There are various flavors and they taste so good. I also suggest WHITE wine. White wine is sweeter, while red wine is more tart. I'm not a huge fan of red wine, but I've slowly acquired a taste for it. Wine is also good for your heart, so get on with your bad self, you lush!

    Quote Originally Posted by M1nGs3N4yuk1 View Post
    I did some a bit of googling after I woke up to why I had severe nasal congestion and being extremely cold last night. Nasal congestion along with skin flushing and a mild headache, it looks like I might be mildly allergic to alcohol. Looks like I will be avoiding alcohol from now on.
    This doesn't necessarily mean you're allergic. Wine contains sugar, which can cause a headache. Dehydration also causes headaches, which alcohol can induce.

    Nasal congestion and skin flushing sounds relevant to the season and a mild hangover.

    Moreover, alcohol in moderation is completely fine and even beneficial in regards to wine. But your alcoholic consumption is completely up to your discretion.
    Last edited by TuxedoSam; 12-01-2013 at 12:04 AM.

  19. #19
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 610

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,357
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    alcohol is best.
    whoever says otherwise is a) drinking too much or b) drinking gross shit.

  20. #20
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52
    Heartyace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,343
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I hate Alcohol, I even hate molt (In some form).But my parents insist on putting both in their carrot juice during thanks giving.
    God it makes the carrot juice taste weird. but carrot juice is just so good.

    Yeah it's an acquired taste.
    My friends dad said it taste like the atmosphere. I want to ask him what he meant by this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your average commentor
    If she has anime flu, she will die.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

  21. #21
    Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 92
    Klaime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,134
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Alcohol is an acquired taste. Just don't drink the cheap shit if you want to get into it and since you're new, I suggest staying away from liquor.

  22. #22
    TOTALFVCKBOY Reputation: 762
    Xenonight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    www.onrpg.com
    Posts
    14,220
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    children informing children about alcohol

  23. #23
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    children informing children about alcohol
    How dare you... You have insulted my honor, sir. I demand satisfaction!

  24. #24
    Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 316
    Pok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,561
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    children informing children about alcohol
    He's right, to appeal to the more sophisticated crowd:



    Moonshine, golly it's good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlazex View Post
    sorry for you have the evil heart in the universe. your type are just destroy are world
    The battle of science vs. religion ended when churches started putting lightning rods on their steeples.

  25. #25
    Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 92
    Barrettblatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    718
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I believe you should only drink things that taste good. Why suffer through a terrible drink?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •