Thread: Challenging PvE MMORPG

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Smile Challenging PvE MMORPG

Hello everyone.
    I am looking for a challenging group based MMORPG. What I am looking for...
    -Nice variety of classes and nice skill system.
    -Non quest based MMORPG (not like rift/wow/ seems to be what every game is based off now though)
    -Challenging dungeons and other nice PvE content.
    The games I am thinking about trying are Final Fantasy 11 and Wizadry online. If someone who played Final Fantasy 11 can give some helpful information I would appreciate it. My main concern is if it is about just killing monsters or if it is about constantly doing quest. The class system looks nice. Red Mage, Blue Mage and Geomancer really interest me. If anyone played Wizardry I would like to hear your opinion.
    Right now I am playing Ragnarok online and am just wondering if there is anything out there.

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Entropia Universe is an extremely challenging sandbox game.
    There are quests but non are required, the maps are huge and you can do what you want and go where you want, including going to other planets and exploring them as well.

EntropiaPlanets - Fan Site I am involved with
    Entropia Wiki

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

I guess any action MMO are challenging...

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257

Challenging MMOs don't really do well... Hmm. I would say that the only challenging MMOs out there are the ones where you have to compete with players for rankings or territory!

Yes, Wizardry Online has permadeath (so does Realm of the Mad God and Path of Exile) so I would say they are hard - at least until you advance through most of the learning-curve. Any action or FPS game with a PvP leaderboard can be hard (Firefall..?) but that's the PvP aspect making it challenging because people are so adaptable to PvP and politics! I suppose I would recommend Path of Exile and Firefall

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 46

Firefall closed PvP for now, except for the small FFA section outside of Sunken Harbor. just an FYI
    Messing around.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 383

if you're not FULLY against wowish style. Vanguard and Asheron's call 2

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 20

well seems that there not not many hard mmos , path of exile i guess .

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 139

Pre-renewal Ragnarok Online.

Wizardry Online works fine too but it's mostly hard due to dungeon PK rather than PVE.

I'd say Dungeon and Dragons Online, but you need to unlock higher difficulties if you aren't subscribed. And it requires a good and versatile team to play with.

Phantasy Star Online is also quite challenging, especially the boss battles.

And the Kingdom Quests in Fiesta Online are also a nice challenge.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

May not subscribe to FFXIV, but if you are looking for a group-challenge PVE contented game, then it is a winner. Finding the people who are competent enough and being able to find space for yourself will be hard. You can't just pug through the end-game.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 11

RIFT has the most challenging dungeons i've ever seen. Bet there's no other game offering such intensive teamplay.

General Manager Reputation: 526

Assuming gear hasn't destroyed the challenge (I haven't played for a while), TERA has some truly brutal instanced challenges towards the end of the game.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Girls dont even look up [anymore], I feel like they're brainless zombies controlled by their iphones. - Abhorsen

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Battleborn, Herowarz
    History: Stardew Valley, Blade & Soul, Elsword, Dragon Ball Xenoverse FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    Assuming gear hasn't destroyed the challenge (I haven't played for a while), TERA has some truly brutal instanced challenges towards the end of the game.
    Tera is still an ok game for who did not got bored with it. Didn't got screwed as yet. I recommend it.

I am quite sick of it tho, i'm playing that game from korean beta test, went through all focus tests to beta...that was a loooong run for me. I badly need a new game :/

Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117

Quote Originally Posted by Aefoa View Post
    RIFT has the most challenging dungeons i've ever seen. Bet there's no other game offering such intensive teamplay.
    RIFT is mostly quest-based and seriously PVP-based (OP wants PVE.)

Aura Kingdom's Tower is really hard. But that's just optional content, game is quest-based too for the most part. (Loyalty Points require you to do side-quests.) From what I know of the Tower, even at level cap, that tower (100 floors total) got a team wiped who was super-buffed (In-Line Read: Level-capped Super-buffed team wiped on floor 8 of 100.) The tower even has mobs over the level cap higher up.

Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII Saving For: New Computer

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    RIFT is mostly quest-based and seriously PVP-based (OP wants PVE.)
    Clearly hasn't played Rift.
    Fastest way to level in rift is Instant adventure (essentially the fate system in FFXIV), honestly you don't have to touch quest if you don't feel like it.
    PvE in rift is probably the most fun you'll have in a while because the sense of teamwork. Raids are just plain fun with the right group, I can't say it's too challenging but on your first runs. You'll have a few obstacles.

But, like Dizzy said. TERA had some tough endgame content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your average commentor
    If she has anime flu, she will die.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 29

Only challenging mmo I've played is probably Tera.. Other games I've played don't really come close when it comes to pve content.

Some of the content in Tera is easy but their are some challenging BAM's and instances.

I am trying final fantasy 11 now. The class system really intrigues me. Rift is a fun game and I might go back to it someday. All I know is I played with my brother throughout it and the game was very very easy. Dungeons had some challenge though. But basically I played a pyro/chlor and could heal my brother full well pulling any amount of mobs without worrying. Thanks for the ideas for some games that might be fun. Tera does seem fun but the classes seem very lame, with almost no customization.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by onrpgjoe View Post
    Tera does seem fun but the classes seem very lame, with almost no customization.
    You must be kidding here.. Tera, after PW, is the most customisable char game currently existent on market

I think you misinterpreted what I was talking about. Not how the character looks but how they play. There are 8 very generic classes and you can use glyphs to change a little bit but. I wasn't talking about character customization, I was talking about class customization with skills/talents/playstyle. I really don't care how my character looks.

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
    You must be kidding here.. Tera, after PW, is the most customisable char game currently existent on market
    Not that it's too relevant, but TERA has pretty average character aesthetic customization.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 29

Quote Originally Posted by onrpgjoe View Post
    I think you misinterpreted what I was talking about. Not how the character looks but how they play. There are 8 very generic classes and you can use glyphs to change a little bit but. I wasn't talking about character customization, I was talking about class customization with skills/talents/playstyle. I really don't care how my character looks.
    That's true the game simply comes down to has the best gear and skill/Aim/Lag.. Everyone will most likely have the same build when they get there VM2 gear etc.

It's still a good game but I find the gear grind kinda meh and hated how I lagged so much in pvp, even on 1 settings I lagged when I was around a group of people :/

Forum PvPer Reputation: 383

Quote Originally Posted by Technikal View Post
    That's true the game simply comes down to has the best gear and skill/Aim/Lag.. Everyone will most likely have the same build when they get there VM2 gear etc.

It's still a good game but I find the gear grind kinda meh and hated how I lagged so much in pvp, even on 1 settings I lagged when I was around a group of people :/
    sounds like bad coding more than anything.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 20

atlantica was really interesting not that hard but you cant just attack randomly either .

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

Go start any MMO and don't get any new equipment/upgrade equipment. You can challenge yourself too if you want.
    I do that to myself at times, but only in action games.