Where Are The Flying Games?

View Poll Results: Do you like to superman?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wish there were more as well

2 40.00%
  • I suck and do not want this

3 60.00%
    Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Default Where Are The Flying Games?

Do not tell me about vehicular flying games, please, you know damn well I already know about those as does everyone, so I must not be referring to them, right (rhetorical)? I am strictly referring to the way Superheroes typically fly. I do not even mean Zone Of The Ender (humanoid and basically has the mechanics I'm referring to but it's a vehicle) or Ironman (technically a vehicle), just games where one has the ability to fly. Are there any? Please list the ones with preferably not just a brief segment of the game like in Kingdom Hearts. Please, tell me there are games like this, it is awfully strange that out of all the games in existence barely any of them allow us to freely fly about without mods or rails or as a scrolling shooter. I just want to freely fly, as in NOT a e.g. rail shooter.

No vehicle! Just flying around all open world style, as a power like Goku or Superman does. Decent mods might be acceptable... but I mostly just mean games developed with flying in mind as an actual gaming mechanic.
    Last edited by Xenogears; 12-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Champions Online and DC Universe Online are both superhero themed games and each gives you the ability to choose flying as a super movement power. These two games are probably what will fit what you want the most.

Shores of Hazeron gives you the ability to set up a race that can fly, tho the game is in alpha. Istaria gives you the ability to choose dragons as a race, and once you become an adult dragon (around level 50 or so), you can fly.

World of Warcraft gives you the ability to have flying mounts. Dragon's Prophet has flying dragons you can ride/fly around.

Honestly, I would suggest DCUO and/or Champions Online as they sound exactly what you're looking for.

Also,

you know damn well I already know about those as does everyone, so I must not be referring to them, right (rhetorical)?
    I have no idea what you do or do not know. No reason to get hostile when making a request.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    Where Are The Flying Games?
    City of Heroes :/

War Thunder
    Altitude
    World of Warplanes
    Last edited by Phenoca; 12-08-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Champions Online and DC Universe Online are both superhero themed games and each gives you the ability to choose flying as a super movement power. These two games are probably what will fit what you want the most.

Shores of Hazeron gives you the ability to set up a race that can fly, tho the game is in alpha. Istaria gives you the ability to choose dragons as a race, and once you become an adult dragon (around level 50 or so), you can fly.

World of Warcraft gives you the ability to have flying mounts. Dragon's Prophet has flying dragons you can ride/fly around.

Honestly, I would suggest DCUO and/or Champions Online as they sound exactly what you're looking for.

Also,

I have no idea what you do or do not know. No reason to get hostile when making a request.
    Sorry, didn't mean that people know what I know, I mean that it should be obvious but it really isn't obvious from my statement this time, I've just become frustrated asking for e.g. anime recommendations, stressing the importance of it being the likes of Ghost In The Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Texhnolyze, Gilgamesh, Witch Hunter Robin, Kite, Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea, Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade et cetera and having people consistently follow that with recommendations for Naruto or One Piece... claiming that if I liked those, I will love Naruto and One Piece, and that they're the same style as the ones I mentioned.

Anyway, thanks but do you notice that your list is rather small? Why are there so few flying games in existence when it's one of, if not thee, main thing people would love to be able to do?
    Last edited by Xenogears; 12-08-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 58

When i see flying in the game, it's either good like DC or CoH/CoV where it feels like part of the game with the tall buildings and such...

but 99% we get this
    -> Here's flying now you can drop into the zone you need to go to, why mount there the ground terrain isn't amazing because we don't want to make a nice game world... please fly everywhere

-> Nothing to make flying fun, is there combat in the air... if the answer is no

here is what flying does

-> Removes the threat of the world
    -> Removes enjoying the world
    -> The world generally looks like crap because they know all they will do is be rushing place to place and might as well let you blink to the location you want to go to
    600$ PC (not including HD and Case since using previous one)

Windows 7 (Direct X Awesomeness)
    Intel I5 2400 1355 Socket (210$)
    HD 5770 x2 (got them on sale) (200$)
    8 GB of Ram (60$)
    PCI Sound card 7.1 (40$)
    Motherboard (60$)

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    Anyway, thanks but do you notice that your list is rather small? Why are there so few flying games in existence when it's one of, if not thee, main thing people would love to be able to do?
    There are more games, I believe. Like Flyff, or Perfect World (I think). Age of Wushu has movement abilities, and you can use a glitch/technique to produce a sort of flying effect, but it doesn't last long (very fun game tho).

Part of the reason is that it's a lot more difficult to develop a game that has a decent flying system. The people that go and make games are either one of two types. There are those that join a company and make the game that they are told to make (big corporate companies, usually). Then there are those that make the game that they want (Indie developers, usually). The issue is that big corporate developers, that have the man power to make these games, often do not bother which has resulted in a surpisingly low number of games that feature something neat like flying in a capacity that actually matters in the game (DCUO/Champions Online/City of Heroes, for example... and the reason that flying is in those games is because flying is often an important factor in super hero stories). And of indie developers, there are relatively few who have the experience, knowledge, and ability to actually make a game, and of those, very few (I guess) have the dream or drive to make a game that features flying.

It might seem like something that a lot of people want (flying that doesn't feature vehicles... helicopters/airplanes/jets/etc...), but the reality is that of those that want it, very few actually have the drive and ability to make a game. Although, it is becoming a bit more popular, in my opinion, and I'm guessing that over the next few years we'll get more and more games that have flying in it. Whether or not the flying will actually be interesting or fun is another matter.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

The kind of game that I think of when you mentioned flying games are the shmups...now I suddenly miss those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadiel View Post
    When i see flying in the game, it's either good like DC or CoH/CoV where it feels like part of the game with the tall buildings and such...

but 99% we get this
    -> Here's flying now you can drop into the zone you need to go to, why mount there the ground terrain isn't amazing because we don't want to make a nice game world... please fly everywhere

-> Nothing to make flying fun, is there combat in the air... if the answer is no

here is what flying does

-> Removes the threat of the world
    -> Removes enjoying the world
    -> The world generally looks like crap because they know all they will do is be rushing place to place and might as well let you blink to the location you want to go to
    Yeah, you don't need mounts. Not a bad thing if that's what you mean, though vehicles can still be used to make the player faster or more powerful like riding a dragon.
    It doesn't need to be detailed in the traditional sense, Minecraft is popular without looking nice.
    Threat of the world? No, it doesn't really, not if you're confined enough to have to watch out for traps, you don't necessarily know what's around the next bend.
    Zone of The Enders looks nice and it has flying enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    There are more games, I believe. Like Flyff, or Perfect World (I think). Age of Wushu has movement abilities, and you can use a glitch/technique to produce a sort of flying effect, but it doesn't last long (very fun game tho).

Part of the reason is that it's a lot more difficult to develop a game that has a decent flying system. The people that go and make games are either one of two types. There are those that join a company and make the game that they are told to make (big corporate companies, usually). Then there are those that make the game that they want (Indie developers, usually). The issue is that big corporate developers, that have the man power to make these games, often do not bother which has resulted in a surpisingly low number of games that feature something neat like flying in a capacity that actually matters in the game (DCUO/Champions Online/City of Heroes, for example... and the reason that flying is in those games is because flying is often an important factor in super hero stories). And of indie developers, there are relatively few who have the experience, knowledge, and ability to actually make a game, and of those, very few (I guess) have the dream or drive to make a game that features flying.

It might seem like something that a lot of people want (flying that doesn't feature vehicles... helicopters/airplanes/jets/etc...), but the reality is that of those that want it, very few actually have the drive and ability to make a game. Although, it is becoming a bit more popular, in my opinion, and I'm guessing that over the next few years we'll get more and more games that have flying in it. Whether or not the flying will actually be interesting or fun is another matter.
    You might be right but that brings to mind the everpopular flying mods produced by not just indie devs but mere modders, flying mods for games that can do it, are obligatory at this point, more so than nude modifications even.

Quote Originally Posted by skiper View Post
    The kind of game that I think of when you mentioned flying games are the shmups...now I suddenly miss those games.
    No shmups for me. Get on an emulator if you miss them so. It will be an even better experience. In fact, I believe there are plenty of modern PC shmups.

It would be particularly good if a game were to take after Determinance but not be limited to being akin to a traditional mere multiplayer or dueling game. It even has the mouse gesture combat I've yearned for, though it's not exactly the most well developed game in the world, very low budget but if an indie dev were to make a game out of that, a real game, that would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoKLmE81y1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75iui7rdks
    Last edited by Xenogears; 12-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

Got an emulator and played some. Oh yeah that's awesome.

Uhh...anyways, back to the topic. Would you have that flying component as a means for combat as well or just for travelling?